Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Question for those of you who've been following sumo for more years than I.  Right up until the 6th bout of Day 14's broadcast, the torikumi matchups for Day 15 were not being announced (i.e., hadn't been made official).  Does this happen with any frequency?  I can't say that I have noticed this in the past, and the NHK commentators saw fit to remark on the fact that the matchups were not as yet released.  I wonder what decisions were holding things up? 

16 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Question for those of you who've been following sumo for more years than I.  Right up until the 6th bout of Day 14's broadcast, the torikumi matchups for Day 15 were not being announced (i.e., hadn't been made official).  Does this happen with any frequency?  I can't say that I have noticed this in the past, and the NHK commentators saw fit to remark on the fact that the matchups were not as yet released.  I wonder what decisions were holding things up? 

This happens every basho for the day 15 torikumi - to allow for as many meaningful torikumi as possible, in which rikishi don't tend to go easy to help the kachi-koshi of others - but the exact time of publishing them might differ from basho to basho

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

And with that Hakuho continues his run of winning at least one yusho a year since he first started winning them. While I’m personally a little weary of seeing him lift the trophy, I certainly can’t help but respect everything he has achieved. I was there when he won the first of the back-to-back championships that led to his Yokozuna promotion and my time following sumo has been all his. 

So glad to see Tochinoshin secure his rank. He had been performing like a Yokozuna until recently and the possibility of him going down as the shortest-reigning Ozeki in history was not something I’ve enjoyed thinking about. I only hope he can get over whatever has been bothering him injury-wise and return to form.

Also great to see Yoshikaze get double digits after his dreadful showing last time around. I still think he should start preparing for retirement though. 

I was surprised to see Nishikigi turn up today. After securing his KK I half-expected him to sit out and rest his elbow. He looked to be in a lot of pain yesterday. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Isao said:

Before Mitakeumi's match, NHK commentator said that ozeki run was over for him.

A little query for the worst case scenario if Mitakeumi loses tomorrow and finishes 8-7 this time.

A three basho run, with a middle 8-7 result, resulting in an ozeki promotion.
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=4&n_basho=4&form1_rank=m-s&form2_rank=m-s&form2_wins=8&form3_rank=m-s&form4_rank=o

a detail from the recent past

1697160874_Screenshot_2018-09-22Queryresult.png.8c9c4049095cf590b963a58e3a811590.png

1769969634_Screenshot_2018-09-22Queryresult(1).png.58815fc75328569d5525f44861ce31ea.png

According to this, one would expect Goeido becoming Yokozuna once... (Blinking...)

Edited by Tsubame
  • Thanks 1

Congrats for Tochinoshin getting over the line today, though that was a weird time and situation for Abi to attempt a kubinage.

Though Hakuho's conduct might sometimes be questionable, you can't help but admire the way he just keeps on winning. 41 Yusho and 1000 Makuuchi wins, wow!

Mitakeumi! *huge sigh of relief*

Tochinoshin! *huge sigh of relief*

Kisenosato! *huge sigh of relief*

Today's matches were as good as a massage for my stress levels. Magical.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tsubame said:

According to this, one would expect Goeido becoming Yokozuna once... (Blinking...)

and the only ozeki who scored a 15-0 and not made it to yokozuna was Wakashimazu, who retired soon after due to injury

2 hours ago, Tsubame said:

A little query for the worst case scenario if Mitakeumi loses tomorrow and finishes 8-7 this time.

A three basho run, with a middle 8-7 result, resulting in an ozeki promotion.
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=4&n_basho=4&form1_rank=m-s&form2_rank=m-s&form2_wins=8&form3_rank=m-s&form4_rank=o

a detail from the recent past

1697160874_Screenshot_2018-09-22Queryresult.png.8c9c4049095cf590b963a58e3a811590.png

1769969634_Screenshot_2018-09-22Queryresult(1).png.58815fc75328569d5525f44861ce31ea.png

It’s only one basho so perhaps one ought not to judge too harshly, but this tournament, with its full complement of Yokozuna and Ozeki, may have shown us Mitakeumi’s true level (at present) and it isn’t Ozeki level (yet). His 13-2Y in July was come by somewhat fortuitously. I feel that to make Ozeki after posting 8-7 or even 9-6 this time, he will need to not only get 12-3 or 13-2+ in November, but he will need to do it in a fully competitive field. If it’s another Y/O-light basho, I think that will count against him whatever numbers he puts up. His aki numbers have given the kyokai just enough justification not to promote him if he doesn’t have to face the big guns. Just my tuppence worth. Who really knows how their minds work?

Edited by Eikokurai

This basho has been amazing I am so sad to see it end tomorow.

Hakuhou's 41 yusho, 1000th makuuchi win enough is said, he might even get another zenshou with a win tomorow. He was not even sure to enter and didn't train much. There are certain things I dislike about him but he is the GOAT no doubt.

Kisenosato incredible, this guy is incredible. Got injured badly came back to get his second yusho, and now he managed to get 10 wins (11 if he wins tomorow) for his come back with his back against the wall. Not always great sumo but he fought with all his heart and that his Yokozuna's sumo too ! 

Tochinoshin saved his rank, Kakuryu crumbled in the end. Good basho from Goeido and Takayasu.

Mitakeumi is close but not there yet, he still have a bit of hope. He needs to improve a bit more and a bit of luck too. maybe next year ?

Ichinojo is settling in sanyaku with Mitakeumi. Takakeisho had a very good basho, this kid is amazing, all the top guys back and he is kk at K1

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1

Was a fun and entertaining basho, still drama for tomorrow as a few go for KK. Congrats to Hakahou a privalidge to see the GOAT, he still has it. Toyonoshima back in Juryo with authority and URa 6-1 moving up. Takakeisho with KK at komosubi nice job. Kise didn't embarrass himself and should be back. 

1 hour ago, Rainoyama said:

Takakeisho had a very good basho, this kid is amazing, all the top guys back and he is kk at K1

I've heard said confidently, several times during the last 2-3 tournaments, that the other guys are going to "figure out" Takakeisho.

Any day now...any day....it's gonna happen......any day.........