robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

1 hour ago, Benevolance said:

This is probably one of the weakest sanyaku in a long time, and Tochinoshin really looks like he intends to take full advantage of it. 

He also doesn't look like he's hurting quite as much this time. More drama than he should have needed today, though.

15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Kotokamitani for juryo visit with oichomage. Usual. But with sekitori shimekomi? Very unusual I think. His father had grey? For pushing out Akiseyama I think I will vote for him for the spirited poll today.

I think it's just a faded low-ranker mawashi. He wore it in his first bout vs Wakamotoharu too.

Posted (edited)

Ichinojo seems to have lost his Haru mojo (is there a story behind the new taping on his right knee?).  His hataki-komi attempt on Tamawashi was completely misjudged or, rather, flubbed.  Mitakeumi, on the other hand, executed the technique perfectly on Takayasu.  Despite a dismal 7-8 in Osaka, Mitakeumi has more sumo potential than Ichinojo IMHO.

Edited by Amamaniac

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Ichinojo seems to have lost his Haru mojo (is there a story behind the new taping on his right knee?).  His hataki-komi attempt on Tamawashi was completely misjudged or, rather, flubbed.  Mitakeumi, on the other hand, executed the technique perfectly on Takayasu.  Despite a dismal 7-8 in Osaka, Mitakeumi has more sumo potential than Ichinojo IMHO.

Last basho Ichinojo seemed to have learned One New Trick: get your opponent close enough and then do a "push-down" hatakikomi.  Not surprisingly, the other sekitori have watched film during the long jungyo and devised countermeasures.

Wow Ichinojo is doing REALLY WELL (not). At least Tamawashi got a win. Tochinoshin again used his arms to his advantage. Kakuryu and Kotoshogiku, that was close. But you have to give credit to the gyoji on that one. Takakeisho’s loss must have hurt. I’m sure that he didn’t need to get pushed THAT HARD. Enho is incredibly smart. He knows how to use his body to his advantage really well. He is simply purely fun to watch. 

Ichinojo today reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG2dC-UEt8Y

12 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I just watched the replays again, and oh boy, what an awful day of bad bouts! If it wasn't for Kakuryu's nice throw at the end, I would feel totally robbed if I had bought a ticket.

I concur it was a mostly lackluster day of bouts (although I only watched  Makuuchi so can’t speak to lower divisions). A day at the Kokugikan, however, is about much more than the fights, which make up only a tiny fraction of the whole experience, at least time-wise. Watching rikishi come and go. Smelling the Bintsuke-abura. Getting autographs and photos. Shopping for souvenirs. Drinking beer. Eating delicious food. Reveling in the vibe knowing you’re at the heart of the sumo universe. It would be very hard to take in a day of live sumo action and come away feeling “totally robbed”  IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, since_94 said:

I concur it was a mostly lackluster day of bouts (although I only watched  Makuuchi so can’t speak to lower divisions). A day at the Kokugikan, however, is about much more than the fights, which make up only a tiny fraction of the whole experience, at least time-wise. Watching rikishi come and go. Smelling the Bintsuke-abura. Getting autographs and photos. Shopping for souvenirs. Drinking beer. Eating delicious food. Reveling in the vibe knowing you’re at the heart of the sumo universe. It would be very hard to take in a day of live sumo action and come away feeling “totally robbed”  IMO.

Indeed! Anyone who goes to see live sumo just for the action will always be disappointed. It’s not as if there’s a whole lot of it! 15 mins in makuuchi. It’s all about the atmosphere. That’s how I got hooked. I’d seen sumo on TV but it was a day at a honbasho that really got me into it. 

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Indeed! Anyone who goes to see live sumo just for the action will always be disappointed. It’s not as if there’s a whole lot of it! 15 mins in makuuchi. It’s all about the atmosphere. That’s how I got hooked. I’d seen sumo on TV but it was a day at a honbasho that really got me into it. 

15 minutes? 5 minutes of actual fighting in makuuchi, more like it. If that, barring any marathon battles on the belt.

6 minutes ago, since_94 said:

15 minutes? 5 minutes of actual fighting in makuuchi, more like it. If that, barring any marathon battles on the belt.

I was being generous, using the Kintamayama digest videos as the benchmark for ‘action’ (including the moments before the tachiai and getting the kensho. :)

21 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Chiyoshoma looked a little slow to leave the dohyo. Did he think he'd won? That would be totally out of character for him.

He does that often, whenever he doubts the outcome. 

4 hours ago, since_94 said:

Well, obviously I've been there too often. B-)

38 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

He does that often, whenever he doubts the outcome. 

Quite so! I was being sarcastic. He thinks he’s won every bout he’s ever lost. A very surly rikishi. 

12 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Quite so! I was being sarcastic. He thinks he’s won every bout he’s ever lost. A very surly rikishi. 

It earned him a monoii one time.   He also looks pissed whenever he loses by henka.  It is not like he never henkas. 

Hokutofusi pulled a Takakeisho on Takakeisho yesterday.  

Which Mita is going to show up today? 

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Well, obviously I've been there too often. B-)

and so you have arrived at the perspective level of a YDC member

• Haha 3

Enho continues to make his mentor proud, though how his aite don’t expect the submarine and leg pick is beyond me. Daishoho should know better having faced him recently enough in Juryo.

Sadanoumi wins the battle of the Sxxxnoumi’s. Shimanoumi is struggling in his debut, though to be fair he’s come in at a relatively high debut rank on the back of his two Juryo yusho.

This guy took my ticket 

20190515_154313_7236.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Enho continues to make his mentor proud, though how his aite don’t expect the submarine and leg pick is beyond me. Daishoho should know better having faced him recently enough in Juryo.

That head fake by Enho must be more effective than memory.

Did Tomokaze really lose?  It seems a monoii call was warranted.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

That head fake by Enho must be more effective than memory.

Did Tomokaze really lose?  It seems a monoii call was warranted.

First thoughts were that Kaisei got a lucky win as Tomokaze ran out of room executing his winning move, but maybe his heel touched out the same time Kaisei’s forearm went down. A mono-ii wouldn’t have been unreasonable.

Asanoyama yusho? ;)

Get. The. F***. In. (Well, out).

Forgive me for acting like I’m on the terraces at a football match, but I bloody loved that Tochinoshin win. The man is back. If he’d been pushed to the bales like that in the last two basho, he’d have given in and accepted the loss, but that was proper grit. He wants his rank back bad. 

Takakeisho finally got the better of Mitakeumi and at the latter’s own game no less. Morozashi win? Hard to believe but it happened. Though it seems to have come at a price as he was hobbling afterwards. It’s not often he has to drive with the legs like that, so maybe he strained something.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

Winning by yorikiri is not healthy for Takakeisho

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Akinomaki said:

Winning by yorikiri is not healthy for Takakeisho

It looks like a kyujo for Takakeisho .... maybe.

Edited by robnplunder

On the NHK broadcast the announcers were unsure exactly what Takekeisho injured, but it looked to me like he rolled his right ankle just as he was forcing out his opponent. Hope it's not too serious, but it didn't look good at all. 

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

This guy took my ticket 

20190515_154313_7236.jpg

That was mean. You’d think a former Sekiwake could pull a few strings and get his own. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4