Sign in to follow this  
Randomitsuki

Intai notice

Recommended Posts

Randomitsuki    1,157

Dear gamers,

with a little sorrow and a little relief I have decided to go intai in all sumo games.
This decision was not made in haste or easily, it lingered in the back of my mind for quite some time now.

The reasons are a) a decline in my interest to invest too much of my life into the games (typically, 10-12 hours before the basho, and 2 hours per basho day); coupled with b) the use of age-old, non-updated, badly programmed algorithms which have led to a slight, but steady deterioration of competitiveness. In short, too much effort for too much suck. :-)

For years, I was considering to start the great overhaul of my algorithms, but that would be a very massive undertaking of hundreds of hours preparation. There is this little voice in my head that has lots of great ideas on how to make my gaming performance not only better, but also much more efficient. And then there is the general inertia of the rest of mind and body that shies away from such a massive undertaking. 

Who knows, maybe quitting the games and suffering from some withdrawal symptoms will actually have an energizing effect on me to do the massive data overhaul. And maybe not. Both would be fine.

I had a helluva time competing with you, and I will definitely be standing at the sidelines rooting for you.
I wish that you will all win a Green Mawashi one day, but the sumo gods and Pandaazuma may prevent this from materializing. :-)

As to my other gaming involvements: not much is going to change.
I will definitely continue with the Superbanzuke, and I will also continue with MCP Standings and the Makushita Game banzuke.
However, I would love to be freed from making the Juryo Game banzuke. Any voluntary takers, please?

  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gaijingai    38

Random-Zeki , what will Bench Sumo be without you?? At least stay with us there!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jejima    233
Posted (edited)

Say it ain't so! Bench Sumo needs you as a player as well as the MCP gyoji!

Edit: unless you say otherwise, we'll treat you as intai for bench banzuke making.

Edited by Jejima
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sakura    156

Randomitsuki, I want to thank you for your participation in all these things. Particularly your participation in the first BTC, which helped it get going.

I also remember our only bout in Bench Sumo, which you won 14-14 :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kintamayama    16,881

Another one bites the dust.. Doits went quietly, I just quit Sumo Game after dropping to Makushita and going 5-10.. I'm left with three games out of 27 I used to play.

Just like in real life, it's taking its toll on our weary bodies..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flohru    65

Very sorry to hear this. If I may make a suggestion: Why not forget about your algorithms for one basho and try a completely different approach? Just go by your (very experienced) gut feeling and see what happens - I am sure you would a) do great in terms of competitiveness and b) only need 10-15 minutes a day for your picks instead of 2 hours.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Unkonoyama    61

I am really sad to hear this news but I wish you the best in the future.  I really appreciate all of the work you have done with the games and also your continued involvement with the Super Banzuke.  

I would also like to second Flohru's suggestion of trying a less time-consuming "feel" approach instead of full intai.  Not that I am anywhere near as good as you or other players here, but I like to think I am reasonably competitive spending 15-20min a day watching the bouts and another 15-20min a day making my daily picks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andonishiki    96

this is a very sad day for Sumo !

Dear Rando, as long as ur brain works well, this community will give u fun & strength.

Sumogames can be played till age 100 and beyond.

It's the people not the algorithms.

I hope u will pause for one basho, then u will regret and come back strong !

all the best from Vaduz

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nantonoyama    35

Sorry to hear the retirement of such a legendary sumogamer, but I understand that the commitment his huge, particularly since you spend to much time. My daily picks take 20 mins at most, and as for the pre-basho, I'd say 2/3 hours. Perhaps Flohru is right about the ratio time/fun/results.

As for the Juryo Game banzuke, I'd like to volunteer if you still want to be freed of it. I never did game banzuke-making before, but I have pretty decent results in GTB...

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asashosakari    8,122

Sorry to see you go, but hey, who would have thought that a lowly shindeshi known as Budinishiki would end up going this far? ;-) I'll echo the others in hoping that you'll be gracing a virtual dohyo or two again in the future. (Dohyo-iri...)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurowake    1,322
2 hours ago, Flohru said:

Very sorry to hear this. If I may make a suggestion: Why not forget about your algorithms for one basho and try a completely different approach? Just go by your (very experienced) gut feeling and see what happens - I am sure you would a) do great in terms of competitiveness and b) only need 10-15 minutes a day for your picks instead of 2 hours.

Well, I would think it would be the opposite, at least from how I operate.  Now, obviously I was only a newbie when I was making my picks solely by gut, but part of what motivated me to make a purely results-based system that left nothing subjective to consider was that it could be applied very quickly.  I set out to have the output of all the calculations organized such that reading the results off for each game was fairly straightforward.  It takes very little time each day, maybe 10 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asashosakari    8,122
Posted (edited)

FWIW, I also think it's pretty difficult to go from a system-based approach (or really anything data intensive) to gut-based selections. It's not fully comparable, but I ended up dropping Norizo Cup a few years ago because I could no longer justify the two or three hours it would take me to choose my picks, and I couldn't compel myself to keep playing the game without doing that level of research.

Edited by Asashosakari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fukurou    322
5 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

I could no longer justify the two or three hours it would take me to choose my picks

I can't imagine taking that much time to make picks for any collection of games. You were seriously into this stuff man. Good luck on your game intai!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pandaazuma    691
8 hours ago, Randomitsuki said:

Dear gamers,

with a little sorrow and a little relief I have decided to go intai in all sumo games.
This decision was not made in haste or easily, it lingered in the back of my mind for quite some time now.

The reasons are a) a decline in my interest to invest too much of my life into the games (typically, 10-12 hours before the basho, and 2 hours per basho day); coupled with b) the use of age-old, non-updated, badly programmed algorithms which have led to a slight, but steady deterioration of competitiveness. In short, too much effort for too much suck. :-)

For years, I was considering to start the great overhaul of my algorithms, but that would be a very massive undertaking of hundreds of hours preparation. There is this little voice in my head that has lots of great ideas on how to make my gaming performance not only better, but also much more efficient. And then there is the general inertia of the rest of mind and body that shies away from such a massive undertaking. 

Who knows, maybe quitting the games and suffering from some withdrawal symptoms will actually have an energizing effect on me to do the massive data overhaul. And maybe not. Both would be fine.

I had a helluva time competing with you, and I will definitely be standing at the sidelines rooting for you.
I wish that you will all win a Green Mawashi one day, but the sumo gods and Pandaazuma may prevent this from materializing. :-)

As to my other gaming involvements: not much is going to change.
I will definitely continue with the Superbanzuke, and I will also continue with MCP Standings and the Makushita Game banzuke.
However, I would love to be freed from making the Juryo Game banzuke. Any voluntary takers, please?

Well, I tried...you know I tried!  It's a real shame, this, because Rando always was and still remains my fave gamer. And such a nice guy with it. I can only hold out hope that you get a few weeks free sometime in the future to do that new system you mentioned and put it into practice.

As Moti says above, the number of participants is definitely falling so losing a high-profile player like Rando is damaging.  It might even be worth doing some recruitment on other sites...a lot of sumo fans simply have no idea that the games exist at such an organised level, and I know from my own experience that many love the games when they realise they are there.  Chankoyama (an acquaintance of mine) is a case in point.

Thanks for everything, Rando! :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gurowake    1,322
57 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

FWIW, I also think it's pretty difficult to go from a system-based approach (or really anything data intensive) to gut-based selections. It's not fully comparable, but I ended up dropping Norizo Cup a few years ago because I could no longer justify the two or three hours it would take me to choose my picks, and I couldn't compel myself to keep playing the game without doing that level of research.

When I had more time on my hands, I absolutely used a simulation that I had to try to get a feel as to the relative likelihood of things.  I think I did that for one, maybe two basho, before I just couldn't justify the time spent coding in their questions.  I may have used it a bit longer for the Yusho question.  Now that I did that a few times I know how best to judge the various chances and the simulation I use for projecting values for each rikishi in Salary Cap also provides raw Yusho numbers, which at least gives me some idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fujisan    127
10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Another one bites the dust.. Doits went quietly, I just quit Sumo Game after dropping to Makushita and going 5-10.. I'm left with three games out of 27 I used to play.

Just like in real life, it's taking its toll on our weary bodies..

Well I can promise you one thing I am NEVER retiring,I  am here untill I am the last player....

I will go down with the ship......

It has already happened to me twice before.......

"The Grimsby Fantasy  society" I never missed a meeting in 5 years in the GFS and as a commitee member I never missed  a commitee meeting either-The last two no one else but me attended......

Monday night AA meeting got down to two members and we had a vote to close the meeting and it won won by a majority 2-0........

So you can believe what I say....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fujisan    127
12 hours ago, Randomitsuki said:

Dear gamers,

with a little sorrow and a little relief I have decided to go intai in all sumo games.
This decision was not made in haste or easily, it lingered in the back of my mind for quite some time now.

 

Sorry to hear that Rando....

I wish I could say I understand but I dont....

Happy intai anyway..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ganzohnesushi    140

Very sad to read this.... Another Sumo Gaming Giant leaves the virtual Doyho. Good to hear that you will continue the work on several tasks, such as Superbanzuke and MCP.

Thanks for all hard work and al the efforts you made for the gaming community. And thanks for all the funny comments below your daily Bench Sumo lineup. You and especially your surpassing humour will be missed. I hope some day you will find the time to work on new algorithms and growing curiosity whether these work will start another career. Best of luck.

Ganzohnesushi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gaijingai    38

I knows that before every basho for the last couple years I have said to myself "This is it. No more." However, the sheer fun and joy of it all gets me pumped up for the basho and by day 15 I am so happy that I stayed with it. My only way of picking for the 20 games that I am in is two-fold:

1. I look at banzukes of the past several bashos to get a feel for how each rikishi did at a certain level in the past year.

2. I follow the injury reports people post here.

 

That's it.

Mrs. Uchidate: Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic!

Gaijingai: Who asked you???

Oh yeah - I almost forgot. I love the humor we can put into a few of these games, especially Bench Sumo.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manekineko    190

A true sign of middle age - less time/interest in once all-consuming hobbies. ;-) Hopefully you'll keep enjoying sumo for a long time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
charliki    8
On ‎24‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 17:13, Randomitsuki said:

with a little sorrow and a little relief I have decided to go intai in all sumo games.

:'-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this