robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

22 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

Oh so you uploaded today as well ? Flying on youtube to watch that right away !

I'll probably upload till the end of the basho.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I'll probably upload till the end of the basho.

amazing news ! :)

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

When I played* football as a boy, the coaches would forever tell us to “run it off” whenever we got hurt. Obviously it works in sumo, too.

*Defined loosely

Brings back memories of track and cross-country in high school (back when I had knees).  Any complaint from shin splints to muscle cramp was answered with "take a salt tablet!"

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I am going on record to say Asanoyama will lose all his remaining bouts.

The most dangerous opponent in sumo is the guy who has a 7 in his record, and Asanoyama, Kakuryu, and Tochinoshin all face such opponents tomorrow.

Of course, for Tochinoshin, 9 is the new 7....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sue said:

The most dangerous opponent in sumo is the guy who has a 7 in his record, and Asanoyama, Kakuryu, and Tochinoshin all face such opponents tomorrow.

One could also argue that the most dangerous opponent in sumo (or any sport) is oneself...  But if you look at wrestlers with 7-7 records on final days, you will find that those that get their kachikochi majority 8 wins and those that don't are actually pretty evenly balanced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not only the shinpan having a bad basho. The Gyoji get in the way quite often. 3rd time in makuuchi today?

Aoiyama really should go forward more often. It's a frightening sight. Even Kasugano-oyakata says he's stronger than stablemate Tochinoshin.

16 minutes ago, Benihana said:

It's not only the shinpan having a bad basho. The Gyoji get in the way quite often. 3rd time in makuuchi today?

Aoiyama really should go forward more often. It's a frightening sight. Even Kasugano-oyakata says he's stronger than stablemate Tochinoshin.

Ref bumps are a way overused spot in pro wrestling, I'd hate to see sumo go the same way.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Brings back memories of track and cross-country in high school (back when I had knees).  Any complaint from shin splints to muscle cramp was answered with "take a salt tablet!"

Sounds like you had a pretty good coach!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ryafuji said:

That may be your opinion, but I don't think that's how it works in practice. If  a match is very close, but none of the ringside judges are of the opinion that the gyoji got it wrong or that they went out simultaneously, there's not going to be a mono-ii. They don't do it just to "have another look."

Yeah, it's a fine line between what I say ("very close," can't tell with naked eye) vs what the ringside shimpans are seeing.    I feel that in this basho, the shimpans were more gun shy than usual.   BTW, how the shimpan on Okinoumi side missed his hand flopping down 1st is beyond me.  He must have  been unfocused.   It was apparent even with naked eye, on normal speed.   If he was paying attention, he should have called monoii.  Perhaps, he was trying to avoid another embarrassing "explaining" episode.   

Edited by robnplunder

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I am going on record to say Asanoyama will lose all his remaining bouts. Steak, limb and arrow. 

Whenever I am so bold enough to make such prediction, the exact opposite happens.  I am going on a record to say that you are absolutely spot on that he will lose the remaining 4 matches, failing to secure even the jun-yusho.  No sansho either.   Worst yet, he gets injured on 15th day and goes kyujo for the next 3 bashos.   Go, Asanoyama!  Show me wrong.

More bold prediction ... Enho gets MK. !;-)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, neonbelly said:

Ref bumps are a way overused spot in pro wrestling, I'd hate to see sumo go the same way.

Well, that horrendous shinpan call was the equivalent of Vince McMahon yelling in Michael Cole's headset because he said hospital instead of local medical facility. Also Trump is coming in a few days so better show him something he might actually understand like ref bumps and ridiculous calls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thelone said:

Well, that horrendous shinpan call was the equivalent of Vince McMahon yelling in Michael Cole's headset because he said hospital instead of local medical facility. Also Trump is coming in a few days so better show him something he might actually understand like ref bumps and ridiculous calls.

Trump worked a hair match-by-proxy program with Vince, maybe he could cut the top-knots of the makekoshi wrestlers.

Posted (edited)

First time since 1949 that all participating Yokozuna, Ozeki and Sekiwake lost.

EDIT- NOT TRUE. Never happened. Apologies.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Do we know which basho and day? I’ve no idea how to narrow down a query like that on the database.

On a side note, what database do the Japanese press and NSK use? They seem to be able to find interesting records fairly quickly.

Someone please slap Aoiyama before the start of every bout, look what he does when fired up!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

Meanwhile Jokoryu (1-4) has fallen to what is very likely to become his worst non-sekitori result of all time. It's sad he'll probably never reach 30 sekitori basho at this rate.

He's still going to be able to claim a Kabu, because he reached sanyaku once in 2014, if that's what you're worried about.
Concerning his current state of form, isn't he dragging an old wound that doesn't heal?

Edited by serge_gva
typo
  • Like 1

Will M8w Asanoyama (10-1) be brought up to face Yw1 Kakuryu (9-2) and S1w Tochinoshin (9-2) on Days 13 and 14? If this is done, then Kakuryu could face Tochinoshin on Day 15. We shall see.

7 hours ago, Sue said:

Unless, like Enho right now, they are going for their first-ever kachi-koshi at a new division, in which case they tend to start choking away wins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, serge_gva said:

He's still going to be able to claim a Kabu, because he reached sanyaku once in 2014, if that's what you're worried about.
Concerning his current state of form, isn't he dragging an old wound that doesn't heal?

Yep, in his case a bad injury ruined what could have been a promising career. 

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Which of the 3 basho that year do you believe this to be true?

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Unless, like Enho right now, they are going for their first-ever kachi-koshi at a new division, in which case they tend to start choking away wins.

Nah.  Enho just ran into a couple of rikishi which his submarine technique wouldn't work.  Today, he goes against Onosho whom I think would take care of Enho.   I still think Enho will KK, may even surprise me to beat Onosho who has consistency issue of his own.

17 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Nah.  Enho just ran into a couple of rikishi which his submarine technique wouldn't work.  Today, he goes against Onosho whom I think would take care of Enho.   I still think Enho will KK, may even surprise me to beat Onosho who has consistency issue of his own.

Onosho should win easily but his style leaves him wide open to a henka. if he's dumb enough to just charge at Enho he deserves to lose. 

Posted (edited)

There has been exactly one previous time that no Y, O, or S has gained a shiroboshi though, so the fact just seems wrong unless somehow the qualifier "participating" for some reason excludes days one of them lost by fusen.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=201811&d=5

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=basho&group_by2=day&g_op==&having=0&day=1-15&rank1=Y,O,S&onlyw1=on

That doesn't even consider days that the only such wins are by fusen.  Those are harder to find and I'm not looking.

Unfortunately, the search is only as good as the bout database, which one can't really regard as necessarily complete.  It might be complete for all sanyaku past some date, but I don't know what that date is.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Day 13 torikumi is up and it looks like they're skipping Tochinoshin-Goeido for the former vs. Asanoyama. (And latter vs. Shodai)

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

There has been exactly one previous time that no Y, O, or S has gained a shiroboshi though, so the fact just seems wrong unless somehow the qualifier "participating" for some reason excludes days one of them lost by fusen.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=201811&d=5

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=basho&group_by2=day&g_op==&having=0&day=1-15&rank1=Y,O,S&onlyw1=on

That doesn't even consider days that the only such wins are by fusen.  Those are harder to find and I'm not looking.

Unfortunately, the search is only as good as the bout database, which one can't really regard as necessarily complete.  It might be complete for all sanyaku past some date, but I don't know what that date is.

Excellent work. So it should have been that it has never happened until day 11 this basho under the 15 day system introduced in May 1949. This is with the rikishi actually fighting not as in Kyushu 2018 when Kisenosato gave up a fusensho to Tamawashi.