robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

Posted (edited)

Sashichigae. Kyokoshuho's right foot clearly went out first. The gyoji was looking back over his shoulder so not well positioned to see it.

Ikioi continues to waste everyone's time by appearing on the dohyo for no reason. I love the guy, but he really shouldn't be there. I've said it before, but when a rikishi is physically unable to compete, they should sit out for the integrity of the competition. He's basically giving a fusensho to his opponent every day. There's no honour in that.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

The gyoji was looking back over his shoulder so not well positioned to see it.

... unless he had eyes on back of his head.

Takagenji in this basho is the best I've seen him and by far.   His twin brother should take note.

Ichinojo–Tochinoshin today. They usually serve up an epic leaning contest, though I hope lazy Ichinojo turns up for this one.

17 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Ichinojo–Tochinoshin today. They usually serve up an epic leaning contest, though I hope lazy Ichinojo turns up for this one.

No problem which Ichinojo shows up.  Tochi by Yorikiri :-).

Enho! Yago bites the dust.  

Wow. How about that? Yago (arguably) was in control but caught napping. That was a beautifully executed move.

Enho to meet Tochinoshin in a playoff for the yusho.

Posted (edited)

Takadagawa does not betray the spectator hopes: the first makuuchi torinaoshi in in Reiwa

Edited by Akinomaki

Posted (edited)

Nishikigi-Shohozan was fun and now we have a torinaoshi in Makuuchi for the first time this basho. 

The rematch was fun too. Nice win for Nishikigi. He needed that.

Edited by Eikokurai

Posted (edited)

Even Furiwake had a more or less proper monoii conference explanation this basho (day 4) - the shimpan are all fit to do their duties this time - or kyujo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Nishikigi-Shohozan was fun and now we have a torinaoshi in Makuuchi for the first time this basho. 

The rematch was fun too. Nice win for Nishikigi. He needed that.

That was very satisfying monoii, torinaoshi, and outcome.  The good guy won.

Posted (edited)

Ichinojo is the worst opponent for Tochinoshin this basho. I don't even mean it on a purely shiroboshi/kuroboshi perspective, it's just worrying if he overdoes his knees while forcing all that human mass out.

EDIT:

On another note, poor Fujiazuma is already on the verge of a MK on his privileged spot to retake his salary after more than 2 years. At least he already qualifies for kabu either way so he has a cushion should he decide to call it a day. 17 M + 18 J bashos.

To be fair, Fujiazuma was very incognito on his makuuchi days. He was always that guy that never stood out to me, no matter what. I'd find myself picturing him as the underdog for almost all, if not all, his matches during the basho and I'd find it "an upset" if he took a win. Which he did all too often or else he wouldn't have lasted that long.

Edited by Koorifuu

2 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

Ichinojo is the worst opponent for Tochinoshin this basho. I don't even mean it on a purely shiroboshi/kuroboshi perspective, it's just worrying if he overdoes his knees while forcing all that human mass out.

That‘s why I want the 'I can't be bothered' Ichinojo to turn up. That Ichinojo helpfully walks himself out of the ring. Tochinoshin has worked hard for every win so far. If he has to do the same against The Castle, it won't do his legs much good at all.

57 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Wow. How about that? Yago (arguably) was in control but caught napping. That was a beautifully executed move.

Yago in control? He was absolutely clueless how to get rid of that leech.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Let's just say Yago was in control of Enho's neck and above but nothing below Enho's neck.  ;-)

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Perhaps, but Enho wasn’t in control either I’d say, so maybe we should say there was a momentary impasse where neither was sure of the next move. Then Enho came up with something from nothing and took Yago by surprise.

Posted (edited)

Yes! Well, that went true to form. Why is it that Ichinojo is always up for it against Tochinoshin? I don’t think they’ve ever finished in less than a minute. Still, I got the result I wanted.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Yes! Well, that went true to form. Why is that Ichinojo is always up for it against Tochinoshin? I don’t think they’ve ever finished in less than a minute. Still, I got the result I wanted.

... and Tochi looks unscathed, knock on wood.

Can't figure Mitakeumi.  He looked good today but on other days ....

I was going to say that Takayasu is starting to turn into Goeido, but it seems Goeido is still Goeido.

• Haha 1

Toshi is a man on a mission. Go for it, brother! (Showingrespect...)

Hakuho's Mini-Me is certainly exceeding my expectations. That uwatehineri out of nowhere was awesome! Enho said he'd like the gino-sho and he's certainly going the right way to get it. BTW, what happened to that shoulder injury he was supposed to be carrying?

I, too, was worried about Tochinoshin's knee going up against Ichinojo, especially when it became apparent that the Mongolian Mountain had actually turned up. Epic yotsuzumo. The Georgian is showing the same almost unbeatable form that got him the yusho last year. Can he do it again?

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

That's a bit harsh!  ... Not an Enho fan, I presume?

Daieisho is not to be underestimated.  Kakuryu definitely had his hands full, but when the intensity of Daieisho's thrusts did not subside, Kakuryu switched to a pull, getting his right hand up behind Daiesho's neck for the hatakikomi pull down.  Perhaps Daieisho's hunger for his first gold star left him vulnerable, and Kakuryu took advantage of that.  The sole Yokozuna remains undefeated (along with Tochinoshin).  

I know someone who is happy! (Birthday!)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

You don't need a clue when you have no intention of winning. Nice win for Enho. He'll need it considering he owes one to Terutsuyoshi and he's facing him on Day 7. At 2-4 Terut won't be conveniently falling for a henka to a 5-1 Enho. 

@Amamaniac (Bow...) thank you! May I humbly congratulate you also? ;-)

Enho...the cutest leech ever;-)

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Enho to meet Tochinoshin in a playoff for the yusho.

That's one of those predictions that I, for one, can't tell if you are being facetious or not.  Makes me want to check if there ever was a shinnyumaku wrestler who won a championship in his debut tournament.  Somehow, I doubt it – although Ichinojo did come close.  An Enho yusho would blow the sumo world up!  So let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

In Juyro. Aminishiki and Gagamaru at 4-2, Toyonoshima 5-1. Ikio at 0-6. I miss the Juryo digest our friend japan sumo channel (formally one and only) is now doing top division. Leave him a comment how we loved the juryo digest, i did.

Tochinoshin is back, hope he stays healthy. The ozeki squad is disappointing. Loving Hotokofuji,  he'll be back in the joi soon.