robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

4 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Wow, they are not calling monoiis on close bouts in this basho.   Shimanoumi vs Onosho was another close one without the  monoii call.   I don't disagree with the final outcome but it was close enough to warrant another look.

And the head shimpan leaving Onosho with his loss was shisho chief shimpan Onomatsu - so far this basho he is exceeding expectations. But it was clear in the repeat that Onosho touched down first.

1 hour ago, Morty said:
5 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Enho just keeps on going.  Chiyoshoma did well keeping Enho off at Tachi-hai but didn't know what to do next.   I think he may beat Yago tomorrow and go 5-1.

Chiyoshoma had a reasonable Plan A (keep Enho away from his legs) but no effective Plan B (beat Enho). Eventually Plan A failed and then the lack of a Plan B, or even Plan C (what do I do now?) left him looking relatively foolish. Ho hum.

This also goes to show how relentless Enho's attack is!  The continuous motion strategy works for both offence and defence.

12 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

It’s a bit premature, but I looked up the best ever record by a Sekiwake seeking his Ozeki-fukki and it’s 11 wins. That was Tochiazuma in January 2005.

I'm willing to bet that Tochinoshin will surpass Tochiazuma's record.  Barring any unforeseen injury, he looks good enough to get 13 or more wins!

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Murray Johnson mentioned in his commentary that the NSK met yesterday, and upheld the policy of not allowing women on the dohyo.  I seriously doubt there were any representatives of the opposing faction (i.e., female mayors and female doctors) at the meeting; just a bunch of crusty hardliners upholding tradition.  The only solution seems to be for women to establish their own sumo league, and not allow men on the dohyo!(Singingdrunk...)

What will happen if one day in future a sumo wrestler declares he is a LGTB? I believe he will be kicked out immediately without argument.  

• Confused 1

Enho, man! I really hope this guy can hang around in makuuchi, he's a lot of fun to watch. And such an underdog, too.

Abi looked quite fierce today. I must admit, I am starting to take a liking to him. Same with Asanoyama.

Did Chiyomaru just henka? *rewatches* Wow...I don't...

Highlight of the day for me would have to be Okinoumi v. Ryuden, just for being so lively. Honorable mention to Hokutofuji's calves, which must be rather strong to hold out against that kaiju Tochinoshin for so long.

3 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

What will happen if one day in future a sumo wrestler declares he is a LGTB?

I wonder if any ozumo wrestler has the gonads to do that...  (pardon my French).  But there is that possibility nonetheless.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I'm willing to bet that Tochinoshin will surpass Tochiazuma's record.  Barring any unforeseen injury, he looks good enough to get 13 or more wins!

I’ve just caught up with today’s bouts. Another good win for him. My one concern is that he’s not yet had a quick and easy victory. Every one has required him to dig deep. Even today when he was in control he had to work seriously hard to break Hokutofuji’s resistance. That sort of effort could take its toll towards the tail end of the basho, but hopefully he’ll have secured his ten wins before his body quits. Speaking of which, I do wonder if a Sekiwake in these circumstances is more likely to dial it down once the ten wins are in the bank. It must be quite exhausting, mentally more than physically, to have the Ozeki return on your mind, so I wouldn’t blame anyone slacking off. Tochinoshin could be in the yusho race though, which is another sort of incentive to keep at it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

What will happen if one day in future a sumo wrestler declares he is a LGTB? I believe he will be kicked out immediately without argument.  

I don’t think it’s likely that a rikishi will come out as an ‘L’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nikkan with an interesting article on Asanoyama the only unbeatten hiramaku after day 5. Asanoyama has been impressive so far, the most solid he's been since his 11-4 tournament in july last year. He beat his nemesis Kagayaki today (1-5 in favour of Kagayaki before today) via sukuinage, making it look easy like every win he had since day 1.

After he miserably failed to get KK last basho (5 straight losses to end the tournament) he decided to managed his health better and decided to stop drinking. It seems to work so far as he is back with a bang to silence the haters who kept him out of their list of young talents.

Even Chairman Hakkaku praised him for his efforts. "His tachi ai has becomed heavier and he is going forward well" commented the rijicho. Asanoyama is one of the few young guys who trained seriously every day during the spring tour, and fought with Tochinoshin a lot. On if that experience helped him this basho "I want to wait until the basho is over to decide" he said prudently, probably with last basho desastrous finish still in mind.

Asanoyama revealed he was weakened by food poisoning from eating oisters during the basho, after being scolded by his oyakata, he decided to improve his health management. One of the changes he made was, like I wrote earlier, to stop drinking. "There's a bout every day for 15 days. It may be ok to drink for people who can drink but I'm not a good drinker so I stopped. I won five in a row but there are still many days to go. I want to attack my opponents with confidence" he said.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201905160000964.html

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Someday some may admit they are like me, taking "L"s playing GTB (guess the banzuke). Ok I'm out (Laughing...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Enho climbing the ranks reminds me of Frodo Baggins ascending Mount Doom.

Which makes Hakuho Gandalf.

• Haha 3

Aoiyama crashing and burning out a bit after that great opening day bout. :(

Kakuryu and Tochinoshin the clear favorites even at this point now that Takakeisho is out. My money is on Tochi, when he is healthy he looks absolutely unstoppable.

I was a fan of Terunofuji, and it was difficult for me to follow his physical decay. But in these three matches, he seems to me in better physical health.
Always weak, but less puffy, blemish, and without strength. With a new pride, too.

For the first time since 2017, it's not paintful to see him fight. Perhaps, for Nagoya, it will be nice to see him fight again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCPvTeNMzLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZmK9co62Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnzSuW9vXYo

Courage Terunofuji !

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Pair it with 'T', and maybe.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Umizoi said:

I was a fan of Terunofuji, and it was difficult for me to follow his physical decay. But in these three matches, he seems to me in better physical health.
Always weak, but less puffy, blemish, and without strength. With a new pride, too.

Thanks for the links to the videos.   I wasn't fan of Teruno but am interested in how he is making a comeback.   He looks a little better than the last basho but I don't see any sign of former Teruno.   He has gained too much weight and beat the 3 smaller opponents merely by pushing them out.   That won't go too far even in juryo.   Can he make a steady progress and regain his former form?   I don't see it.  It is sad given his age.  At age 27, he should have been in his sumo career prime.   Sad, indeed.

What would have happened if Hokutofuji and Tochinoshin knocked themselves out with their brutal face and chest claps before the match has a chance to begin. Double fusensho??

13 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

One of the changes he made was, like I wrote earlier, to stop drinking.

If I remember correctly, Kaio also credited his improvement in rank to stop drinking alcohol during bashos.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

What would have happened if Hokutofuji and Tochinoshin knocked themselves out with their brutal face and chest claps before the match has a chance to begin. Double fusensho??

I know that’s a joke, but that’s actually an interesting question. Last year (or maybe the year before) Hokutofuji got knocked out during a matta and should have withdrawn before the bout, but didn’t. There was a lot of discussion about what would have happened if he had, for example hikiwake. I suppose if both rikishi had to withdraw on the dohyo that is when a hikiwake would be declared. Though a smart rikishi would probably let the other guy pull out first and then take the fusensho if that’s what happens instead.

Correction: The talk was of whether that’s when an itamiwake would be called, not a hikiwake, which is a standard draw, not a draw declared because of injury.

Edited by Eikokurai
Added correction
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I know that’s a joke, but that’s actually an interesting question. Last year (or maybe the year before) Hokutofuji got knocked out during a matta and should have withdrawn before the bout, but didn’t. There was a lot of discussion about what would have happened if he had, for example hikiwake. I suppose if both rikishi had to withdraw on the dohyo that is when a hikiwake would be declared. Though a smart rikishi would probably let the other guy pull out first and then take the fusensho if that’s what happens instead.

Yeah, I remember that.   Sometimes, it happens in boxing where the two fighters manage to knock each other out.   For those bouts I am aware of, one boxer always managed to get up  before the other guy is counted out.  I've never seen both guys get counted out but I am sure such bout happened before.    

No matter how good a rikishi's future may seem to be, there are two words that can change everything--"-barring injury". People were talking about the possibility of Takakeisho eventually becoming a yokozuna. But as of now, he will be a kadoban ozeki. Sumo is a very difficult activity and unfortunately, injuries will happen, no matter how talented a rikishi may be. There is a saying that nothing is certain in life except death and taxes. I would add one more certainty--sumo injuries.

Posted (edited)

QQ is making amends for yesterday's unexplained absence by starting today as early as Makushita. Nice. Afternoon = sorted.

Arawashi is really struggling near the bottom of Juryo. 1-5. He could be heading south.

Edited by Eikokurai

A very nice win by Tobizaru.   Not so pretty win by Aminishiski but at age 40, any win is a "nice" win.

24 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

A very nice win by Tobizaru.   Not so pretty win by Aminishiski but at age 40, any win is a "nice" win.

A nice little scrap between Hidenoumi and Azumaryu too.

A good monoii call saves the win for Toyonoshima.   Nice call (but rather an easy one).