Kaninoyama

Takagenji Caught Smoking Weed

Posted (edited)

Happened during the Nagoya basho.

His marijuana use came to light as a rumor on the 17th. 

After his bout on the final day he was called in by Ogurama Oyakata, head of NSK compliance, where he initially said he took CBD oil that contained cannabis. He then underwent a physical exam, which detected cannabis in his system, upon which he admitted smoking a marijuana cigarette on the road near his Nagoya basho lodging. 

The matter has been reported to the police and he's been allowed to go home for the time being. 

I imagine he'll be joining his brother in MMA soon. 

Source

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Happened during the Nagoya basho. I imagine he'll be joining his brother in MMA soon. 

Source

In the worse case scenario that he is kicked out, probably won't happen until after the banzuke committee meets, which means someone will miss out on a lucky promotion

Just when the Kyokai were probably thinking the dust was settling on the whole Asanoyama debacle, and with Terunofuji set to be promoted to yokozuna, much of the Nagoya Basho was all positive.  And now this.

Swami

Posted (edited)

Maybe Enho grassed him up and that's why Takagenji smashed his face in during the basho.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Haha 2

Would be quite ironic if he eventually gets the boot for the one of his many transgressions which offends me the least. (Sigh...)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

YESSSSSSSS

Pity to see him go? Not really. No loss to ozumo, and I imagine quite a few people in sumo must be feeling schadenfreude right now.

Poor Tokiwayama though. That's a pay cut incoming for sure.

50 minutes ago, Swami said:

Just when the Kyokai were probably thinking the dust was settling on the whole Asanoyama debacle, and with Terunofuji set to be promoted to yokozuna, much of the Nagoya Basho was all positive.  And now this.

Swami

A couple of hundred young men. What could go wrong?

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Maybe Enho grassed him up and that's why Takagenji smashed his face in during the basho.

You must be a Brit to use that expression.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, since_94 said:

You must be a Brit to use that expression.

Yep. My shikona is a clue. :-) 'Eikokurai' just means 'from Great Britain' (or literally 'from the heroic nation'), taken from an archaic name for GB: 'Eikoku'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Yep. My shikona is a clue. :-) 'Eikokurai' just means 'from Great Britain' (or literally 'from the heroic nation'), taken from an archaic name for GB: 'Eikoku'.

Well met. So long as you’re not a grass…

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

... he admitted smoking a marijuana cigarette on the road near his Nagoya basho lodging. 

He was doing it in public?

Do we know if he tried to disguise himself by wearing a hoodie?

I don't see weed smoking as a real crime, but I've no sympathy for dumb buggers who break the 11th Commandment.

Interesting that as for Asanoyama he tried to lie his way out of it at first. Not sure it would’ve made a difference if he had confessed all, given the zero tolerance approach to all drugs in Japan (except alcohol of course!). 

3 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

he initially said he took CBD oil that contained cannabis.

"Because of my stage fright.." he explained.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Sounds legit. Helps 50% of smokers with stage fright. Gives the other 50% stage fright.

Edited by since_94
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jemuzu said:

Interesting that as for Asanoyama he tried to lie his way out of it at first. Not sure it would’ve made a difference if he had confessed all, given the zero tolerance approach to all drugs in Japan (except alcohol of course!). 

It's probably human instinct to want to lie your way out of trouble.

That said, given that he's already got a prior warning over the same incident that got his brother kicked out of sumo, he's all but certain to be forced to retire.

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Upon hearing the news, Don Hakuhone exclaimed, "Damn! Why didn't I think of that!" 

6 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:
3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Upon hearing the news, Don Hakuhone exclaimed, "Damn! Why didn't I think of that!" 

The grass was on the 17th, so if anything Enho grassed on Takagenji in retaliation.

It's more likely to be a tsukebito though, especially if he hasn't changed his ways much and it's still relative hell to be his manservant.

22 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

The grass was on the 17th, so if anything Enho grassed on Takagenji in retaliation.

It's more likely to be a tsukebito though, especially if he hasn't changed his ways much and it's still relative hell to be his manservant.

Whatever it is, the result is clear.

His career is up in smoke. 

Sorry, I will see myself out. (Laughing...)

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

He was doing it in public?

Do we know if he tried to disguise himself by wearing a hoodie?

I don't see weed smoking as a real crime, but I've no sympathy for dumb buggers who break the 11th Commandment.

Smoking weed in Japan is a bit more serious than it is in the U.S. I do remember a couple Russian rikishi were caught smoking weed a few years ago and were expelled from sumo, so I can't imagine a lesser punishment for Mr. Genji. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes, CBD oil as a pain reliever, and then cannabis-laced gummies for the stage fright. 

11 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Smoking weed in Japan is a bit more serious than it is in the U.S. I do remember a couple Russian rikishi were caught smoking weed a few years ago and were expelled from sumo, so I can't imagine a lesser punishment for Mr. Genji. 

Well, Roho and Hakurozan didn't really score highly (hahaha) in other departments, so it was a welcome excuse to kick them out. (Makuuchi lost a bit of color, though.) Also, don't forget Wakanoho. All furries, TBF.

• Haha 1

for the record, I think more than a few rikishi partake in a  "token of appreciation" once in a while. Takagenji has a short fuse as it is. Watch him run to Takatouriki's YouTUbe channel and tell all as soon as he is kicked out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jemuzu said:

Which is overcompensated with industrial plant levels of tobacco consumption...

1 hour ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Well, Roho and Hakurozan didn't really score highly (hahaha) in other departments, so it was a welcome excuse to kick them out. (Makuuchi lost a bit of color, though.) Also, don't forget Wakanoho. All furries, TBF.

Oh, is it only used as an excuse to kick problematic people out? Takagenji is safe then. (Laughing...)

Edited by Koorifuu