WAKATAKE

Basho Talk - Natsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Anybody wanna take an early stab at sansho predictions? Other than Kaisei hopefully getting one if he KK's, I'm drawing a complete blank. I guess there are a couple of guys like Mitakeumi and Endo who would look sansho-worthy if they win all three remaining bouts, but...

Kanto-Sho for Tochinoshin if he gets 10 wins. He is fighting with a broken rib and is winning by lifring other rikishi in the air like they weight 50kg.

Either Tochinoshin or Endo for the Kanto-Sho, while both Shukun-Sho and Gino-Sho are unawarded. Would be strange that no Sansho is awarded at all. :P

Anybody wanna take an early stab at sansho predictions? Other than Kaisei hopefully getting one if he KK's, I'm drawing a complete blank. I guess there are a couple of guys like Mitakeumi and Endo who would look sansho-worthy if they win all three remaining bouts, but...

Kanto-Sho for Tochinoshin if he gets 10 wins. He is fighting with a broken rib and is winning by lifring other rikishi in the air like they weight 50kg.

Either Tochinoshin or Endo for the Kanto-Sho, while both Shukun-Sho and Gino-Sho are unawarded. Would be strange that no Sansho is awarded at all. :P

Has there ever been a basho where NO sansho were awarded?

If any of your friends should ask "Why are they so fat?" then I think today's Tochinoshin match would be a handy visual aid.

Glad I apologized about Endou yesterday since he flattened my guy today.

Kotoyuki in a precarious position. He's a good strategist, but he's got his work cut out for him. Ganbatte.

Prediction for tomorrow: Hakuho attempts henka, Kisenosato reads it and wins by *****-slap. Heh, just kidding. Definitely looking forward to it!

• Like 1

The answer to that is no. However these days it seems to have been easier for the NSK to only award one sansho, it would be very interesting if they did decide not to give anybody sansho this basho. Problem is there's nobody really being outstanding in the lower ranks except for those in the Juryo yusho race.

The answer to that is no. However these days it seems to have been easier for the NSK to only award one sansho, it would be very interesting if they did decide not to give anybody sansho this basho. Problem is there's nobody really being outstanding in the lower ranks except for those in the Juryo yusho race.

Thanks for the Insight. If Kotoyuki gets his KK, would he get a S-S for beating Kakuryu? Sorry, I'm rooting for him...HHHHUUUU!!!!

Speculation: what if Kisenosato wins against Hakuho by henka and takes the zensho yusho? Now that would be something to behold. It would also be a real headscratcher for the Yokozuna Deliberation Council...

Hakuhō is not going to lose to a henka. Kisenosato only henkad once in his whole career as far as I know, it was pretty recent though (like, last tournament).
Well there's been a couple instances when he has lost to a henka, so its not impossible --
Yeah, but I was talking about today’s Hakuhō. I don’t know if it’s the “go no sen”, but his tachiai has changed drastically. He used to go in and get a belt grip as is usual, now he almost never goes for that. So, henka would be much less effective on him now. I can only see Harumafuji pulling it off on him currently. Edited by ALAKTORN

Kotoyukis prize would be survival at that rank.

I must agree with that assessment, but I believe a KK is still possible. HHHHUUUU!!!!

It's painful simply watching Akiseyama trying to get both hands on the dohyo...

I thought it would be...

Has anyone in the NSK checked to see if Akiseyama is physically able to touch the dohyo with both hands simultaneously? ;-)

Has anyone in the NSK checked to see if Akiseyama is physically able to touch the dohyo with both hands simultaneously? ;-)

• Like 1

Kise is looking the goods. In the past he would have dropped his bundle by now, but he looks calm and collected. I can see him beating Hak tomorrow.

The answer to that is no. (snip)
possibly relevant, from last year

If Kotoyuki gets his KK, would he get a S-S for beating Kakuryu?

Possible kanto-sho, I'd guess, same as for Kaisei. Kachikoshi in a sanyaku debut normally gets some love from the committee.
  • Like 1

The answer to that is no. (snip)
possibly relevant, from last year

If Kotoyuki gets his KK, would he get a S-S for beating Kakuryu?

Possible kanto-sho, I'd guess, same as for Kaisei. Kachikoshi in a sanyaku debut normally gets some love from the committee.

(NO JINX INTENDED) Would really mean something if Kaisei got a KK and a K-S for his troubles.

I think Ichinojo has all the physical attributes to succeed, but not all of the mental attributes. He'll have a successful career, but it will be filled with visions of all the things that could have been.

I do think his ponderous style does mean he can't make sudden adjustments and he struggles to escape from difficult situations hoping to just hang on.

seconds before the world's first Goeido-Hakuho sandwich. That was hilarious to watch!

best dive of the year thus far

Ciz0F9IUkAIZ60N.jpg

• Like 4

I admit, I can't say I have been a fan or an anti-fan of Kaisei for quite a long time, but I can say he has developed and the sanyaku debut was not one of those occurrences which do happen once in a while because statistics, he's looking solid lately.

Kisenosato... slowly but steadily growing on me for the past two years or so. It would be nice if he won this one. His Ozeki tenure has been pretty consistent and he can definitely pull off a good basho. I will not yet say he is of Yokozuna calibre (I have to see if he has overcome whatever hurdle so often brought him down and hard, which I also personally believe to define the O/Y mark), but crowning his already solid career with a Yusho would be something I would like to see happening. If more is to come after that, by all means, yes.

And a late note I just thought about. Ichinojo... he has the size. He has the potential. He is an archetypical 'tank' rikishi to me, his size alone proves a great ally in terms of absorbing whatever is coming his way. If he finds a way to use it as a launching pad for counterattacking or otherwise exploiting his natural resources, he will be great. Otherwise... Kotonowaka v. 2.0?

Edited by Iginishiki2
  • Like 1

Ichinojo...so much of the time, he's completely passive. I think he has the potential for greatness, and certainly for a better win/loss ratio than he has now. But he's frustrating to cheer on.

• Like 1

I'm really pulling for Kisenosato to pull it off; I don't think he'll beat Hak but you never know...he's done it 13 times before

I'm also happy to see Kaisei doing well at komusubi......I was expecting something like 4-11 or 5-10 but going into the last 3 days he's in there with a real shot of sekiwake promotion. It also seems like Tochinoshin's chances of finally breaking through to sekiwake are decent.

The juryo yusho race has been very exciting and I'm looking forward to the last two days of it! Sumo is the best!!!!!

Edited by Katooshu

I think between Harumafuji and Kakuryu, even if Kisenosato wins tomorrow one of them will take him out. Harumafuji looks beastly these few edays.

Kise won all his bouts so far, okay.

He has had his 2nd best start into a basho after going 13-0 in Natsu 2013 (where he then lost his last two matches to - surprise! - Hakuho on Day 14 and Kotoshogiku on Day 15).

I am not so convinced by Kisenosato's immaculate 12-0 start, I didn't see yokozunaesque sumo, there were moments when he appeared to be not fully in charge as the experienced ozeki and with the exception of fellow Ozeki Kotoshogiku, he hasn't beaten anyone where he had a negative overall record - sure, there aren't many rikishi left where this is the case.

I am just not convinced that he himself is convinced to make that extra push that he needs to join the elite realms of Yokozunahood.

He surely needs to deliver that task tomorrow, once again all of Nippon will be watching - can he finally handle that tremendous pressurexpectation this time?

We will know in a few hours.

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 1

Is Terunofuji learning how to fight with his knee braces?

Wouldn't that be hansoku to fling around these things? ;-)

Ura reminds me of Satoyama. Both are too short and light to do well in Makuuchi division.

I know there's something of a correlation between size and success in Sumo, but there are notable exceptions - and I think Ura could be one of them.

I don't recall seeing anyone else quite so slippery and acrobatic. He'll be up and down for sure, but I reckon we'll see him in Sanyaku one day and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes one better than his idol Mainoumi and gets a KK there.

good to hear the old man is doing so well

without our spicy, wily veteran, the basho has been noticeably kinda bland

weathered warrior

• Like 1

Ura reminds me of Satoyama. Both are too short and light to do well in Makuuchi division.

I know there's something of a correlation between size and success in Sumo, but there are notable exceptions - and I think Ura could be one of them.

I don't recall seeing anyone else quite so slippery and acrobatic. He'll be up and down for sure, but I reckon we'll see him in Sanyaku one day and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes one better than his idol Mainoumi and gets a KK there.

wow wow wow, again!. first you guys introduce me to Chiyotaikai and now Mainoumi! These guys are crazy! I just went the DB and found this golden nugget:

Love it! I am very excited to see what Ura will show us :D

Edited by kosomo
  • Like 1

Endo seems to be in the best health he's been since his injury. It's a sight for sore eyes and it also reminds me that a healthy Endo is actually a quite good rikishi.

Takayasu can sometimes pull out really good throws like today, but he's not making full use of his skills cause he doesn't use them enough.

And Ichinojo... he just doesn't know how to use that big body for his advantage. He should watch more videos of Kitanoumi, and Akebono, and Musashimaru among others. Maybe that'll give him some better ideas...

Edited by dingo

People like to make fun of Goeido but you got to give him credit today. He took the same forearm smash that laid Ikioi out the other day and kept chugging. Without the slip this was a very good match against Hakuho.