WAKATAKE

Basho Talk - Natsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

I might wear pink whenever Ura enters makuuchi.

I absolutely LOVE me some utchari. On top of that, I absolutely LOVE me some tsuridashi. Lovely old-school kimarite. Thank you based TochinoWIN and Hakuhou. An absolute treat. And what a way to end the basho- nothing short of epic.

• Like 1

41st career kimarite for Hakuhou- utchari. This is his first of his career, yes indeed.

Compared to other rikishi, including the kimarite they recorded under different shikona:

Asashouryuu 46

Ama/Harumafuji 43

Suginomori/Aminishiki 43

Kakuryuu 36

Sawai/Goueidou 32

Hagiwara/Kisenosato 26

Kotokikutsugi/Kotoshougiku 25

Hiroshima/Chiyotaikai 21

Kitao/Futahaguro 20

Aminishiki only spent 2 basho as Suginomori, in which he recorded 13 wins. But among those 13 wins, he used 8 different kimarite, including the rare shitatehineri (prevalence rate is about 1 every 500 bouts).

And all this in his first 4 months after Maezumou.

Edited by McBugger
  • Like 5

A. Yes he does! Kisenosato is guaranteed his 10th jun-yusho with this outing. All the other rikishi with 10 jun-yusho have at least five, let alone one, yusho to their name. (source :http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=rikishi&having=10&form1_jy=on&form1_m=on

With 6 makuuchi scores of at least 13-2, he's now also tied with Konishiki for the all-time lead among rikishi who didn't/haven't made it to yokozuna. Of course, Konishiki got 3 yusho out of it...

I absolutely LOVE me some utchari. On top of that, I absolutely LOVE me some tsuridashi. Lovely old-school kimarite. Thank you based TochinoWIN and Hakuhou. An absolute treat. And what a way to end the basho- nothing short of epic.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Utchari is my favourite kimarite, and that one was awesome.

Hakuho has more than made up for the somewhat disappointing end to the last Basho as far as I'm concerned.

I will say that the finish to this basho was more satisfying than the last basho. Hakuho went old school and Kakuryu gave him a good fight. Kakuryu's mistake was trying that sotogake which allowed Hakuho to get that utchari in. Interesting to see how all these guys will go for Nagoya. Kaisei, sekiwake next basho.

Believe me Kise will win tomorrow...

... done

on to nagoya

It took him some time obviously, but Chiyonokuni will be making a triumphant return to the makuuchi ranks for the first time since Natsu 2014. After injuries forced him to sit out a while, he fell all the way back to Sandanme 28 before slowly but surely climbing back. His drop and rise puts him in second place for lowest rank a former makuuchi wrestler has fallen before successfully earning promotion back to the division. I'll be posting that list when I make my Top 10 records Natsu 2016 thread.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=6642

• Like 5

41st career kimarite for Hakuhou- utchari. This is his first of his career, yes indeed.

Compared to other rikishi, including the kimarite they recorded under different shikona:

Asashouryuu 46

Ama/Harumafuji 43

Suginomori/Aminishiki 43

Kakuryuu 36

Sawai/Goueidou 32

Hagiwara/Kisenosato 26

Kotokikutsugi/Kotoshougiku 25

Hiroshima/Chiyotaikai 21

Kitao/Futahaguro 20

Aminishiki only spent 2 basho as Suginomori, in which he recorded 13 wins. But among those 13 wins, he used 8 different kimarite, including the rare shitatehineri (prevalence rate is about 1 every 500 bouts).

And all this in his first 4 months after Maezumou.

Interesting statistics. Good job. Edited by Dapeng

Believe me Kise will win tomorrow...

... done

on to nagoya

Nothing difficult to guss. Many people knew he would win.
  • Like 1

Nice to see Sadanofuji winning today, he was watchful at the tachiai, kept Ura in front of him well and got the timing of his pushes right. It's very easy to criticize the larger rikishi for an apparent lack of effort - when you have the turning circle of an ocean liner, it's difficult to do the same kind of dynamic twisting and turning escapism that the smaller rikishi can do.

But at the opposite end of the scales, also great to see Kitaharima win with some excellent ottsuke and hazuoshi against Sato. Dare I hope for a Makuuchi debut in Nagoya?

• Like 2

Well, it was a fun ride, but then it always is. See y'all again on the designated day. Peace.

A. Yes he does! Kisenosato is guaranteed his 10th jun-yusho with this outing. All the other rikishi with 10 jun-yusho have at least five, let alone one, yusho to their name. (source :http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=rikishi&having=10&form1_jy=on&form1_m=on

With 6 makuuchi scores of at least 13-2, he's now also tied with Konishiki for the all-time lead among rikishi who didn't/haven't made it to yokozuna. Of course, Konishiki got 3 yusho out of it...
This is a very good point. Basically Hakuho is singlehandedly blocking Kisenosato's yokozunahood. While Kakuryu and Harumafuji found some spells of form that gave them a temporary edge over Hakuho, it hasn't happened for Kisenosato so far.

This is a very good point. Basically Hakuho is singlehandedly blocking Kisenosato's yokozunahood. While Kakuryu and Harumafuji found some spells of form that gave them a temporary edge over Hakuho, it hasn't happened for Kisenosato so far.

The problem with Kise is that it's exactly 13 wins, Konishiki had 14 twice. If 13-2 is your cap, your best possible score, you shouldn't be a yokozuna. Not once has Kise ever gotten 14 wins, and I don't think he ever will.

• Like 1

The problem with Kise is that it's exactly 13 wins, Konishiki had 14 twice. If 13-2 is your cap, your best possible score, you shouldn't be a yokozuna. Not once has Kise ever gotten 14 wins, and I don't think he ever will.

The only time Kise realistically has a chance of 14 wins is if two of the three Yokozunas are out injured and Kise is in absolute tip top condition physically and mentally. Otherwise, the chances are slimmer than me scoring a winning goal in the FA Cup Final at Wembley...

Well, minus Hakuho it could be 14 wins ;)

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1651976.html

The YDC has convened and will consider Kisenosato for promotion to Yokozuna on the following conditions: 14-15 wins AND the yusho. 13-2 yusho will not cut it. YDC Chairman Moriya stated that they don't want to promote in haste which in turn may speed up his retirement.

>14 wins

>yusho

There's two things Kisenosato doesn't seem likely to ever obtain.

• Like 1

The YDC has convened and will consider Kisenosato for promotion to Yokozuna on the following conditions: 14-15 wins AND the yusho. 13-2 yusho will not cut it. YDC Chairman Moriya stated that they don't want to promote in haste which in turn may speed up his retirement.

Do they really believe that Kise can achieve three consecutive 13 wins or better? It seems the YDC and NSK have great confidence in Kise.

In my opinion, with Hakuho and the other two yokozuna healthy, it's very difficult for Kise to manage "14-15 wins AND the yusho" in Nagoya. Kise's yokozuna dream is probably gone forever ...

>14 wins

>yusho

There's two things Kisenosato doesn't seem likely to ever obtain.

Sure. It's mission impossible for Kise.

However, if he yushoes with 13 wins in Nagoya, I believe they will promote him anyway.

• Like 1