Kaninoyama

Takagenji Caught Smoking Weed

3 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

It was nice of the Kyokai to drop the warning tests might be coming. Weed stays in the body for a few weeks...I wouldn't be surprised if the kyokai "considers" tests for a few weeks and administers them about a month after that statement was made...

Indeed, certainly looks that way. I probably haven't a clue, but I don't think weed is very common in Japan but it's a bit ambiguous as to exactly what drugs they might be looking for. That covers a lot of ground.

This is just conjecture… but is there any history or reason to believe that any other wrestlers would have something show up on a drag test? I have never heard anything about drugs like this since Wakakirin, but maybe I am just uninformed!

Maybe the powers that be threw Takagenji under the bus to tell the others to clean up their act…

I see a problem, because - AFAIK - most legal CBD products contain at least low doses of THC.

9 hours ago, Benihana said:

I see a problem, because - AFAIK - most legal CBD products contain at least low doses of THC.

Low doses are fine for most testing purposes, since to be "positive" in most circumstances means above a certain level, like how in most places it isn't technically illegal to drink and drive. It's illegal to drink enough to have a BAC over a certain level and drive. Depends how much they use, but I assume for their size they would have to use an unrealistic quantity of a reputable CBD product to get their urine concentration high enough, but I think a reasonable person can see all the various problems with that statement.

8 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Depends how much they use, but I assume for their size they would have to use an unrealistic quantity of a reputable CBD product to get their urine concentration high enough, but I think a reasonable person can see all the various problems with that statement.

"Hakuho worked me over so hard the other day I needed to bathe in the oil that Araiso advertises to get the edge off!"

Think that'll wash?

12 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

"Hakuho worked me over so hard the other day I needed to bathe in the oil that Araiso advertises to get the edge off!"

Think that'll wash?

Nope.

18 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Low doses are fine for most testing purposes, since to be "positive" in most circumstances means above a certain level, like how in most places it isn't technically illegal to drink and drive. It's illegal to drink enough to have a BAC over a certain level and drive. Depends how much they use, but I assume for their size they would have to use an unrealistic quantity of a reputable CBD product to get their urine concentration high enough, but I think a reasonable person can see all the various problems with that statement.

I don't know how it works in Japan, but in Germany you're probably effed. The limits are so low and measured in such a way, depending on your usage, you could be sober for a couple days and still break the specified limits. They don't only look for active THC, but also for the degradation products. But they let you drink "soft" alcohol, like beer and wine und parental supervision from 14 years on (which i think is an outstandingly intelligent move).

They could go hard on it and say any is too much. The wiggle room we have in most tests here in the States are because there are a lot of "innocent" reasons you could come into contact with it, but any of those won't get you a concentration high enough to fail a test. I don't think Japan has as many "innocent" reasons to come into contact with it. People don't smoke it in public like they do here, it doesn't grow as widely, etc.

34 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

They could go hard on it and say any is too much. The wiggle room we have in most tests here in the States are because there are a lot of "innocent" reasons you could come into contact with it, but any of those won't get you a concentration high enough to fail a test. I don't think Japan has as many "innocent" reasons to come into contact with it. People don't smoke it in public like they do here, it doesn't grow as widely, etc.

The big one is poppy seed bagels, isn't it? That doesn't sound like a popular food in Japan, either.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

The big one is poppy seed bagels, isn't it? That doesn't sound like a popular food in Japan, either.

Yeah...they are indistinguishable from opiates in urine tests, and depending where you're testing they can be a problem. They tell government employees here not to eat them at all.

Edited by Churaumi

On 02/08/2021 at 18:32, Yaochozuna said:

This sounds so surreal here in Central Europe :-)

Does it? I've been not selected for the national team in my sport despite being rankings number one on the sole rumour of smoking cannabis. I only got into it after some intense talk and a negative drug test. And this is from a country where cannabis is very popular and widely accepted outside of sports. It doesn't surprise me the reactions are as harsh in a country where it is accepted that much less.

@Hakumadashi No, no, I was reacting to Churaumi's post about poppy seed. Makové buchty is THE typical grandma pastry in Czechia and you can see poppy seed food everywhere. Noodles, dumplings, pastry, even ice cream (not really tasty, if you ask me). Do people eat Mohnstrudel in your part of Germany? About weed I don't know. There is some level of unofficial tolerance here but and you can sometimes smell it somewhere but with sportsmen & Co. in might be more serious. But I don't know for sure as it has never really interested me.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, we eat poppy seed stuff too. Have been to Czechia a few times and can confirm you do it more.

6 hours ago, Yaochozuna said:

@Hakumadashi No, no, I was reacting to Churaumi's post about poppy seed. Makové buchty is THE typical grandma pastry in Czechia and you can see poppy seed food everywhere. Noodles, dumplings, pastry, even ice cream (not really tasty, if you ask me). Do people eat Mohnstrudel in your part of Germany? About weed I don't know. There is some level of unofficial tolerance here but and you can sometimes smell it somewhere but with sportsmen & Co. in might be more serious. But I don't know for sure as it has never really interested me.

I assume they are so strict about it here because of the opiate crisis. Otherwise it makes no sense to be able to have trace amounts of cocaine or marijuana in the blood or urine be fine but the nearly undetectable amount from a tasty bagel be a big enough deal to fire someone over.

40 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

I assume they are so strict about it here because of the opiate crisis. Otherwise it makes no sense to be able to have trace amounts of cocaine or marijuana in the blood or urine be fine but the nearly undetectable amount from a tasty bagel be a big enough deal to fire someone over.

'murica!

As I said, surreal.  Over here it's among the most normal things you can have for breakfast.

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

'murica!

Murkuh.

Apparently, because the poppy seed used in poppy seed bagels is from the same plant that produces heroin, codein, etc., these plants are illegal to grow in the US (sort of); all poppies used as bagel condiments are imported.  Recently there has been a push to regulate this trade more carefully, as contamination with other parts of the plants have led to high doses of (morphine) in some batches.  Poppy seeds have trace amounts of the disallowed chemicals, but poppy seed bagels rarely trigger drug test monitors, unless you are pigging out on them.

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/137775/poppy-seed-trade/

Have you EVEN TRIED a poppy seed bagel?? There is no such thing as 'trace amounts' once you start. It's all or nothing. No survivors. A bakers dozen down. 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2021 at 07:07, mt fuji said:

This is just conjecture… but is there any history or reason to believe that any other wrestlers would have something show up on a drag test?

Wow, that would be cool. Like Kokonoe Oyakata?

chiyosailor.jpg

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

Have you EVEN TRIED a poppy seed bagel?? There is no such thing as 'trace amounts' once you start. It's all or nothing. No survivors. A bakers dozen down. 

I found some numbers:

Poppy seed bagel = 250 mg poppy seeds

Drug test limit = 2000 mg

So, if you test positive, you're clearly addicted to something (maybe bagels).

3 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

chiyosailor.jpg

Well, I guess the "dry heave" emoji hereby goes at the end of the New Emoji Request List.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

chiyosailor.jpg

Wow, chiyonoaoihime 

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin

On 30/07/2021 at 18:46, Kintamayama said:

"We intend to have a clinic regarding the illegal use of drugs and also, we are contemplating testing for drugs for all rikishi, " said someone at the rijikai.

They said the same thing back in 2008, after the Roho-Hakurozan incident. It is comforting to know that they are so quick to deal with problems.