Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

According to Sports Hochi all 70 sekitori will be starting the basho, for the first time in over a year (most recently Nagoya 2017).

Kisenosato's do-or-die basho begins against Ikioi, followed by komusubi Takakeisho. 15-1 H2H against Ikioi, so he arguably couldn't have lucked into an easier starting bout...

Go Akiseyama!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Go Akiseyama!

Hey!!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Hey!!

If there's one guy who has plenty of room for a bigger bandwagon...

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

If there's one guy who has plenty of room for a bigger bandwagon...

I openly admit to being one of his biggest, if only, fans. Dogged as hell, unflappable as a wingless bird, ponderous at tachiai as a centuries-old building, strong as a bull elephant after months of training for the elephant Olympics. And no one is more stoic after either defeat or victory. All hail Akiseyama and his recent streaks of varying fortune. ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

Kisenosato's do-or-die basho begins against Ikioi, followed by komusubi Takakeisho. 15-1 H2H against Ikioi, so he arguably couldn't have lucked into an easier starting bout...

His best head-to-head shutout record is 11-0 against Kaisei, which would have been Day 1 if my GTB entry was right.  So, arguably.

Edited by Gurowake

5 hours ago, Gurowake said:

His best head-to-head shutout record is 11-0 against Kaisei, which would have been Day 1 if my GTB entry was right.  So, arguably.

Hakuho has a 12-0 against Tamawashi [who he has on day one], if he's really not 100%, which he probably isn't, I could easily see Tamawashi getting his first win against the Yokozuna here. For me that bout and Takayasu vs Yutakayama will be the most interesting purely on a "are these guys going to last the full 15" level, as well as just being solid match ups.

44 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Terunofuji out, Ura-in!!

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Terunofuji out, Ura-in!!

Ha, ha, ha, ha.... My boy is back! Bring the pink mawashi, bro, it's time to rock!

I hadn't heard anything, so this is great news from Kintamayama. I hope Ura is healthy enough to wrestle and of course, I hope he does well. Now, I'm wondering in what division he's wrestling...

Let them tremble at the top of the banzuke .

47 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

Now, I'm wondering in what division he's wrestling...

He's at Sandanme 91 I believe

NHK world live English broadcast day 1 and 8 at 17:20 JST......  Watching Goedo , Kakayruu for good starts.. Kagayaki has Onoshu day 1...ouch. READY FOR SOME SUMO !! 

1 hour ago, Thundersnow said:

Bring the pink mawashi, bro,

He'll be rocking the black/gray one for the next year or so...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thundersnow said:

Ha, ha, ha, ha.... My boy is back! Bring the pink mawashi, bro, it's time to rock!

I hadn't heard anything, so this is great news from Kintamayama. I hope Ura is healthy enough to wrestle and of course, I hope he does well. Now, I'm wondering in what division he's wrestling...

Let them tremble at the top of the banzuke .

No pink mawashi for a toriteki. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kawabata said:

He's at Sandanme 91 I believe

In his category he could break the record for lowest demotion to makuuchi return.

5 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

In his category he could break the record for lowest demotion to makuuchi return.

He probably can go a bit better than that given that he reached a somewhat high rank and even earned a kinboshi.  Lowest rank between kinboshi I have no idea of right now, but I doubt it's any lower than Juryo.

(No, I'm not looking.  I have better things to do.)

Edited by Gurowake

Does anyone know if Ura is at 100% or is too eager to return with less than 100% strength?

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Does anyone know if Ura is at 100% or is too eager to return with less than 100% strength?

He wanted to return last basho.

I think he has been doing the right thing, not starting training too soon, giving the injury time to heal, then building it up slowly before going all out. He is a clever lad. I'm sure he waited till he had full confidence that it won't be a hindrance to his sumo now that he has enterexd Aki, and that he has been training for a meteoric rise up the banzuke.

I do hope that someone will be able to post videos of his bouts!

1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

I do hope that someone will be able to post videos of his bouts!

He'll most likely get covered by the sumo channel on Youtube so I'll do my best to also post them here in the videos thread

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gurowake said:

He probably can go a bit better than that given that he reached a somewhat high rank and even earned a kinboshi.  Lowest rank between kinboshi I have no idea of right now, but I doubt it's any lower than Juryo.

I know of at least one.

• Like 2

From one of the vids that was posted the doctor told Ura that he should be careful when fighting with the knee and Ura was saying that he wasn’t 100% (probably can never be after such an injury?) but I don’t know how old the stuff in the vid is.

4 hours ago, Washuyama said:
12 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I know of at least one.

Ryuko dropped to Makushita 42w in between his two kinboshi, according to my notes that is the record.

Asanosho dropped down to Sandanme 37e, I don't recall right now if there are any other former winners who have fallen lower until Ura now.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Asanosho dropped down to Sandanme 37e, I don't recall right now if there are any other former winners who have fallen lower until Ura now.

Having hammered the DB with a very CPU-intensive query (200,000 rikishi records in the output...), it does look like he was the lowest-ranking former kinboshi winner who actually got back to competing - other guys such as Shotenro dropped to lower ranks, but ended up retiring without further dohyo activity.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Having hammered the DB with a very CPU-intensive query (200,000 rikishi records in the output...), it does look like he was the lowest-ranking former kinboshi winner who actually got back to competing - other guys such as Shotenro dropped to lower ranks, but ended up retiring without further dohyo activity.

Agreed. Kinoarashi had a notable trip around the ranks after winning his only kinboshi, recovering from Sd25e for a decent second stint as a sekitori, and finally dropping as far as Jd6w at the end, but as you say he wasn't actually competing that that depth.