robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

So, will this committee that likes to repremand Hakuho all the time for silly reasons do something about Takakeisho spoiling the yusho race? What was the point of him coming back injured and be put on the schedulle to then drop the next day when he is due to fight one of yusho contenders giving him a freebie?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Good news: The pack has tightened, creating more potential yusho scenarios.

Kak & Tochi's loss put all those 6-2 rikishis back in yusho contention.

15 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Ichinojo is probably a yokozuna material if he has half of Shohozan's mean streak.  

I agree. But he doesn't.

Posted (edited)

Of the 5 makuuchi rikishi who are at their career highest rank:

• Takakeisho - will keep his Ozeki rank regardless 
  • Meisei, Shimanoumi, Tomokaze are at 4-4 - I like all their chances of KK
  • Enho is at 6-2, and is likely to be at another career high rank for the next basho.

Any predictions on who will continue to rise up in the next basho and why?   Meisei & Shimanoumi seem to have gotten some momentum after so so start.  Tomokaze's KK streak is on the line but seems to be inconsistent at the current level.  He may still end with 8-7 KK.

Edited by robnplunder

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

So, will this committee that likes to repremand Hakuho all the time for silly reasons do something about Takakeisho spoiling the yusho race? What was the point of him coming back injured and be put on the schedulle to then drop the next day when he is due to fight one of yusho contenders giving him a freebie?

If it’s true Takakeisho isn’t coming back then that is another example of how injured rikishi can ruin the integrity of the tournament by entering when they shouldn’t. The NSK had to put him on the schedule for the following day, so that’s irreversible. Kakuryu should be rightly miffed about that, though of course it would be excellent news for Tochinoshin, who will stay at least a Sekiwake for July and move to within two of regaining his Ozeki rank with a whole week left in which to do it.

Edited by Eikokurai

49 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Of the 5 makuuchi rikishi who are at their career highest rank:

• Takakeisho - will keep his Ozeki rank regardless 
  • Meisei, Shimanoumi, Tomokaze are at 4-4 - I like all their chances of KK
  • Enho is at 6-2, and is likely to be at another career high rank for the next basho.

Any predictions on who will continue to rise up in the next basho and why?   Meisei & Shimanoumi seem to have gotten some momentum after so so start.  Tomokaze's KK streak is on the line but seems to be inconsistent at the current level.  He may still end with 8-7 KK.

Daishoho didn’t move between March and May, so remains at his career high of M16e. He’s at 5-3 right now so edging steadily towards a kachikoshi.

At 6-2, fighting from M15w, Kotoeko is on course to go higher than his best of M14e.

• Like 1

Poor Mita, totally unfair.

With my boy Ichi out, my homie Kaisei also out, Takakeisho injured, Hak's kiujo and Trump on senshuraku this may become the worst basho ever. F*. (Weeping...)

At least Toshi can regain his rank and Enho is doing f* fiiiine.

• Sad 1

Bad luck for Mitakeumi who should be one off the pace. Hopefully he can display mental resolve and come up strong and not let this defeat change the momentum of the great sumo he displayed in week 1. With only Tochinoshin left on his schedule fom Sanyaku, Mitakeumi should still be able to put up a 10-5 or 11-4 record.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

Bad luck for Mitakeumi who should be one off the pace. Hopefully he can display mental resolve and come up strong and not let this defeat change the momentum of the great sumo he displayed in week 1. With only Tochinoshin left on his schedule fom Sanyaku, Mitakeumi should still be able to put up a 10-5 or 11-4 record.

Mitakeumi is not known for having a strong showing in the last 8 days.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Mitakeumi is not known for having a strong showing in the last 7 days.

I think that storyline is a little misleading. Most of his poor 2nd week's were because he was at Sekiwake rank and facing the top rankers in the 2nd week.

He will drop random matches against rikishi that he normally has no trouble disposing of. For him to take his sumo to the Ozeki level, he needs to dispatch of the maegashira on a more regular basis. 

With Hokutofuji, Tochinoshin, Endo, Daieisho, Chiyotairyu, Okinoumi, Abi on the docket, a rikishi ready to make an Ozeki run would go 6-1 and finish with an 11-4 record. 10-5 would be acceptable, but anything less would be disappointing for my favorite rikishi.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Gospodin said:

IMO the last 2-3 years are more a return to normalty. It was the 15-year reign of two exceptional rikishi before, who reduced the entire rest to second tier status. It must be quite hard to develop equally good talent if all are stopped cold once they reach the joi and have to fight Asashoryu and/or Hakuho.

Personally I am pleased that this era of complete dominance is over. It should also raise the overall level of competition.

Hakuho was 15-0 in his last basho and won't return to action until he's completely ready to compete again. That  could happen in Nagoya, but if he feels he needs more time, he'll be kyujo again. Such is the privilege of a yokozuna, especially the greatest of them all. Whatever he chooses to do, we'll see a completely healthy Hakuho again reasonably soon. Barring extremely severe injury, he should be active for at least another year. Even though he's getting older and is more prone to injury, he's still far better than anyone else. As long as he's around, this "era of complete dominance" is definitely not over.   

Edited by sekitori

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

I think that storyline is a little misleading. Most of his poor 2nd week's were because he was at Sekiwake rank and facing the top rankers in the 2nd week.

Not really if you look at each basho.  In some bashos, he lost too many in 2nd half to lesser opponents.  I.e, I don't believe his poor 2nd half results are b/c he faced more sanyukus in 2nd half.   In fact, in many bashos, some sanyukus were kyujo in 2nd half of the basho.   

Edited by robnplunder

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Daishoho didn’t move between March and May, so remains at his career high of M16e. He’s at 5-3 right now so edging steadily towards a kachikoshi.

My bad.   I knew I forgot someone and it was Diaisoho who has been inching up the ladder, one rung at a time.

Women's gymnastics can't interrupt my viewing today!

IMG-20190520-135716477.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Women's gymnastics can't interrupt my viewing today!

IMG-20190520-135716477.jpg

Cue a group of women in leotards sitting in the box in front of you.

And then forming a human pyramid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

Remember Hakuho wasn't that great comming up the ranks and even had losing records in the lower divisions.

Not seeing this in the data.  He's had two MK in completed basho, a 3-4 in the lowest division in his first seven-bout basho and another 3-4 after six KK.  After that there are zero MK in completed basho in almost 17 years.  No lower division yushos, but who needs them?  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:

Not seeing this in the data.  He's had two MK in completed basho, a 3-4 in the lowest division in his first seven-bout basho and another 3-4 after six KK.  After that there are zero MK in completed basho in almost 17 years.  No lower division yushos, but who needs them?  

Hakuho’s numbers in the lower divisions only look good in retrospect, because we now know who he went on to be, but at the time those numbers were not all that noteworthy. Many a rikishi before him had produced similar or better records and gone on to achieve very little. His potential was known, but plenty of people also thought he was too small (it took him two years to reach the weight Enho is now). There wasn’t much to suggest he was going to become a great Yokozuna. His rise through the toriteki ranks was modestly paced, with no real breakthrough or standout tournaments, and it took him more than two and a half years to work his way up to sekitori status. Maybe that’s what RPedro had in mind.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Hakuho’s numbers in the lower divisions only look good in retrospect, because we now know who he went on to be, but at the time those numbers were not all that noteworthy. Many a rikishi before him had produced similar or better records and gone on to achieve very little. His potential was known, but plenty of people also thought he was too small (it took him two years to reach the weight Enho is now). There wasn’t much to suggest he was going to become a great Yokozuna. His rise through the toriteki ranks was modestly paced, with no real breakthrough or standout tournaments, and it took him more than two and a half years to work his way up to sekitori status. Maybe that’s what RPedro had in mind.

One can say pretty much the same for Chiyonofuji and he turned out ok :-).

Enho did it again.  Even if he loses the rest of the way, he already had a successful Makuuchi debut.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Koteoko ends the run of a different kimarite in every bout at five. I feel the need to find out what the longest streak of unique kimarite is. In this basho it was seven on day three. Anyone know?

Kagayaki really has the best belly flop in sumo right now. Today's one against Shodai was a thing of beauty. I think he even attempted a pike on the way down.

I enjoyed Onosho v Yoshikaze, including the apologetic way Onosho nestled his head on Yoshikaze's chest after the second matta. 

Asanoyama is first to kachikoshi, though he let a couple of chances to end the bout slip past when Ryuden was stumbling. Still, he's technically in the yusho race.

Disappointed for Myogiryu in that one. I wanted him to win just for that great bit of defence in the middle of the bout, but Takayasu was patient.

Edited by Eikokurai

Posted (edited)

Enho, Kotoeko, and whole bunch of others are "technically" in the yusho race.  Asanoyama is "solidly" in the race :-).  Mymoney is still on Kak or Tochi.

Of the rikishi who are at their career best rank, 

• Enho & Daishoho improved their chance at promotion to higher rank.  Enho is certain to KK.   Daishoho, too.
  • Meisei, Shimanoumi, and Tomokaze are fighting for KK.  Of the 3, I don't like Tomokaze's chance at moving up.  He's riding a losing streak and faces strong Takarafuji next.  I see Tomo going 4-6 after tomorrow & eventually MK, stopping his  KK streak at 12 bashos.  

Goeido got an easy win against Abi whom I think can use more lower body strength.  He seems to lose balance too easily. 

Takayasu got the hard win against his nemesis, Myogiryu.  Despite Takayasu's 6-3 record so far, he seems to be barely getting by this basho.   

And the good Mitakeumi showed up today.  

Edited by robnplunder

Hoshoryu lost his third bout today (i.e., 2–3).  He needs to win his next two to avoid his first ever MK.  He came from behind last tournament.  Let's see if he can do it again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

He has used that kimarite twice so far this tournament.  You may be on to something.  But I suspect that ashitori is one of those techniques that bigger/taller wrestlers tend not to use because they'd have to really bend low to reach behind their opponents legs/knees.

But so far this tournament, Enho has used 5 different kimarite, and a couple of somewhat uncommon ones.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a Technique Prize in his Makuuchi debut, as long has he gets 8 or 9 wins.  ... Wait a second.  Mainoumi received a Technique Prize in his Makuuchi debut.  Wouldn't you know it. ;-)

Should Enho ever use mitokorozeme (三所攻め) it's safe to say my heart would probably stop. I hope he gets that Gino-sho and many more in the years to come, we need a new waza no depaato!. Saying that Terutsuyoshi's awesome okurigake today would have shown Mainoumi up (glad they rechanged the kimarite on that one)

• Like 2

I'm glad Takakeisho is out, but giving out fusen wins is embaresing for the sport.  The ozeki squad is heating up. It's Kakuryu's basho to lose. Enho looks on track for a prize. 

16 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Of course, I dislike the fact that Endo spoiled Tochi's winning streak.  But in a way he was keeping Tochi (and sumo) honest, and now the Georgian will have to fight a little harder tomorrow.

Well, then... :-D

Also! The twins are on an impressive streak. 14-0 between them. They've all but assured promotion - perhaps Takanofuji might still have to get one more win to 100% force a return to Juryo for sure, but Takagenji is certainly guaranteed a makuuchi debut at this point.

All the little guys in Makuuchi won today and handily. Terutsoyoshi was the standout, and the look on Toyonoshima's face after he lost to Enho was priceless. He looked across at Enho and was like "damn, he got me!"