Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

8 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

Tokushoryu is the chaos element that will happen quite often until the next era is settled, Tamawashi yusho is still fresh in my mind.

The changing of the guard is our 23 year old Ozeki Takakeisho and the bunch young rikishi with promising futures. Now we see Hokutofuji and Shodai have good potential, Enho can stand up for himself against the big guys and Asanoyama is doing his thing, Mitakeumi and Endo have their consistency problems while Yutakayama and Ryuden seem to have gotten it together this basho, even Kagayaki looked good. Abi and Meisei are injuried but i would put money that those two will be regulars at sanyaku, the future is bright and fresh with new talent.

Exactly. Obviously no one is suggesting Tokushoryu is the future of sumo! (Laughing...)

11 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

Tokushoryu is the chaos element that will happen quite often until the next era is settled, Tamawashi yusho is still fresh in my mind.

The changing of the guard is our 23 year old Ozeki Takakeisho and the bunch young rikishi with promising futures. Now we see Hokutofuji and Shodai have good potential, Enho can stand up for himself against the big guys and Asanoyama is doing his thing, Mitakeumi and Endo have their consistency problems while Yutakayama and Ryuden seem to have gotten it together this basho, even Kagayaki looked good. Abi and Meisei are injuried but i would put money that those two will be regulars at sanyaku, the future is bright and fresh with new talent.

Don't forget Daiesho and Tomokaze! I also expect there will be a few more talented youngsters who will come up through the ranks, and I would also expect that Terunofuji will be in that mix somewhere (presuming he can stay fit). I think we should look at him as the beginning of the new generation rather than part of the old one. 

And I will admit I have started fantasising about an old fashioned Yokozuna oshi/yotsu rivalry between Takakeisho and Asanoyama hopefully beginning sometime in the next year or so and going for about five years, supported by an undercard of Ozekis made up from some of the names above (Sakke...)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Didn't even have to investigate B-): http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=842

Edit: Unless he doesn't fit your criteria of "aside from demotions due to injuries".

Many thanks. Somehow I was dead sure Miyabiyama retired upon falling to Juryo...(Blushing...)

Edited by Gospodin

By the way i doubt Tokushoryu will beat Takakeisho.

1 hour ago, Kishinoyama said:

A changing of the guard is inevitable but a 33 year old former college guy with 5 straight Tsukiotoshis who just returned from Juryo is not the future of sumo. He is one of the guards that will need changing. 

Nah, he's not even that. He's just a guy who may be sneaking away with the loot while the old guards are off nursing their wounds and the new guards are still in training. It's a feelgood story that won't have any significant practical implications beyond the current basho.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 14

1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

Nah, he's not even that. He's just a guy who may be sneaking away with the loot while the old guards are off nursing their wounds and the new guards are still in training. It's a feelgood story that won't have any significant practical implications beyond the current basho.

Add onto that reading everyone on here trying to talk about how Tokushoryu should have a shot at sanyaku if he wins. I think that's the last thing that is going to be on his mind. Winning the yusho versus getting into sanyaku I think would be considered a lot more significant to the man and something that can't be taken away from him.

1 hour ago, Joaoiyama said:

.... the future is bright and fresh with new talent.

Well, I certainly hope the 'new talent' will start putting up some double digit wins consistently. More Ozekis and Yokozunas are needed as soon as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every basho will have some good matches. I guess I like to have a bit more of a theme to follow. A coherent chase for the lead, a leaderboard that makes sense, a winner that you feel has really risen to the top, etc.

I think the problem for me is that new order isn't established yet, so it feels like we're watching much more of a "decline of the old guard" rather than a "rise of a new guard", and that's a bit depressing. Watching the older guys you like fade away is more depressing than exciting.

If it ends in playoff drama today though, I'll gladly eat my words. (Laughing...)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Add onto that reading everyone on here trying to talk about how Tokushoryu should have a shot at sanyaku if he wins. I think that's the last thing that is going to be on his mind. Winning the yusho versus getting into sanyaku I think would be considered a lot more significant to the man and something that can't be taken away from him.

Would it be easier for him to get a kabu if he got to the sanyaku ranks?

11 minutes ago, mt fuji said:

Would it be easier for him to get a kabu if he got to the sanyaku ranks?

No.  He has enough sekitori basho under his mawashi to qualify  for a kabu.  It's only a matter of finding one that is available.

Edited by Asojima
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

If the princess were to marry Enho she would have to give up being a princess, unless of course she could settle for being Princess of Sumo.

Enho better be careful, Princess Aiko seems to be moonlighting...;-):-)

Anmerkung 2020-01-26 054618.jpg

Anmerkung 2020-01-26 054446.jpg

Edited by Gospodin
Apologies if anybody feels offended
  • Haha 2

Just now, Asashosakari said:

Akiseyama! (Punkrocker...)

Just came here to shout Fukaaaaoooooooooooooooooooo!!! :-D

• Like 3

Terunofuji's basho ends with a limp. Back-to-back losses makes his yusho look slightly less impressive. No Makuuchi return for him just yet.

4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Terunofuji's basho ends with a limp. Back-to-back losses makes his yusho look slightly less impressive. No Makuuchi return for him just yet.

Indeed. One could argue a healthy Nishikigi is mid-makuuchi material, and thus a challenge for someone looking to get back to makuuchi joi, but Daiamami is rightly ranked at mid-juryo. Another basho fighting the top ranked juryo guys is in order.

51 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Just came here to shout Fukaaaaoooooooooooooooooooo!!! :-D

Same to you!

• Haha 2

With attention on Terunofuji's resurgence it sort of went unnoticed on the forum that Toyonoshima is on the verge of dropping to Makushita. Can we expect an intai announcement?

Ura wins the jonidan yusho ketteisen against Kyokuyuko, going for the leg pick and then swiftly changing to the oshidashi. Easy victory.

6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

With attention on Terunofuji's resurgence it sort of went unnoticed on the forum that Toyonoshima is on the verge of dropping to Makushita. Can we expect an intai announcement?

I wonder. Also about Sokokurai.

A successful comeback for Ura, winning the Jonidan Yusho play-off match against Kyokuyuko.

Showing my ignorance with this question, what prize (if any) is offered to lower division winners?

Toyonoshima seems fit enough to continue fighting, so he might just try work his way back up from the 3rd division again if he still has the will to compete.

Just now, Rocks said:

I wonder. Also about Sokokurai.

Yes. there's been a bit of speculation for a while that he's preparing to take over from his shisho. He got Japanese citizenship not long ago so is qualified at last.

3 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

A successful comeback for Ura, winning the Jonidan Yusho play-off match against Kyokuyuko.

His comeback started last basho...

Showing my ignorance with this question, what prize (if any) is offered to lower division winners?

Money. 500/300/200/100 thousand yen from makushita on down. 2 million in juryo.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Catalin B said:

Now that you mention this... noob question: what's the deal with Chiyoshoma? What are the bad bits that you speak of? Some rikishi do seem to dislike him from what I've seen.

He tends to henka a lot and goes for sneaky pulls. And he's just got one of those faces you want to see punched. He's actually very talented and I usually root for him, but I do have a habit of siding with the bad guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

His comeback started last basho...

True, I suppose I should have said 'more successful' in terms of 7-0 Y vs 6-1. 

4 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Money. 500/300/200/100 thousand yen from makushita on down. 2 million in juryo.

Cool, I figured Juryo would get some cash but I wasn't sure/wouldn't have been surprised if there was nothing it for the lower guys besides physical prizes (the documents they receive) and/or a happy Oyakata..

Edited by Houmanumi