robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

Posted (edited)

It’s proving to be a pretty rubbish day for the sanyaku, Aoiyama aside.

Edit: Holy crap.

Edited by Eikokurai

Well, uhh...that sure was a day of sumo. Things had actually become so strange, I expected Kakuryu to lose, and he did. So now Asanoyama is in the lead. I'm just stunned. But, things like this are what make sumo so interesting: you just never know, and sometimes the impossible occurs. 

Posted (edited)

Day 11 ends with five straight upsets that, I dare say, few could have predicted (especially not all five)!(Pullinghair...) 

And Asanoyama was virtually handed his 10th win by being matched against Sadanoumi who has been only breaking even thus far in the tournament and is ten spots lower on the banzuke than Asanoyama.  What was the logic behind that?  It is as though the NSK wants to have Asanoyama leading the pack or at least remaining in the race.  Finally, they have had the good sense to pit him against a tough customer (i.e., Tamawashi) tomorrow.  But is that move too late?  Will the scheduling result in another hiramaku yusho (rank-and-file championship)?

Edited by Amamaniac

This basho just became very  interesting.   Asanoyama has a shot at the yusho and I am all for it.  Go, Asanoyama.  You have destiny at your own hands.

Today is one of that days that remember me that Sumo is truly unpredictable.

About the new generation, I've always preferred Asanoyama since the first moment I've seen him. More than Takakeisho or Onosho. Tomorrow he'll take Tamawashi.
I think It's a test. If he wins, he'll have a true chance.

5 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Day 11 ends with five straight upsets that, I dare say, few could have predicted (especially not all five)!(Pullinghair...) 

I would have been 0-5 had I predicted.   Weird but that's ozumo.   I thought this basho was going smoothly for Kak's yusho.   

2 minutes ago, Fede said:

Tomorrow he'll take Tamawashi.

It is going to be tough.   I am reluctantly predicting Tamawashi's win.  He is on a 4 match win streak and really looked good in doing, starting with beating Kak.  He'd been in yusho contention had he not started out poorly.

I'm going on record as saying that the officiating in this tournament has been disappointingly poor.  Between miscalls by the gyoji referees, to missed monoiis by the shimpan judges, to bungled announcements by the head judge (yes, singular), the tournament is in shambles in terms of officiating (and even in terms of the sanyaku).  This is verging on disgraceful given the fact that this is the first Grand Sumo Tournament of the Reiwa Era, and all involved should be doing their damnedest to make sure everything is kanpeki perfect.  Sadly, they are not.  And to top everything off, President Trump is going to disrupt things even further on the final day. (Pullinghair...) (my new favourite emoji)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

They’ll be hoping Asanoyama drops a bout against another also-ran to avoid the playoff scenario.

Can't quite understand what "also-ran" means.  

Edited by Amamaniac

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Can't quite understand what "also-ran" means.

Anyone in a contest who doesn’t have a chance of winning. It comes from horse racing I believe. The horses that “also ran” but didn’t come anywhere close to the top three (for which gamblers can win money). So perhaps I shouldn’t have said “another” as Asanoyama in this case isn’t one. :)

It’s also somewhat synonymous now with the mediocre teams in a league, the mid-ranking guys in a race, etc. Not only people with no chance of winning, but really no hope either.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

It is going to be tough.   I am reluctantly predicting Tamawashi's win.  He is on a 4 match win streak and really looked good in doing, starting with beating Kak.  He'd been in yusho contention had he not started out poorly.

Agreed. My only concern about Asanoyama is agaist the sanyaku (or just ex-sanyaku) guys. We'll see tomorrw. Sumo is unpredictable (Laughing...)

Edited by Fede

8 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I'm going on record as saying that the officiating in this tournament has been disappointingly poor.  Between miscalls by the gyoji referees, to missed monoiis by the shimpan judges, to bungled announcements by the head judge (yes, singular), the tournament is in shambles in terms of officiating (and even in terms of the sanyaku).  This is verging on disgraceful given the fact that this is the first Grand Sumo Tournament of the Reiwa Era, and all involved should be doing their damnedest to make sure everything is kanpeki perfect.  Sadly, they are not.  And to top everything off, President Trump is going to disrupt things even further on the final day. (Pullinghair...) (my new favourite emoji)

I agree to certain degree.   When a match is very close, monoii should be called.  In this basho, shimpans behaved like they are scared silly to call a monoii.  Or, they turned a blind eye. There were number of matches that was too close to call for naked eyes.  And yet, I think simple majority of those went ignored, e.g,  no monoii call.   It cost Diaeisho's match today.   For the remaining days, I hope shimpans call monoii when it is too close to call for gyoji.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Fede said:

Agreed. My only concern about Asanoyama is agaist the sanyaku guys. We'll see tomorrw. Sumo is unpredictable (Laughing...)

Will he even face any sanyaku before a playoff? Tomorrow he has Tamawashi and then for the final three days the sanyaku bouts are pretty much fixed. Kakuryu still has to face both Ozeki and Tochinoshin. Both Ozeki still have to face each other, Kakuryu and Tochinoshin. Tochinoshin still has to face Kakuryu and both Ozeki. That’s all three days accounted for unless they swap someone out. They wouldn’t do that if Asanoyama was trailing, but if he’s still in the lead or tied with a couple of days left they could, I suppose, sacrifice an Ozeki bout with Kakuryu or Tochinoshin, since both Ozeki are out of the race. He could also face a/the Komusubi.

Edited by Eikokurai

15 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Anyone in a contest who doesn’t have a chance of winning. It comes from horse racing I believe. The horses that “also ran” but didn’t come anywhere close to the top three (for which gamblers can money). So perhaps I shouldn’t have said “another” as Asanoyama in this case isn’t one. :)

It’s also somewhat synonymous now with the mediocre teams in a league, the mid-ranking guys in a race, etc. Not only people with no chance of winning, but really no hope either.

Yeah, it's a horse racing term.  It just means, IIRC from my race track days, the other horses which were in the race.

11 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Yeah, it's a horse racing term.  It just means, IIRC from my race track days, the other horses which were in the race.

These days it also has the meaning of the ‘losers’ in a competition, at least in British English. 

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/also-ran

18 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I agree to certain degree.   When a match is very close, monoii should be called.  In this basho, shimpans behaved like they are scared silly to call a monoii.  Or, they turned a blind eye. There were number of matches that was too close to call for naked eyes.  And yet, I think simple majority of those went ignored, e.g,  no monoii call.   It cost Diaeisho's match today.   For the remaining days, I hope shimpans call monoii when it is too close to call for gyoji.

It’s one of the peculiar aspects of sumo that the ref has to pick a winner, even if he is unsure. He can’t declare a tie, nor can he call a mono-ii on his own decision (as far as I’m aware). I wonder how often a gyoji wishes a shimpan’s hand would go up and they’d check the tape upstairs.

I am going on record to say Asanoyama will lose all his remaining bouts. Steak, limb and arrow. As for the situation of sumo at present, as I said before, for the first time in decades, there is no responsible adult. Usually, from vacuum comes the next guy. From this vacuum comes only dust. I just truly don't see the next guy on the horizon.

• Like 3

There was a lot to digest in today's action on the dohyo.  Down in the Makushita Division, Hoshoryu managed to avoid MK by defeating Fujiazuma.  He still needs another win to secure his KK.  Meanwhile, his unofficial rival, Naya, lost to none other than bad boy Takanofuji, who protected his perfect record.

Up in the Juryo Division, Takanofuji's twin brother, Takagenji lost to Kotoyuki, seeing his perfect record broken.  I'm not sure whether that was a psychological lapse, but Takagenji has never won against Kotoyuki, and today was no exception.

But the Taka twins still look like odds on favourites to win the Juryo and Makushita championships (please tell me that that have never happened before).

And perhaps the best news of all: Ikioi showed some great fighting spirit and technique in his win against Yutakayama!  The kimarite was kotenage, but there was more throwing (nage) action than one normally sees.  At that drew my attention to the fact that the bandaging on Ikioi's left calf is significantly thinner.  Apparently, the sumo adage of healing an injury in the ring may have some truth to it after all!

46 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

(Pullinghair...) (my new favourite emoji)

Could I borrow that for a second?...

Akiseyama's henka today against poor Mitoryu..(Pullinghair...)

And speaking of such..enter Aminishiki..Japan Sumo channel

I liked how Terutsuyoshi learnt from Tochiozan v Enho, where the small technical man had no chance. "Tackling him head on? Sod that." and the perfect strategy was born.

Also the monoii result announcement should remain "He stepped out first, he wins" forever. All that confusion makes for amusing TV.

Daieisho getting robbed, Abi and Myogiryu thoroughly dispatching the other two yusho contenders... Fun day.

3 minutes ago, Akōgyokuseki said:
52 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

(Pullinghair...) (my new favourite emoji)

Could I borrow that for a second?...

Let's talk royalties first! :-P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

And perhaps the best news of all: Ikioi showed some great fighting spirit and technique in his win against Yutakayama!  The kimarite was kotenage, but there was more throwing (nage) action than one normally sees.  At that drew my attention to the fact that the bandaging on Ikioi's left calf is significantly thinner.  Apparently, the sumo adage of healing an injury in the ring may have some truth to it after all!

When I played* football as a boy, the coaches would forever tell us to “run it off” whenever we got hurt. Obviously it works in sumo, too.

*Defined loosely

Wow, what a day of upsets!

Quite extraordinary how Abi's one trick just keeps on working.

14 hours ago, neonbelly said:

The glutes, parts of the quads, and the deltoids are the go-to places for intramuscular injections. Not many places to hide when you have to wear a mawashi on TV (Dribbling...)

Also, in my worthless opinion based entirely on conjecture, Tochinoshin is 100% on the gas.

WILD SPECULATION INCOMING... Thoughts on steroids in sumo.

1. Japan is an island and has strict drug laws, so maybe the stuff Tochinoshin is able to get obliges him to get butt cheek injections whereas other guys have other stuff. It's not like in USA where everyone can get trenbolone, and clomid, or whatever they want to suit their needs.

They are not illegal in Japan, unlike in the U.S. Those who wish to use may order by mail, or go to certain clinics.

Yesterday and today, Enho looked pretty pissed (pardon my Japanese) after losing his bouts and failing to get his kachikoshi.  But he almost gives me the impression that he believed he was in the yusho championship race, and the loses were spoiling a great chance.  I fear that if he lets those emotions get the best of him, he will struggle in the last four days.