WAKATAKE

Basho Talk - Natsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Really nice basho from Kaisei. I was expecting something like 2-13 or 3-12 but his 7-7 until now is impressive - if he could get a win again Tochiozan tomorrow he gets a Sekiwake position (and even losing maybe he stays as Komosubi W)

Yesterday (Day 13) and today (Day 14) were very good days.

Sansho predictions?

I say that Tochinoshin gets the gino-kanto double, no shukun.

Looks like Tochinoshin may finally grab a sekiwake spot...at least if they dont pull an S1e to S1w with the hooter.

Edited by Katooshu

If Takayasu loses and Mitakeumi wins tomorrow, we'll see Mitakeumi in the west Komusubi slot, right?

Yesterday’s and today’s bouts almost made me forget Hakuhō’s on a decline. Nice leg move by Kakuryū too, Kisenosato got totally caught by that.

• Like 2

Yesterday’s and today’s bouts almost made me forget Hakuhō’s on a decline.

That was well put, I was planning on posting something like "I know it is redundant to say it, but Hakuho is good", but it felt wrong.

hakuho's decline

ha, ha ha, ha ha ha ha

hakuho's decline

ha, ha ha, ha ha ha ha

Well, sure. He's only won three of the last six basho, and actually went kyujo once. That is clearly below his standard.

As I mentioned, he is good.

Hak signed, sealed, and delivered. IMO, he has been dominant all basho long. Looks like he can win a few more bashos unless someone steps up. Too bad for Kise who I was rooting for. Does he have a record for the most jun-yushos without an yusho?

Miketaumi won again and is likely to face Ozekis & Yokozunas in the next basho, no? That's going to test his mettle. Hope he does better than what Shodai did.

Kotoyuki will likely get demoted but I like his chances for being the next Ozeki. He needs to add another technique or two. Like Kotoshogiku, he looks like one trick pony.

Edited by robnplunder

Hak signed, sealed, and delivered. IMO, he has been dominant all basho long. Looks like he can win a few more bashos unless someone steps up. Too bad for Kise who I was rooting for. Does he have a record for the most jun-yushos without an yusho?

Miketaumi won again and is likely to face Ozekis & Yokozunas in the next basho, no? That's going to test his mettle. Hope he does better than what Shodai did.

Kotoyuki will likely get demoted but I like his chances for being the next Ozeki. He needs to add another technique or two. Like Kotoshogiku, he looks like one trick pony.

A. Yes he does! Kisenosato is guaranteed his 10th jun-yusho with this outing. All the other rikishi with 10 jun-yusho have at least five, let alone one, yusho to their name. (source :http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=rikishi&having=10&form1_jy=on&form1_m=on

B. Yes, Mitakeumi will face all the Y/O, guaranteed top-16 spot even with a loss tomorrow, I would think. In fact, if he wins and Takayasu loses tomorrow, I can't see how he won't be a Komusubi in July.

C: The next Chiyotaikai? One can only hope.

Edit: fixed link

Edited by McBugger
  • Like 1

What I really like about today's matches is that Kakuryu was able to demonstrate who is Yokozuna and who is not.

• Like 5

A. Yes he does! Kisenosato is guaranteed his 10th jun-yusho with this outing. All the other rikishi with 10 jun-yusho have at least five, let alone one, yusho to their name. (source : http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=rikishi&having=10&form1_jy=on)

You mean this?

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=rikishi&having=10&form1_jy=on&form1_m=on

Yes I do. I swear it was gachinko ctrl-c, ctrl-v, how did that happen?

What I really like about today's matches is that Kakuryu was able to demonstrate who is Yokozuna and who is not.

The ranking system works. The 3 'zunas are clearly a level or two above the 3 Ozekis who are a level or two above the rest.

Yes I do. I swear it was gachinko ctrl-c, ctrl-v, how did that happen?

It's a mongolian conspiracy. You can only ctrl-v if Hakuho allows it.

• Like 7

The ranking system works. The 3 'zunas are clearly a level or two above the 3 Ozekis who are a level or two above the rest.

Although Kak has only scored more wins than Kise in 3 of the last 10 tournaments, and while Kak got the win today (though don't forget he dropped the previous 2 to Kise) he also lost to Ikioi, Kotoyuki, and Kotoshogiku, all of whom Kise beat.

I think Kak and Kise are on a very similar level overall, though the former is obviously stronger under pressure and it does distinguish the two.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Well, it's a bit debatable in terms of whether it's working for Kisenosato. Despite his loss to Kakuryu, I'd say the two of them are pretty much at the same level judging by their overall history of results, with Kisenosato very marginally ahead.

• Like 1

Although Kak has only scored more wins than Kise in 3 of the last 10 tournaments.......

Good point. All Kise need is an Yusho.

Certainly one can hope he does better, but Shodai has slightly over-performed from how I see it. Just getting 6 wins in the top 16 shows that you belong there. It obviously won't keep you there forever, but it's much better than how, say, Sadanofuji did. If he wins his last match he'll be ranked at worst M3e and still in the top 16. If he loses he might leave the joi, but 6-9 on a debut there isn't too bad.

• Like 1

Certainly one can hope he does better, but Shodai has slightly over-performed from how I see it. Just getting 6 wins in the top 16 shows that you belong there. It obviously won't keep you there forever, but it's much better than how, say, Sadanofuji did. If he wins his last match he'll be ranked at worst M3e and still in the top 16. If he loses he might leave the joi, but 6-9 on a debut there isn't too bad.

Agreed, Shodai did ok at this basho. IMHO, Shodai looked strategically, tactically ill prepared to face the big boys for the 1st half of basho. I hope this basho helped him to do better against higher ranked rikishis in the future. Can Miketaumi do better? 6-9, 7-8 will be a decent result. Anything better than that, he will be a hero.

What impresses me with Shodai is, that he has a plan B if plan A in a match doesn't work. That is a trait you often find with upper ranks and not by a typical "elevator" maegashira.

Agreed, Shodai did ok at this basho. IMHO, Shodai looked strategically, tactically ill prepared to face the big boys for the 1st half of basho. I hope this basho helped him to do better against higher ranked rikishis in the future. Can Miketaumi do better? 6-9, 7-8 will be a decent result. Anything better than that, he will be a hero.

Also, check your spelling on "Mitakeumi"; you have it incorrect twice in the same way, so you've probably got those two syllables swapped in your head as well.

Mitakeumi, Mitakeumi, Mitakeumi. I need to remember that. Thanks for the correction.