Kaninoyama

Takagenji Caught Smoking Weed

55 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Triply stupid that he's under warning from the incident that got his brother kicked out. Even if he doesn't know someone's out to get Takanohana-beya rikishi (which admittedly sounds a bit lunatic), he really ought to be on his best behaviour.

I think he doesn't honestly care, and was probably searching for his own ungraceful exit from the sport. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/07/2021 at 14:04, Seiyashi said:

P.S. "I was drunk, I don't remember" doesn't always fly as a legal defence. Self-administered intoxication, at least in some jurisdictions, is considered to be your problem - if you know you're prone to getting into trouble when drunk, then don't do it, and if you drink yourself stupid and do dumb things that's your responsibility.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's a legal defense. Just that this is an excuse people use with a straight face to avoid social repercussions. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It goes to show alcohol use is fully accepted despite obviously being a factor in misbehavior sometimes. I'm not necessarily saying that's wrong, just that there's an obvious hypocrisy.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2021 at 10:14, rokudenashi said:

Makes me wonder exactly how it all went down... did he go for a walk to smoke his joint, then head straight back to the lodgings? Did he think the smell wouldn't still be all over him? What a rookie!

Yes, the story of walking around smoking a joint is preposterous. No Japanese person would do that, I don't think, not even a clueless foreigner would do that. Someone else has mentioned an alternate telling where there was a room with other people, much more probable. People who now wish dearly that they had not been there, I suspect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Yes, the story of walking around smoking a joint is preposterous. No Japanese person would do that, I don't think, not even a clueless foreigner would do that. Someone else has mentioned an alternate telling where there was a room with other people, much more probable. People who now wish dearly that they had not been there, I suspect.

Yeah, it would take about 5 seconds for a concerned citizen to run over to the koban and rat you out. Maybe unless you're in rural Sapporo.

That said, I have actually witnessed exactly this once, so crazy people do exist, but that's certainly not the case here.

44 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

Yeah, it would take about 5 seconds for a concerned citizen to run over to the koban and rat you out. Maybe unless you're in rural Sapporo.

That said, I have actually witnessed exactly this once, so crazy people do exist, but that's certainly not the case here.

Maybe it's possible that if you're in a sparse area like a park, with not many people about, there mightn't be people who actually recognise the scent of pot and just think you're smoking an extra pungent cigarette?

After all, it is supposed to be an illegal substance...

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Maybe it's possible that if you're in a sparse area like a park, with not many people about, there mightn't be people who actually recognise the scent of pot and just think you're smoking an extra pungent cigarette?

After all, it is supposed to be an illegal substance...

The police are pretty out and about in public plazas/parks in Nagoya. I've seen them rounding up under age drinkers before.

And what dada is talking about, people will always be watching you to make sure you are doing things 'right'. Like I would put my trash out at the trash area and 10 minutes later someone (usually a grandma) from a nearby unit would go out there and check in my bags to make sure I was sorting properly, and would complain to someone if I didn't. You can watch the movie danchi, a lot of humor there is based off this kind of thing. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4877264/ but its not a super interesting movie.

I'm not saying 100% that someone would notice Takagenji smoking pot and report it, but the risk would be so high it would be idiotic to do it.

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin
  • Like 1

Tokiwayamabeya might be having a trip to the bathroom soon...

42 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

The police are pretty out and about in public plazas/parks in Nagoya. I've seen them rounding up under age drinkers before.

And what dada is talking about, people will always be watching you to make sure you are doing things 'right'. Like I would put my trash out at the trash area and 10 minutes later someone (usually a grandma) from a nearby unit would go out there and check in my bags to make sure I was sorting properly, and would complain to someone if I didn't. You can watch the movie danchi, a lot of humor there is based off this kind of thing. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4877264/ but its not a super interesting movie.

I'm not saying 100% that someone would notice Takagenji smoking pot and report it, but the risk would be so high it would be idiotic to do it.

That's a great story and a perfect example. I hope you took that obachan a little gift, to make her feel guilty. And, then checked her recycling to make sure she had it all just right. I haven't lived in Japan (and, I'm jealous), but it may have been I who called that part of the story preposterous. Simply unbelievable.

Takaganja is Japanese, and he knows the score in his own country, but It seems a shame that folks should get into trouble over some dried flowers, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

no pun intended ;-)

The irritating thing now is that, if he's going to go anyway, and if he isn't retired within the next two weeks (and even if he is), he's blocking a spot for a makushita -> juryo promotion, which will most likely go to Chiyoarashi if it were made available. I don't know if there's precedent for a promotion to be announced separately because of a late intai?

13 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

The irritating thing now is that, if he's going to go anyway, and if he isn't retired within the next two weeks (and even if he is), he's blocking a spot for a makushita -> juryo promotion, which will most likely go to Chiyoarashi if it were made available. I don't know if there's precedent for a promotion to be announced separately because of a late intai?

This would be a 2 month delay in Chiyo's 14 year career.  If he is ready, his elevator will rise in Kyushu.

Whenever I have sympathetic thoughts of "oh c'mon it's just pot" I remember it's really, really easy to not smoke pot.

Literally anyone can do it. It's also totally legal to not undertake a career which comes with special prohibitions. Literally anyone can do that, too.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

You're two days late

34 minutes ago, neonbelly said:

Whenever I have sympathetic thoughts of "oh c'mon it's just pot" I remember it's really, really easy to not smoke pot.

Literally anyone can do it. It's also totally legal to not undertake a career which comes with special prohibitions. Literally anyone can do that, too.

I agree, I don't have problems with pot, but any rikishi should know it's an extremely stupid thing for someone in their position to do, especially publically when they are a sekitori. All he had to do was not light up.....

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Katooshu said:

All he had to do was not light up.....

Is "I didn't inhale" a defense in Japan?

1 hour ago, Genjurooo said:

damn, this was one of the rikishi I liked...

I love the diversity and inclusivity of this forum.

25 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

what do you have against him?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Genjurooo said:
39 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Same things we all have. He's a big arrogant bully with a completely unjustified sense of entitlement. The key word here is "unjustified": we can forgive a wrestler for having bad attitude if he's got the skills to back it up. When Takagenji lost a match he always looked like he was thinking "WTF, I'm the Next Big Thing, you're supposed to lose to me."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Same things we all have. He's a big arrogant bully with a completely unjustified sense of entitlement. The key word here is "unjustified": we can forgive a wrestler for having bad attitude if he's got the skills to back it up. When Takagenji lost a match he always looked like he was thinking "WTF, I'm the Next Big Thing, you're supposed to lose to me."

who did he bully? enho? 

1 minute ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

His own tsukebito

i didn't know about that. 

he also tried to give the flu to a bunch of old people at kyushu jungyo.

didn't the NSK made him participate?

26 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

His own tsukebito and he also tried to give the flu to a bunch of old people at kyushu jungyo.

That last was arguably a systemic/bureaucratic cock-up rather than his actual fault, but it doesn't detract from him and his brother both being brats.

You should have seen his social media back when rikishi were permitted social media. They were one rant short of being xenophobic.

At least when Hakuho gives harite like that he's got 45 yusho. I'm not saying being successful entitles you to do stupid things - big shots shouldn't be allowed to get away with things like that even if they're big shots. But it's doubly daft if you're nobody and you're expecting to be given a pass on such behaviour, as if you were a big shot and that somehow made your assholery all dandy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genjurooo said:

Absolutely nothing. I've never been a fan of his, so I've got nothing invested. I'm pretty much indifferent to his fate. 

That's not to say I'm unaware of his general unpopularity here on the forum, though.