robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

Well, that was against an ozeki and zabuton flew, so ...

Bloody hell. Asanoyama might actually win* the yusho.

*But with a permanent asterisk beside it explaining the Tochinoshin robbery.

Posted (edited)

Monoii wasn't even needed.  It was a clear win for Tochi.   If this costs Tochi his Ozeki rank, and Asanoyma goes on to win the basho, this day will go down as one of the worst in recent ozumo history.   Now, with Kak's loss, Asanoyama's yusho is looking like real.  

Edited by robnplunder

10 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Don't tell me you aren't aware of the video booth.

His point was not about the video booth itself. ;-)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If I owned one of those fancy tin-foil hats, it might tell me there's a need to produce a Japanese recipient for the Trump Cup at all costs.

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, robnplunder said:

Monoii wasn't even needed.  It was a clear win for Tochi.   If this costs Tochi is Ozeki rank, and Asanoyma goes on to win the basho, this day will go down as one of the worst in recent ozumo history.   Now, with Kak's loss, Asanoyama's yusho is looking like real.  

It would actually be kind of sad, because I doubt any of us would begrudge Asanoyama the yusho. Who doesn't love a hiramaku win? But his win, if it happens, would always be tainted by the result of that 13th bout. He doesn't deserve to have his whole championship called into question, but it will be. Heck, it already is as we're discussing it here.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Monoii wasn't even needed.  It was a clear win for Tochi.   If this costs Tochi his Ozeki rank, and Asanoyma goes on to win the basho, this day will go down as one of the worst in recent ozumo history.   Now, with Kak's loss, Asanoyama's yusho is looking like real.  

And of all that goes down on the final day, with Trump in  attendance to award the "Trump Trophy," somehow it may be a fitting end to what has suddenly developed into a crap show of a basho.

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if Trump, as he hands Asanoyama the trophy, will say "Your win in the 13th bout was fake news".

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

daylight robbery. skandalous.
Tochinoshin shud alert the Hague human rights court.
cannot imagine how angry he must be now.
look at the video how happy he was after the win.
hope he stays calm, doesnt break any kyokai doors this eve
and blows away Kakuryu tomorrow.

NSK wants a Japanese yusho at the beginning of Reiwa
so they support Asanoyama whatever it takes
a very bad decision for sumo
a sad day for fair sportsmanship

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The script is clear.

On Day 14, Asanoyama loses to Goeido, and Tochinoshin beats Kakuryu to get his Ozeki rank.

On Day 15, Tochinoshin's opponent (Takayasu?) looks directly at Onomatsu and steps out deliberately, and Kakuryu beats Asanoyama.

Result: 3-way playoff at 11-4.  After 12 bouts nobody has won two in a row and the VIPs are so far behind schedule they have to leave.

Everyone rejoices.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Tochinoshin is aready plotting to toss tomorrow's opponent on the face of whichever shimpan it was sitting that side of the ring.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

And of all that goes down on the final day, with Trump in  attendance to award the "Trump Trophy," somehow it may be a fitting end to what has suddenly developed into a crap show of a basho.

The bad basho due to gyoji & shimpans were in the works for a while.   Remember, Daieisho didn't even get a monoii call when it was clear that Okinoumi lost.   I still remember Okinoumi's look of "I can't believe I won."   Daiesho is MK now but the timely monoii call and win against Okinoumi could have gotten him KK.   

Posted (edited)

Jeeeez...a lot of calls are close but that was just awful. Feels rotten and I may even put on a tinfoil hat for once..

Edited by Katooshu

What a day!..if it wasn't so early in the uk, I'd pour myself a large one :'-(

If Ichiyamamoto doesn't feature in the kanto seishin rikishi then I'm finding a pub come dinner time...

• Like 1

That picture, as they say in the NFL, is inconclusive.  There is another angle from directly behind that is even better in showing that his heel was not far enough down.  

The decision heard round the world has Japanese Twitter in an uproar as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

tochi.png

There's a shadow visible underneath the foot. It never touched.

Posted (edited)

Edited by Kintamayama

46 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:

The script is clear.

On Day 14, Asanoyama loses to Goeido, and Tochinoshin beats Kakuryu to get his Ozeki rank.

On Day 15, Tochinoshin's opponent (Takayasu?) looks directly at Onomatsu and steps out deliberately, and Kakuryu beats Asanoyama.

Result: 3-way playoff at 11-4.  After 12 bouts nobody has won two in a row and the VIPs are so far behind schedule they have to leave.

Everyone rejoices.

I reckon both Tochinoshin and Takayasu will step out deliberately at exactly the same time in order to force one of Onomatsu's legendary 'explanations'. ;)

Tochinoshin was probably robbed there. Not the first bad decision, and not the last. There is no need to read anything (Japanese bias) into it. This basho has reinforced once again how poor the judging CAN be, although it is generally fine.

I hope Tochinoshin returns to the rank he belongs at on his own terms. If he truly is an ozeki, he will prove it tomorrow or on Sunday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1