robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

11 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Takakeisho's what-to-do-when-somebody-gets-my-belt practice seems to have paid off, but at what price? Unfortunate if it screws up his ozeki debut.

Hmm, I think the jury is still out as he got Mita on morozashi.  Even then, he had hard time beating Mita.   If it was not for morozashi, I am sure Mita would have dispatched Takakeisho handily.   Mita normally is the one doing well putting his arms inside of his opponents.  I am surprised Mita got morozashi'd.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

He is definitely looking good enough to restore his Ozeki status (btw, does this tournament qualify as an "Ozeki run" for him given the fact that he is officially a Sekiwake?).  But by taking "full advantage" of the weak sanyaku, is a second yusho in the cards?

It’s a bit premature, but I looked up the best ever record by a Sekiwake seeking his Ozeki-fukki and it’s 11 wins. That was Tochiazuma in January 2005. Not many have actually even managed to return at the first attempt at all (Tochiazuma was the last), so getting a yusho would be quite exceptional. Tochinoshin is certainly looking good so far though. He’s getting the wins he needs against the hiramaku before he has to face the sanyaku guys.

Edited by Eikokurai
Corrected the year: 2005, not 2004
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

It’s a bit premature, but I looked up the best ever record by a Sekiwake seeking his Ozeki-fukki and it’s 11 wins. That was Tochiazuma in January 2004. Not many have actually even managed to return at the first attempt at all (Tochiazuma was the last), so getting a yusho would be quite exceptional. Tochinoshin is certainly looking good so far though. He’s getting the wins he needs against the hiramaku before he has to face the sanyaku guys.

He's certainly gotten a bit of good luck with Takakeisho going kyujo. That was going to be a difficult bout for him given his 1-6 matchup record.

53 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

It’s a bit premature, but I looked up the best ever record by a Sekiwake seeking his Ozeki-fukki and it’s 11 wins. That was Tochiazuma in January 2004. Not many have actually even managed to return at the first attempt at all (Tochiazuma was the last), so getting a yusho would be quite exceptional. Tochinoshin is certainly looking good so far though. He’s getting the wins he needs against the hiramaku before he has to face the sanyaku guys.

And now with Takakeisho out he can lose all his sanyaku matches and still get 10 if he can beat all the maegashira.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

This guy took my ticket 

20190515_154313_7236.jpg

And probably 90% of the incoming ticket holders. 

20 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Winning by yorikiri is not healthy for Takakeisho

And he goes kyujo

Nice win for Takagenji today 5-0 start, looks like he's made that next step this basho.

I didn’t recognize any of my ticket takers, but I did briefly get to speak bad Japanese at Sanoyama oyakata. I admit I was a little star struck and couldn’t think of his shikona or kabu, but was saved by a junior rikishi needing his attention.

There are always one or two random days when the QQ channel decides not to stream the sumo without warning or explanation. It looks as if today is one of those days. This is why I'd happily pay the NHK for an official stream. 

Oh well. What am I going to do with my afternoon now?

Enho just keeps on going.  Chiyoshoma did well keeping Enho off at Tachi-hai but didn't know what to do next.   I think he may beat Yago tomorrow and go 5-1.

Just now, Eikokurai said:

There are always one or two random days when the QQ channel decides not to stream the sumo without warning or explanation. It looks as if today is one of those days. This is why I'd happily pay the NHK for an official stream. 

Oh well. What am I going to do with my afternoon now?

Youtube doesn't work where you are at?   I am watching live stream via Youtube (AbemaTV).

Nice, another one for the Atom Ant. The little bugger is so fun to watch.

Omg...Im so sad for Takakeisho. Bummer, man. What a bummer.

Just now, robnplunder said:

Youtube doesn't work where you are at?   I am watching live stream via Youtube (AbemaTV).

Nope. I'm in China and I don't have a VPN at home. And to get a VPN you pretty much need a VPN already to access the websites.

• Sad 1

Yago looked decent in winning today.  It won't be easy for Enho tomorrow.   And Shohosan morozashi his way to beat Chiyomaru.   Even in winning, he did  not look sharp.

So Kotokamatani wins the battle of the young princes against Hoshoryu, improving to 3-0 and inching ever closer to coming out from behind the curtain at Ms2.

Wow, they are not calling monoiis on close bouts in this basho.   Shimanoumi vs Onosho was another close one without the  monoii call.   I don't disagree with the final outcome but it was close enough to warrant another look.

• Like 1

Well done, Okinoumi for shoichi.  He gets my fighting spirit of day vote. 

Yes! Come on Tochinoshin. 

I'm sitting here refreshing the JSA website instead of doing something worthwhile.

It looks like Kak vs Tochinoshin for the yusho.    Can Tochinoshin get his 2nd yusho?  I hope so.

22 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

It looks like Kak vs Tochinoshin for the yusho.    Can Tochinoshin get his 2nd yusho?  I hope so.

Ahem ... Asanoyama has his name written all over this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Yes! Come on Tochinoshin. 

I'm sitting here refreshing the JSA website instead of doing something worthwhile.

You mean like watching the live stream... ;-)

35 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

You mean like watching the live stream... ;-)

That’s an excellent use of one’s time if it’s an option for you.

Edited by Eikokurai

Murray Johnson mentioned in his commentary that the NSK met yesterday, and upheld the policy of not allowing women on the dohyo.  I seriously doubt there were any representatives of the opposing faction (i.e., female mayors and female doctors) at the meeting; just a bunch of crusty hardliners upholding tradition.  The only solution seems to be for women to establish their own sumo league, and not allow men on the dohyo!(Singingdrunk...)

• Confused 1

Just now, Amamaniac said:

Murray Johnson mentioned in his commentary that the NSK met yesterday, and upheld the policy of not allowing women on the dohyo.  I seriously doubt there were any representatives of the opposing faction (i.e., female mayors and female doctors) at the meeting; just a bunch of crusty hardliners upholding tradition.  The only solution seems to be for women to establish their own sumo league, and not allow men on the dohyo!(Singingdrunk...)

I've always gotten the feeling that the people in sumo consider themselves as 'custodians' of what is both a sport and an important piece of national cultural heritage. They administer it, but it's not theirs to change, unlike they could if it was a private sports league (e.g. NFL, Premier League). Thus I can understand, if not condone, their reluctance to be the ones that reform.

Edited by Eikokurai

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Enho just keeps on going.  Chiyoshoma did well keeping Enho off at Tachi-hai but didn't know what to do next.   I think he may beat Yago tomorrow and go 5-1.

Chiyoshoma had a reasonable Plan A (keep Enho away from his legs) but no effective Plan B (beat Enho). Eventually Plan A failed and then the lack of a Plan B, or even Plan C (what do I do now?) left him looking relatively foolish. Ho hum.

• Haha 1