robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

11 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

That was mean. You’d think a former Sekiwake could pull a few strings and get his own. 

Exactly. 

Other than Hattorizakura the worst performance of the day (for me) has to go Tobizaru. Lord knows what he was thinking allowing (Akinomaki's favourite rikishi) Akiseyama to march him out the dohyo from behind.... terrible. Maybe he'll revert to type again after looking decent for the first few days. Yutakayama looks like the one to beat in Juryo at the moment.

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

This guy took my ticket 

20190515_154313_7236.jpg

... but was too shy to ask for your autograph

• Haha 5

Takakeisho for the start of this basho had asked for his Saitama Sakae kohai Naya as his new tsukebito: he had Chiganoura-oyakata request him from Otaka-oyakata for his service - and to instruct him. His oyakata had told Naya the news out of the blue the day before the basho - the first time for Naya to be tsukebito of a sekitori. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/05/13/kiji/20190513s00005000274000c.html

Naya in the back

201905130000939-w200_0.jpgo

so far the basho went good for Naya, but not for Takakeisho

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Takakeisho for the start of this basho had asked for his Saitama Sakae kohai Naya as his new tsukebito: he had Chiganoura-oyakata request him from Otaka-oyakata for his service - and to instruct him. His oyakata had told Naya the news out of the blue the day before the basho - the first time for Naya to be tsukebito of a sekitori. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/05/13/kiji/20190513s00005000274000c.html

Naya in the back

201905130000939-w200_0.jpgo

so far the basho went good for Naya, but not for Takakeisho

We’ll see how things are with the leg injury, but that aside I reckon Takakeisho is having a pretty good start to his Ozekiship. After four days on their debuts Tochinoshin and Terunofuji were 4-0, Takayasu was 3-1 (opening day loss) and Goeido was 2-2 (including a fusen win). Takakeisho sits comfortably on 3-1 and managed to start with a win (always important) and finally get the better of his nemesis, Mitakeumi.

Naya may not be Takakeisho's tsukebito for long -- he may become a sekitori himself before the year is out.

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Takakeisho finally got the better of Mitakeumi and at the latter’s own game no less. Morozashi win? Hard to believe but it happened. Though it seems to have come at a price as he was hobbling afterwards. It’s not often he has to drive with the legs like that, so maybe he strained something.

He had the look and movements of someone who has thrown his back out. Trust me, I know what that looks like.... @808morgan as a fellow bad back sufferer what did you think?

• Sad 1

When Yago did that pull down he did so by grabbing Chiyomaru's cheeks/double chin/jowels. 

1 minute ago, Morty said:

He had the look and movements of someone who has thrown his back out. Trust me, I know what that looks like.... @808morgan as a fellow bad back sufferer what did you think?

I thought the same, that or his hip. That squat after was an attempt to pop it back in. Could be nothing. If you see his tachi ai is tentative on Day 5 he'll push for 8 wins and then let up big time. 

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Forgive me for acting like I’m on the terraces at a football match, but I bloody loved that Tochinoshin win. The man is back. If he’d been pushed to the bales like that in the last two basho, he’d have given in and accepted the loss, but that was proper grit. He wants his rank back bad. 

Yes. Tamawashi had him twice, but he literally refused to lose. Tochinoshin looks in really good shape. Tomorrow Hokutofuji will be a good test for his tournament.

About Takakeisho, watching the replay, it seems that the knee didn't whitstand in the last movement. I hope it's not serious…

Kasei won, but only because Tomokaze stepped on the wrong side of the bale and his foot slipped out. He should take some footwork lessons from Abi who danced his way to a win. Aoiyama seems hell bent on getting only 5 wins. 

Takakeisho's what-to-do-when-somebody-gets-my-belt practice seems to have paid off, but at what price? Unfortunate if it screws up his ozeki debut.

32 minutes ago, lackmaker said:

Looked like an illegal left hand grip by Enho 

Nope, grabbing the crackstrap is totally legal. On the front it'd be no-no.

• Thanks 1

That looked bad for Takakeisho. Hoping a massage and some hot packs will be enough to help, but...well, we'll see.

A fun day of sumo in the top division, better than yesterday at least. Really enjoying having a bunch of smaller guys in makuuchi this time. In particular, I don't know how long Enho can keep this up, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it. 

I did get some amusement from Yoshikaze's match, but what was that tachi-ai? 

Aoiyama thought he was Kotoyuki today, but couldn't get the same distance. I guess his chest makes him less aerodynamic. 

17 minutes ago, Dwale said:

That looked bad for Takakeisho. Hoping a massage and some hot packs will be enough to help, but...well, we'll see.

A fun day of sumo in the top division, better than yesterday at least. Really enjoying having a bunch of smaller guys in makuuchi this time. In particular, I don't know how long Enho can keep this up, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it. 

I did get some amusement from Yoshikaze's match, but what was that tachi-ai? 

Aoiyama thought he was Kotoyuki today, but couldn't get the same distance. I guess his chest makes him less aerodynamic. 

Yes, I had the same thought during the Wakatakakage/Kotoeko bout, although the former was just visiting for the day. It’s especially fun when the small guys go against each other as we get a different type of sumo. There’s quite a few of them now: Kotoeko, Enho, Ishiura, Terutsoyoshi, Meisei, even Chiyoshoma and Abi are on the slender side (if not particularly short). They’re all in the 100-120kg range. Five of them are on the west side, which makes sense as Ichinojo and Aoiyama are on the east and they need to balance out the banzuke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Someone sent me a message saying he would like to buy me a ticket to the basho as a token of appreciation for my channel. I said OK and we met at the entrance. It turns out he is a young Mongolian living in Japan and we had a great time. Last night I had dinner with a couple from Pourtsmouth whom I never met before,  who found my channel as well. The kkan was definitely not sold out, and I'd say there were at least a thousand  empty seats.  Maybe people just didn't show up but they were quite a lot. The second half of Makuuchi was exciting. Juryo was pretty boring except when Aminishiki and Toyonoshima mounted. I got a bit closer than last time but still got dizzy from the heights of the sights. Tomorrow I should have some news about something fun.. Tokyo is great. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

Other than Hattorizakura the worst performance of the day (for me) has to go Tobizaru. Lord knows what he was thinking allowing (Akinomaki's favourite rikishi) Akiseyama to march him out the dohyo from behind.... terrible. Maybe he'll revert to type again after looking decent for the first few days. Yutakayama looks like the one to beat in Juryo at the moment.

Yutakayama is clearly way too good for juryo. But his makuuchi performances have largely been disappointing so far.

I initially thought Takakeisho suffered some kind of groin injury. Hope his knee injury isn't too serious.

Posted (edited)

According to Chris Gould on youtube, Takakeisho is claiming only minor knee pain. However, it was noticed that his limp seemed to have worsened afterwards.

Edited by Dwale

3 hours ago, Fede said:

Yes. Tamawashi had him twice, but he literally refused to lose. Tochinoshin looks in really good shape. Tomorrow Hokutofuji will be a good test for his tournament.

About Takakeisho, watching the replay, it seems that the knee didn't whitstand in the last movement. I hope it's not serious…

Tochinoshin definitely is looking a bit more muscular to me this tournament, especially in his shoulders and traps. Not sure if there's been a bit of a drop of weight to bring out the muscle or if he's just been able to get back into form, but it's heartening to see. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Benevolance said:

This is probably one of the weakest sanyaku in a long time, and Tochinoshin really looks like he intends to take full advantage of it.

He is definitely looking good enough to restore his Ozeki status (btw, does this tournament qualify as an "Ozeki run" for him given the fact that he is officially a Sekiwake?).  But by taking "full advantage" of the weak sanyaku, is a second yusho in the cards?

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

This guy took my ticket 

20190515_154313_7236.jpg

Lol they make the Eternal Typhoon punch tickets?!

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

He is definitely looking good enough to restore his Ozeki status (btw, does this tournament qualify as an "Ozeki run" for him given the fact that he is officially a Sekiwake?).  But by taking "full advantage" of the weak sanyaku, is a second yusho in the cards?

Ten wins means a return to Ozeki. Failure to do so means he has to start his "Ozeki run" from scratch. Let's hope he has better luck than Kotoshogiku...

4 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

My money is on Goeidou Tochinoshin or Kakuryu as the contenders for sure, and I give Kakuryu the tie-breaker because he's....right on schedule for another yusho this tournament or next.