Kaninoyama

Takagenji Caught Smoking Weed

Can't think of a current rikishi who I'd be less bothered about getting kicked out. Quite apart from his attitude and demeanor on the dohyo, he's had a paltry two tournaments in makuuchi and is now just treading water in juryo with mediocre performances. 

• Like 1

Like many people here, I've never been a big fan of Tokeganja in particular, and I don't consider it a major loss to the sport for him to leave.

But I still feel sad about this just because cannabis use being a criminal offense is just such a ridiculous law. It flies in the face of not just all the research, but of pure common sense as well, and it's shameful that people's careers are destroyed over it. Especially while people legally drink themselves silly every day and "I was drunk, I don't remember" is somehow an excuse for all kinds of mishap.

As someone who doesn't like smoking cannabis (despite being Dutch!?), I hope someday I can legally toke it up in the land of the getting-higher sun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Can't think of a current rikishi who I'd be less bothered about getting kicked out. Quite apart from his attitude and demeanor on the dohyo, he's had a paltry two tournaments in makuuchi and is now just treading water in juryo with mediocre performances. 

Chiyoshoma?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

Like many people here, I've never been a big fan of Tokeganja in particular, and I don't consider it a major loss to the sport for him to leave.

But I still feel sad about this just because cannabis use being a criminal offense is just such a ridiculous law. It flies in the face of not just all the research, but of pure common sense as well, and it's shameful that people's careers are destroyed over it. Especially while people legally drink themselves silly every day and "I was drunk, I don't remember" is somehow an excuse for all kinds of mishap.

As someone who doesn't like smoking cannabis (despite being Dutch!?), I hope someday I can legally toke it up in the land of the getting-higher sun.

I wonder if he is kicked out his lawyers might try to argue it's disproportionate considering the recent trend for suspensions (Ryuden, Abi, Asanoyama etc).

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Chiyoshoma?

Nah, he doesn't bother me as much. May henka a lot but doesn't show such blatant disrespect to his opponents. Plus wasn't Takagenji also involved in the mistreatment of tsukebito along with his brother? 

2 minutes ago, ryafuji said:
9 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

I wonder if he is kicked out his lawyers might try to argue it's disproportionate considering the recent trend for suspensions (Ryuden, Abi, Asanoyama etc).

I don't think that flies considering Tokeganja is already under a warning from the incident that got his brother retired.

And in all three cases, none of them actually violated laws, however ridiculous the law may be. He's under police investigations and will be the subject of an NSK one once the police investigations are over.

In a sense though, it's not that much different to the whole thing over Hakuho and "what he did was legal" vs "what he did was unfitting", except no laws were violated in that case, isn't it? We have different views on various subjects. Some things are more likely than others to get wider agreement, whereas some topics are just going to attract controversy. For better or for worse the Japanese - and for that matter some other jurisdictions - consider legalising any drug for recreational reasons a slippery slope. Yeah sure it's a victimless crime, but if you consider laws to be more than just protecting people and maintaining some sort of line about what you think your society should be then it's not ununderstandable.

P.S. "I was drunk, I don't remember" doesn't always fly as a legal defence. Self-administered intoxication, at least in some jurisdictions, is considered to be your problem - if you know you're prone to getting into trouble when drunk, then don't do it, and if you drink yourself stupid and do dumb things that's your responsibility.

21 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Chiyoshoma?

His name sounds like a strain of pot. 

1 hour ago, Koorifuu said:

Which is overcompensated with industrial plant levels of tobacco consumption...

Oh, is it only used as an excuse to kick problematic people out? Takagenji is safe then. (Laughing...)

You are misreading my post.

3 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Yes, CBD oil as a pain reliever [...]

Does this actually work? I thought the people who suggested this were blowing smoke up my arse..

Anyway, as Jakusotsu et al. said, I'm not sad to see him go, but it isn't because he smoked weed.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

His brother got canned for being too violent, now he's getting canned for being too mellow?

You can't please these people!

Edited by neonbelly
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, yorikiried by fate said:

You are misreading my post.

It was an apparently failed attempt at making a joke by ending with a punchline that was the complete opposite of what I really meant.

4 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Well, Roho and Hakurozan didn't really score highly (hahaha) in other departments, so it was a welcome excuse to kick them out. (Makuuchi lost a bit of color, though.) Also, don't forget Wakanoho. All furries, TBF.

Wakakirin as well, I think he's the only Japanese rikishi to be expelled for that reason(?). He got arrested and spent a month in police custody before being granted bail, then got handed a 10 month (suspended for 3 years) custodial sentence; not sure if the Japanese legal system's softened up much on the demon weed in the last decade, but i wouldn't want to be in Takagenji's shoes right now.

5 minutes ago, apraxin said:

I think he's the only Japanese rikishi to be expelled for that reason(?)

Yamamotoyama?

He got canned for being part of the Yaocho ring, I'm pretty sure.

8 hours ago, Swami said:

Just when the Kyokai were probably thinking the dust was settling on the whole Asanoyama debacle, and with Terunofuji set to be promoted to yokozuna, much of the Nagoya Basho was all positive.  And now this.

The worst thing for me is that I see no news about what Terunofuji is thinking about as his phrase of acceptance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The worst thing for me is that I see no news about what Terunofuji is thinking about as his phrase of acceptance

He needs it by tomorrow morning, isn't it?

Just now, Seiyashi said:

He needs it by tomorrow morning, isn't it?

Yeah, the Tuesday before is traditionally the day where the media speculate and ask the one to be promoted about the phrase, decided yet, training it etc.

Whatever happens, at least Takagenji can say he went out on a high.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

21 minutes ago, apraxin said:

He got canned for being part of the Yaocho ring, I'm pretty sure.

That's why I added the "?"...  I couldn't remember if it was for weed or yaocho..

Is he a former Takanohana Heya rikishi? If so, he will be the fouth (?) one of that heya who were expelled or forced to leave.

11 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

Is he a former Takanohana Heya rikishi? If so, he will be the fouth (?) one of that heya who were expelled or forced to leave.

Yes, he is.

His brother and Takanoiwa - who was the third?

10 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Yes, he is.

Takanohana???

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Asojima said:
12 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Yes, he is.

Takanohana???

Technically, Takanohana was never a rikishi of a heya called Takanohana-beya...

But I take the point. I was looking for another Takanohana deshi who'd been booted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryafuji said:

I think there have been several cases, including that of Wakanoho, where the "wrongful firing" lawsuit has at least scored a settlement or better severance pay for the wrestler. I suspect that's the real goal of such lawsuits, rather than restoration.

But Sokokurai is now a happy oyakata so anything is possible, though his restoration was based on a firm claim of innocence.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, apraxin said:

not sure if the Japanese legal system's softened up much on the demon weed in the last decade

It hasn't, at least when it comes to those in a position of public duty (singers, actors, sportspeople). More and more young Japanese people smoke it these days without any repercussions. The police are more interested in going for people with name value to make an example out of, like rappers who have based their entire appeal around the stuff

Makes me wonder exactly how it all went down... did he go for a walk to smoke his joint, then head straight back to the lodgings? Did he think the smell wouldn't still be all over him? What a rookie!

Edited by rokudenashi