Kaninoyama

Takagenji Caught Smoking Weed

32 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Technically, Takanohana was never a rikishi of a heya called Takanohana-beya...

But I take the point. I was looking for another Takanohana deshi who'd been booted.

Takanohana himself was a super-rikishi, and also a good master in recruiting and training rikishi. Now three out of four of his former sekitories were /(will be) expelled and he himself had have to leave NSK. Something was wrong. 

Posted (edited)

He was smoking it while walking outside? Crazy.

There's a lot of smells in the early morning after a nutty Friday night in the entertainment district but I've never once smelled weed. Maybe I go to the wrong places...

It just occurred to me that if he admits smoking it in a crowded room its gonna implicate a lot of people.

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin

I'm off to the limericks page to see what some of our lyrical geniuses come up with.

1 hour ago, Dapeng said:

Takanohana himself was a super-rikishi, and also a good master in recruiting and training rikishi. Now three out of four of his former sekitories were /(will be) expelled and he himself had have to leave NSK. Something was wrong.

Just wait until the dirty truth about Takakeisho emerges...

Gentle reminder that this isn't even Takanohana's first set of problematic twins...

Cue to 7 years or so ago... The following lads were given the choppy chop and I seem to recall it was due to their involvement with the yakuza being too serious. This and that.

1 hour ago, Koorifuu said:

Gentle reminder that this isn't even Takanohana's first set of problematic twins...

Cue to 7 years or so ago... The following lads were given the choppy chop and I seem to recall it was due to their involvement with the yakuza being too serious. This and that.

Background to the Takatoshi affair here.

I'm also amazed. I've only smelled weed in Japan once, in Ueno. I just kept on walking. Just so that folks know, if a foreigner is caught in Japan with cannabis, the government puts you on a plane and will not issue you a tourist visa again, ever.

Save that for the Netherlands and Colorado.

16 minutes ago, ryafuji said:
1 hour ago, Koorifuu said:

Background to the Takatoshi affair here.

Sounds like a really rough environment to be in and bad apples and worms, but no mention of the yakuza?

8 hours ago, Atenzan said:

Does this actually work? I thought the people who suggested this were blowing smoke up my arse..

Anyway, as Jakusotsu et al. said, I'm not sad to see him go, but it isn't because he smoked weed.

I have no experience with it but it's a huge thing now, endorsed by many athletes, including Takakeisho if I'm not mistaken. As I understand it, cannabis has pain-relieving properties, and the oil extracts that and other benefits but without the high. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rokudenashi said:

It hasn't, at least when it comes to those in a position of public duty (singers, actors, sportspeople). More and more young Japanese people smoke it these days without any repercussions. The police are more interested in going for people with name value to make an example out of, like rappers who have based their entire appeal around the stuff

Makes me wonder exactly how it all went down... did he go for a walk to smoke his joint, then head straight back to the lodgings? Did he think the smell wouldn't still be all over him? What a rookie!

I'm equally curious how he went about procuring it in Nagoya. It isn't as though there's someone selling it on every street corner here. 

Araiso-oyakata did an advert for some CBD product produced by Meiji I think too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

I'm equally curious how he went about procuring it in Nagoya. It isn't as though there's someone selling it on every street corner here. 

It's about who you know... and as a sekitori with a twin brother who's trained by Enson Inoue (got busted for weed possession in Japan in 2008) there's gonna be someone in most cities willing to sort him out

Edited by rokudenashi
  • Like 2

I would seriously demand mercy for Takagenji. Maybe 3 or 6 tournament suspension would be good punishment for him.

Full expulsion would be pure cruelty towards a wrestler who is acting as true sumo wrestler.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, yohcun said:

Seeya, kid. Your career was nothing to sneeze at, but to me you're always going to be that guy Terutsuyoshi threw over his shoulder.

Wow! The stare from one and the (barely corrected) lack of a bow from the other are something as well.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, rokudenashi said:

It's about who you know... and as a sekitori with a twin brother who's trained by Enson Inoue (got busted for weed possession in Japan in 2008) there's gonna someone in most cities willing to sort him out

True. I have a friend who worked with Enson along with Kid Yamamoto (RIP) at a gym Enson ran, and he shared some stories that would make a good book. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Just wait until the dirty truth about Takakeisho emerges...

What? Hi spherical shape is the result of massive weed-induced munchies?

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The worst thing for me is that I see no news about what Terunofuji is thinking about as his phrase of acceptance

Hopefully not “Irie, mon. Jah bless!”

11 hours ago, dada78641 said:

Like many people here, I've never been a big fan of Tokeganja in particular, and I don't consider it a major loss to the sport for him to leave.

But I still feel sad about this just because cannabis use being a criminal offense is just such a ridiculous law. It flies in the face of not just all the research, but of pure common sense as well, and it's shameful that people's careers are destroyed over it. Especially while people legally drink themselves silly every day and "I was drunk, I don't remember" is somehow an excuse for all kinds of mishap.

As someone who doesn't like smoking cannabis (despite being Dutch!?), I hope someday I can legally toke it up in the land of the getting-higher sun.

Well said!

4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

I have no experience with it but it's a huge thing now, endorsed by many athletes, including Takakeisho if I'm not mistaken. As I understand it, cannabis has pain-relieving properties, and the oil extracts that and other benefits but without the high. 

I think it's Kisenosato/Araiso who has the CBD sponsor.

Just saw Chris Gould's take on this incident, and it's clear he's defending Takagenji and labeling this as a vendetta against Takanohana students.

You would think he as a resident in Japan knows that MJ possession and usage carries heavy penalties. 

• Like 1

Chris mentions the heavy penalties...

His point - that Takagenji has been singled out when cannabis use among rikishi is evidently quite widespread - may have some validity.

However, if it is the case that former Takanohana-beya rikishi are under the spotlight, Takagenji must be aware of it - and that makes him come across as even more stupid for breaking the 11th.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

However, if it is the case that former Takanohana-beya rikishi are under the spotlight, Takagenji must be aware of it - and that makes him come across as even more stupid for breaking the 11th.

Triply stupid that he's under warning from the incident that got his brother kicked out. Even if he doesn't know someone's out to get Takanohana-beya rikishi (which admittedly sounds a bit lunatic), he really ought to be on his best behaviour.

• Like 2