Sakura

Basho Talk - Hatsu Basho 2017 ** (SPOILERS)

Weird match, neither Chiyoshoma nor Daishomaru seemed terribly interested in winning.

44 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Ura beat Sadanoumi. That might send him back to juryo finally. He has to win to Day 15 I think.

GTB tip, just stick him at M16e if he loses. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sesom said:

The translation for Sadanoumi is Banzuke luck. Most people don't know that, but it's the truth.

They don't want him to turn into a Saddernoumi.

• Like 4

How the heck did Takyasu lose there?

• Like 1

Yes! Ichinojo isn't ready for Kise at his lower weight yet. Still a great comeback basho for Ichi.

Kinboshi! Takanoiwa wins! Kisenosato has a YUSHO!

• Like 1

Way to ruin the anticipated Kise vs Hakuho on senshuraku, but congrats Kise on the yusho!!

• Like 1

I was looking forward to Kise-Hak determining the yusho, but oh well. Congrats, Kisenosato, now repeat this in March so you can get your rope.

Wow, wasn't expecting Takanoiwa to do it. Hats off to him. Kisenosato avoided the choke and won his well-deserved yusho (finally). Get that rope!

Will Kisenosato have to win another yusho in order to be promoted to Yokozuna or will he get it now??

2 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

Saw it on the stream. He was almost literally speechless.

Wow. I really thought Hak would turn Takanoiwa at the bales there but Taka got that final push. Well done. Most telling fact of this basho? Hakuho lost to 2 guys he had never faced before. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuroyama said:

Saw it on the stream. He was almost literally speechless.

You saw it in the ring right after Kise beat ichi. He had the look of a guy who thought he needed one more win.

What a time to be sumo fan. Can't wait for the lizard people to decide whether or not to promote Kisenosato instantly.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MumboJumbo said:

Wow, wasn't expecting Takanoiwa to do it. Hats off to him. Kisenosato avoided the choke and won his well-deserved yusho (finally). Get that rope!

As much as people are quick to dismiss day 15 as irrelevant, I think it may matter.

If Kise beats hak tomorrow to emphatically go 14-1, I think he gets the promotion. If hak wins, especially if he wins easily, then... who knows.

holy sh!t ! there's a new Yok in town, no matter if he loses or not, he got the Yusho and a Jun before, showed Yok Sumo - well deserved tsuna

11 minutes ago, Rigel said:

As much as people are quick to dismiss day 15 as irrelevant, I think it may matter.

If Kise beats hak tomorrow to emphatically go 14-1, I think he gets the promotion. If hak wins, especially if he wins easily, then... who knows.

True, a 12-3 jun jusho and a 13-2 yusho and looking at his yusho history it will be very debatable...

Congratulations to Kisenosato for his first yusho. Finally he gets it!

But for those who think he miht be promoted if he wins tomorrow, a reminder of the YDC after last basho :

On 28/11/2016 at 19:55, Kintamayama said:

The YDC convened. Moriya the head said no way even a yusho will get him promoted. Some other members are of the same opinion. Moriya said Kisenosato lost to three hiramaku rikishi and was two wins behind the yusho winner Kakuryuu. "It's a jun-yusho where he wasn't really part of the yusho race..If he gets the yusho, I will not be raising both my hands in approval of his promotion.." said Moriya. The others pointed out his day 13 loss to Tochinoshin. "That made a bad impression," they said.

Moriya, regarding Kakuryuu: "He was very stable. Next year he will probably continue to be a factor.."

Several other members, regarding Hakuhou: "He seems not to be as strong as he was.."

Edited by Nantonoyama
put emphasis

I agree, no rope now. Y or D in Osaka for Kise to get it.

If Kisenosato loses to Hakuho tomorrow (which seems highly unlikely), it would be a 13-2 yusho with Kisenosato having defeated no yokozuna. That would be following a 12-3 jun yusho (two wins off the pace) where he defeated all three yokozuna. A loss tomorrow makes it a weak promotion, but I'm guessing he'd get promoted anyway. 

Takanoiwa's kinboshi is the first from a double digit maegashira rank since Ichinojo got one at Aki 2014. It's a very rare occurrence. 

• Like 4

I do agree that it'll be a big mystery if Hakuho wins tomorrow, but what if Kisenosato beats Hakuho? More than that, what if he beats him *convincingly*? If that were to happen, I think we'll have 4 yokozuna in March.

Its easy to think that this final match doesnt matter, but I think it matters a hell of a lot for Kise;

• Like 1