Kenneth Minami

How long have you been interested in sumo?

How long have you been interested in sumo?   51 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been interested in sumo?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 posts in this topic

My dad worked in Japan in the late 80s and my mum discovered Chiyonofuji... Then Channel 4 started showing it in the UK and I would watch with my mother and brother. Chiyonofuji, Terao, Konishiki; hard not to get hooked watching those 3, especially against each other!

I've said this before elsewhere, but I might as well mention it again.

The front page of Wikipedia used to (and presumably still does, but I don't check it anymore) have important events from around the world in the headlines, regardless of how popular they might be with the English-speaking users.  One that caught my attention was when Kakuryu was promoted to Yokozuna.  I was interested in exactly what that meant, not knowing much of anything about the sport besides its Japanese heritage.  So after reading about it for awhile, I thought it was pretty interesting and eventually found this forum.

For me, my first basho was May 1990. My husband and I and our two children had just moved to Japan for a year. I had never even heard of sumo before arriving in the country, and I was just blown away by this strange sport which had so much ritual attached to it. It helped that this was the time of Chiyonofuji, Kirishima, and Terao, not to mention Konishiki.

I got into sumo maybe when I was about five, my dad discussed it infront of my mom and I looked it up on my dads computer. Years later I'm still watching my favorite wrestlers! 

27 years since it was first shown on British tv.............