WAKATAKE

Basho Talk - Natsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Kise vs Hak today and I predict Hak will dispense Kise rather quickly and easily. Kise didn't look dominant in his 12-0 run whereas Hak looked absolutely flawless. I am rooting for Kise though. Too bad that the Yusho deciding bout is on day 13.

Hoping for Satoyama to run the table to finish 8-7 for a possible promotion.

I remember how thrilled I was in Natsu 2015 when Terunofuji took the yusho with 12-3. Both of his tournaments at sekiwake were so much fun, and such a showcase of calm, powerful sumo. And now, one year later, he'll be lucky to even make it to 3-12... between his injuries and Aminishiki's injuries, it's really put a damper on my mood.

That match against Kisenosato was really hard to watch. I'm begging him to withdraw.

Edited by Motemakuru
  • Like 1

I'd say many of the medical experts on this forum now need to confess they were wrong about Endo's knee.

Hey, do you guys remember when Tochiozan was the next Japanese ozeki hope?

In the same vein, Takayasu has been injured to shreds but maybe there is a chance for a comeback. Today we saw the Takayasu who will literally beat you left handed if he has to.

And on the topic of lingering injuries: Tochinoshin might be over one. He just casually lifting his opponents now... with a broken rib. I really want to see him at full strength trying that stuff on Hakuho.

I do disagree with Kintamayama that Ichinojo has indeed improved. It's just that he has some many holes in his game that fixing two of them still leaves a dozen open ones. He has done some acceptable moves this basho but against a hornet like Yoshikaze he was helpless.

There has been speculation on the dichotomy of Kaisei. I have heard a theory that his has chronic back pain, which would explain everything. Back is a tricky thing, the pain can come and go on a daily basis. If that has indeed been his problem, he might have found a way to fight it, because this isn't even Kaisei A, this is Kaisei 2.0. That win - against Myogiryu, no less - was proper sumo.

I expect there to be a bit of a noise tomorrow leading into the Kisenosato-Hakuho match.

Kakuryu got caught in the full bumpetybump. Kisenosato didn't. Maybe that says something. I dunno.

In his first few bouts, Ichinojou looked quicker, and more energetic. Now, he is losing too easily (like two bashos ago). He seems to give up too quickly when the bout is going bad for him.

Indeed Kisenosato looks improved this basho. He is absorbing well all attacks, and his response to his opponent's defensive lateral movements has been quick and solid footwork. He is also calm and taking his time to finish bouts. But that throw or different technique that would here and then save him at a pinch is still missing and probably always will, but what he does, he does well and precisely. Also, in comparison with Hakuho, Kisenosato is clearly the more rigid one. His upper body isn't swift as the wind as they say.

Yet, he can beat Hakuho tomorrow, the Yokozuna should know it, that's why Kisenosato must approach carefully that bout but not as much as to be taken aback by a big blast as he was in March. The Yokozuna is doing fine, but often gives one the impression he is rushing things. It might be an injury he is trying to hide, or energy he tries to save; maybe both.

Harumafuji has a minimal chance of claming the Yusho. He is only mathematically in, so to speak, however he remains an asset to sumo. I'd say the same about the always composed Kakuryu. The latter backpedals too often for a Yokozuna, but otherwise can do textbook sumo when he wants. Unfortunately for him he is simply not good enough to deliver titles regularly. Goeido and Kotoshogiku are doing their best, which isn't quite good enough for better results.

I still miss the Chiyootori from his start in Makuuchi. Has anyone seen him ? The good news is that Chiyonokuni is back.

Asasekiryu is surprisingly holding his own in Juryo in the middle of a long and steady decline. Someone who is not that successful is 10Kaiho. After his almost certain drop I don't think we will see him again in Juryo (like Tokushinho). It is not just this basho (that I am barely watching in Juryo) it is the last half dozen.

Edit: grammar and the like.

Edited by shumitto

I'd say many of the medical experts on this forum now need to confess they were wrong about Endo's knee.

Nothing has shown we were wrong yet. Endō is still far from his pre-injury ability, which was easily san’yaku material with ōzeki prospects. Tochinoshin has proven that sitting out a few tournaments to let yourself heal is a much better idea, too. So I don’t know how you came to that conclusion.

Edit: Can we get a gif of the Hakuhō–Gōeidō sandwich?

Edited by ALAKTORN
  • Like 2

I think Kisenosato wins an odd one against Hakuho after 2 matta. And then goes into goofball mode and loses on Day 14.

Just kidding...it'd be cool if Kisenosato finally pulled it off.

Nothing has shown we were wrong yet. Endō is still far from his pre-injury ability, which was easily san’yaku material with ōzeki prospects. Tochinoshin has proven that sitting out a few tournaments to let yourself heal is a much better idea, too. So I don’t know how you came to that conclusion.

Edit: Can we get a gif of the Hakuhō–Gōeidō sandwich?

which endo were you watching? the endo I saw never had a kachi-koshi above M5.

While I agree that this endo is remarkably improved from the Endo of 6 months ago, and I also agree that I'm waiting to see how he does against the big boys, I never thought he was a steady sanyaku. Good in the joi, but no Ozeki prospects yet.

Nothing has shown we were wrong yet. Endō is still far from his pre-injury ability, which was easily san’yaku material with ōzeki prospects.
I agree with that. Endo was 10-5 (after 9-3) at a similar rank 10 months ago, shortly after the injuries; he's 9-3 now. All that says is that he is a very talented rikishi who can do well in very low makuuchi even at much less than 100%. Nobody claimed that his knees wouldn't get better over time - the worry was that they wouldn't get good again. I can't remember where I read it a few days ago (comment section on one of Kinta's videos maybe), but supposedly Endo said on one of the broadcasts that he feels his knees are okay on the dohyo, but that he has regular discomfort the rest of the time at the moment. I'd be concerned if I heard that from a 30+ year old veteran, but from a 25 year old prospect? Yikes. Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

So, after Kakuryu beating Harumafuji, leaving both at 10-3, the Yusho has now come down to Hak & Kise, who are preparing for the pivotal match of the basho - not necessarily yusho-deciding though. Couldn't have been scripted better (if it were scripted...)

Very quiet today in this thread - has everybody just been anticipating the musibi no ichiban?

So, the Japanese Sports journalists can already start brainstorming about the "Why Kise will be really ready for the Yokozuna rank in July" story ahead of the Nagoya basho.

• Like 1

Goodnight sweet prince.

There goes Kisenosato's Yusho and his Yokozuna dreams. Crushed again by the great and mighty Mongolian Regime.

We all knew Kisensosato had absolutely no change didn't we? Even if Hakuho decided to give him false hope by losing, it would only meant that Kakuryuu and Harumafuji would have beaten him anyway while losing to Hakuho.

ehh...harumafuji will ruin another yusho for hakuho and kise will take it... (fingers crossed)..

If Hakuho and Kisenosato did a jikan-mae before the whole parade of kensho banners was finished, would the amount of envelopes have been reduced accordingly? B-)

• Like 7

If Hakuho and Kisenosato did a jikan-mae before the whole parade of kensho banners was finished, would the amount of envelopes have been reduced accordingly? B-)

lol, something like that?

"...soba chazuke, Nagatanien, tarako chazuke, Nagatani...." "NOKOTTA, NOKOTTA, NOKOTTAAA!"

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 3

anybody got video of jikan-mae actually happening?

Tokitenku and Hak did it a couple of years ago

We were robbed of an actual Ikioi-Goueidou bout today. Matta should have been called there, no doubt. Both men all over the place, the Ozeki recovering quicker. Poor stuff from the gyoji there- it's just not cricket.

hmm. nice. But did they agree before the video started? was there some sort of language, nodding, signaling?

Great!!! I didn't know it is a real option... wow

By the way, Kisenosato displayed a great sumo against Hak. In Hakuho's era getting a yusho is a real struggle.... and you have to be lucky, also. Let's see if he manage to keep this shape throughout the year.

And I really hope that USB streaming will get better because there will be some couple of interesting bouts in the next days... and today it was painful to see and not see anything...

(many thanks to the great Kintamayama and the others)

I will begrudgingly admit that today's match from Hakuho has been my favorite from him this entire basho, simply because he went with the style he used to that made him dominant. But Kise, man you got to get the job done. So that pretty much seals the deal and we will see Kise at Ozeki in Nagoya, but make no mistake with a 13-2 and at least 12 wins so far, he is looking at a tsuna run for Nagoya. A yusho will seal it in Nagoya.

"He was so close!" <-- The battle cry of Kisenosato fans everywhere. Heck of a match, though.

As for Osunaarashi, for him I have but one question: What in the anglin' **** are you doing in there?

• Like 1