robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

36 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:
16 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Of course, I dislike the fact that Endo spoiled Tochi's winning streak.  But in a way he was keeping Tochi (and sumo) honest, and now the Georgian will have to fight a little harder tomorrow.

Well, then... :-D

Yeah, Tochinoshin definitely didn't have to "fight a little harder" when he was handed the fusen win against an in-again-out-again Takakeisho...  

On the other hand, he will have to fight with all he's got tomorrow against Mitakeumi.  That will be one of the day's more interesting bouts.  At issue is whether fusen wins affect performance.  While it is far from being an exhaustive survey, day 8's two fusen winners (Kotoshogiku and Myogiryu) both lost their bouts on day 9.  So will Tochinoshin do what they could not: i.e., win after a fusen win.  Despite a record that favours the Georgian, the pairing of Tochinoshin and Mitakeumi defies prediction, in my mind anyway.  The two men have often trained together, and could be said to be on friendly terms despite being from different stables (in the same ichimon).  Both wrestlers are two wins away from crucial tournament records.  May the better rikishi win!

43 minutes ago, Morty said:

...and the look on Toyonoshima's face after he lost to Enho was priceless. He looked across at Enho and was like "damn, he got me!" 

Not an easy feat to dive under Enho. B-)

34 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Thanks, that’s interesting, but I meant on a single day by all rikishi. On day three there were eight bouts before we saw a repeat kimarite. The first seven bouts were all decided by different techniques. Today it was five. It got me thinking what’s the most number of bouts gone by before a kimarite was used again.

Posted (edited)

Good stuff from the little guys today, and Ishiura's coolest win of the basho. Terutsuyoshi and Enho both had awesome wins, too. 

Kakuryu still looking strong, good on him. Tochinoshin blew through Takakeisho like he wasn't even there! I suspect Takayasu is nursing an injury- something about the way he squatted before the tachi-ai looked off. I don't know, could be my imagination. Glad he managed a win, anyway.

There has been a strange vibe to this basho, and something tells me the strangeness isn't over yet. 

Edited by Dwale
Grammar
  • Like 2

So much fun today watching the small guys effing around with the bis guys. Ura already was like an eel, but Enho tops it again and again.

The Kakster came on straight and hard today. Good to see.

He and Tochinoshin seem to be in synch in terms of when they have good bashos, so they've had many high-stakes showdowns lately and I think that's a cool rivalry.

I'm no expert but it seems that he's focusing on planting the crown of his head in his opponents chest such that he has an immediate advantage in terms of posture and belt access.

• Like 1

do you think they'll organize a bout between Asonoyama and the top guys ?

Or will they create a potential parallel winner to add pression on the top guys ?

30 minutes ago, Umizoi said:

do you think they'll organize a bout between Asonoyama and the top guys ?

Or will they create a potential parallel winner to add pression on the top guys ?

They'll probably stick with the recent precedents of Ichinojo and Aoiyama being kept away from Hakuho.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dwale said:

I suspect Takayasu is nursing an injury- something about the way he squatted before the tachi-ai looked off. I don't know, could be my imagination.

Takayasu has been suffering from back injuries pre basho and he took time out of the first half of the haru jungyo to try to rehabilitate it. So it's definitely not unreasonable to suggest he's perhaps still dealing with some residual pain.

Edited by Akōgyokuseki
  • Like 2

Everyone in here is talking about weird kimarite, but no one has mentioned yet that Terutsuyoshi won by okurigake! If SumoDB is correct, this is the first ever okurigake in Makuuchi!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

Takayasu has been suffering from back injuries pre basho and he took time out of the first half of the haru jungyo to try to rehabilitate it. So it's definitely not unreasonable to suggest he's perhaps still dealing with some residual pain.

Ah, I'd managed to miss that bit of news.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mt fuji said:

Everyone in here is talking about weird kimarite, but no one has mentioned yet that Terutsuyoshi won by okurigake! If SumoDB is correct, this is the first ever okurigake in Makuuchi!

Good spot! Though with the caveat that okurigake was an expansion kimarite added in 2001, so it’s not been around forever. Still, in 18 years there have been plenty of basho and bouts in which it could have been used but wasn’t, so ... awesome!

Edited by Eikokurai
spelling error
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Cue a group of women in leotards sitting in the box in front of you.

And then forming a human pyramid.

Someone did fall down the stairs from the entrance into our masu, the recycling people made faces at me when I handed over our crushed beer cans (thankfully empty at the time of the fall) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mt fuji said:

Having had a few opportunities to watch Terutsuyoshi train close up dating back from when he was still in Makushita, I can confirm that he has a bottomless arsenal of techniques. Definitely one of my favorites.

• Like 1

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Having had a few opportunities to watch Terutsuyoshi train close up dating back from when he was still in Makushita, I can confirm that he has a bottomless arsenal of techniques. Definitely one of my favorites.

I like that turn of phrase.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

It explains how he is barely getting by despite having a winning record so far.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mt fuji said:

19 hours ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

Should Enho ever use mitokorozeme (三所攻め) it's safe to say my heart would probably stop. I hope he gets that Gino-sho and many more in the years to come, we need a new waza no depaato!. Saying that Terutsuyoshi's awesome okurigake today would have shown Mainoumi up (glad they rechanged the kimarite on that one)

:-D

Edited by Akōgyokuseki

Posted (edited)

Takagenji stays perfect and moves to 10-0. He has a three-bout lead in the yusho race with only five days to go, so could wrap it up quite early. Looking like a dead cert for the promotion.

Edited by Eikokurai

9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Takagenji stays perfect and moves to 10-0. He has a three-bout lead in the yusho race with only five days to go, so could wrap it up quite early. Looking like a dead cert for the promotion.

Soooooo, he should be quite glad he didn't get promoted last time, ne?

Just now, Jakusotsu said:

Soooooo, he should be quite glad he didn't get promoted last time, ne?

You'd have to ask him. :)

I suppose I'd rather go up with a yusho to my name though. 

Wow, what a match between Meisei and Shohozan!   

Can this be the Asanoyama's basho?  

Good monoii call on Takarafuji vs Tomokaze.   This just may have ended Tomokaze's KK streak.

Posted (edited)

Whoever does the QQ stream turned it on today, only for it not to work and for them to turn it off after an hour without having shown a single bout. Annoying. Reduced yet again to an afternoon of refreshing the results page ... sigh. Still, at least the guy who uploads highlights videos is fairly dependable. 

Glad to see Tochinoshin move within one of his return to Ozeki. I'd say it's as near to a certainty as can be that we'll have four Ozeki in July, barring an almighty collapse or injury.

Takayasu and Goeido are quietly encroaching upon the yusho race, despite neither looking particularly in form. I think the deficit of two will be too great to overcome, but they do still have to face Tochinoshin and Kakuryu, so anything is possible. They can certainly still influence things and keep up the pressure.

Edited by Eikokurai

12 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Whoever does the QQ stream turned it on today, only for it not to work and for them to turn it off after an hour without having shown a single bout. Annoying. Reduced yet again to an afternoon of refreshing the results page ... sigh. Still, at least the guy who uploads highlights videos is fairly dependable. 

Log into facebook and search for live stream of  adjarasport_dot_com and its  live stream. Every day they have a sumo live. It is in Georgian, but video is there.