Rocks

Basho Talk Hatsu 2018 (SPOILERS)

2 minutes ago, word20 said:

What is Mitakeumi meaning when he wanted to help Tochinochin winning? They are not in the same stable

Same ichimon, Dewanoumi heya and Kasugano heya also train together quite frequently 

What a disappointment kakuryu has turned out, again, to be...

And i was hoping for him to win until the last match...

Méh, i guess he is no Harumafuji, intai would be good i guess...

I was starting to believe that Kakuryū was injured, but in today’s bout he fought hard and didn’t really look injured. Just, he pulled, again, and lost. Hopefully he wins tomorrow to have a semi-respectable record. People calling for his intai when up to day 10 everyone thought he was gonna yūshō… lol.

Congratulations to Tochinoshin! First hiramaku yūshō in my time watching sumō. I hope he can get a good result next basho too.

Edit: Oh yeah, that throw by Ichinojō was amazing. I hope he stays injury free too.

Edited by ALAKTORN
  • Like 1

Don't forget guys that Tochinoshin could actually hit the gym the last few months because he is mostly healthy after a very long time.

• Like 2

So, for ten days, Kakuryu floated through the field, dropping guys (mostly with ease) left and right. Including the champion-elect. Reinstated, asserted, quieting all critics.

Four days of unfortunate sumo and he's finished, edge of intai etc. pp.

Sums up much of what has been said here.

• Like 10

What an exciting basho!  Many congratulations to Tochinoshin, but I did feel sad that his family couldn't be there to share the moment and celebrate with him.  

The Terunofuji-Ikioi result was like shooting a fish in a barrel, which says more about Terunofuji than an injured Ikioi (who didn't seem to relish it), but still... Tragic.  

Taking today's bout in isolation, I don't think the question is 'what's wrong with Kakuryu?' but rather 'what's right with Takayasu?'.  He's obviously over his thigh problem now.  However, I share the view expressed by others that it's far too early to consider this the start of a Takayasu tsuna run.  

A convincing win from Goeido today, but really, going KK (and 8-6 at that) on day 14 is pisspoor for his rank.  I consider him more a sekiwake+, rather than a bona fide ozeki.  

But Kakuryu...oh dear.  He doesn't seem injured to me, but rather is misjudging his bouts and opponents and today Takayasu was simply bigger and stronger.  It's a shame that he should finish on such a disappointing note given the fierce start, but I don't think intai is necessary yet.  He came back strong and fit, but his opponents (even those he knows well) are not the same as when he last fought them in tournament conditions; they're bigger, stronger and more experienced.  He needs to digest what he's seen this basho and learn from it.  

While obviously I don't wish any ill-will on Hakuho, I have to say I don't miss him; things have been much more interesting in his absence.  

• Like 1

Congratz to Tochinoshin.

Fun piece of trivia, with Tochinoshin's yusho he continues the rule that every Juryo zensho yusho winner would later in Makuuchi at minimum either win a yusho or become a ozeki.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations to Toshinoshin!! 

I've been a long time fan and supporter, having met him briefly on a jungyo stop in October 2008 (conveniently, he's the inspiration for the first part of my forum shikona). There's been ups and downs with his injuries and heya troubles, but I've always believed him to be a truly powerful rikishi who could go far, and I'm beyond ecstatic at his yusho! 

• Like 2

Really excited that Tochinoshin was able to clinch his first tournament victory. Being something like the 9th hiramaku victory in 27 odd years really shows how difficult it is to be mentally tough through the whole tournament. Whether he goes on for an Ozeki run down the track doesn't really matter. He is now a proud holder of the cup. He is a very humble rikishi and he held himself very well in his interview. Even with his beating with a golf club a number of years back from his oyakata, he has repaid the stable greatly. I bet his oyakata is feeling slightly relieved after all the bad press he has had in the last week days. 

I don't know if Kintamayama has been showing it in his videos lately, but... half time show: synchronized sweeping!

2stOb27.jpg

• Like 1

Just as a side note - a bet before the basho on Takekaze beating Terunofuji by yorikiri, of all kimarite, could have earned one a nice sum. Even with Terunofuji in truly bad condition, I had to read that line twice to believe it - not Takekaze´s win, the kimarite.

• Like 1

I think Kakuryu would have taken 10-5 before the basho if it had been offered to him, and certainly 11-4 if he beats an 8-6 Goeido who hasn’t been pulling up any trees either. Ok so he hasn’t looked great the last few days but it should be enough to stave off any intai calls for now. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

A convincing win from Goeido today, but really, going KK (and 8-6 at that) on day 14 is pisspoor for his rank.  I consider him more a sekiwake+, rather than a bona fide ozeki.  

Before his yusho, a special rank of Ozekiwake for him has been suggested here. :-)

Edited by Gospodin
editorial correction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

It was only insinuated, not outright stated, but it was pretty obviously the case, IMHO: There was absolutely no talk of an ozeki run after 8+13 by those in charge, which indicates that the 8 wins were considered useless. Because of that I don't think it makes any sense to think of his ozeki run as 8+13+12, even if that totals the customary 33. All the value in his run was in the last two tournaments. (And that value was close to what's expected of an ozeki challenging for yokozuna honours...it would have been very hard to defend the idea that it's not good enough when a sekiwake is challenging for an ozeki promotion.)

Tochinoshin's starting point is worse than Terunofuji's was, but if he goes 14+13 it would be hard to deny him. In any case, with some earlier hiramaku yusho such as those by Kotonishiki, they outright set a promotion goal of "get a second yusho" afterwards. (Even though he wasn't even sekiwake both times.)

EDIT: Thanx Asashosakari, great sum-up, completely agree. If it's something like 14-1Y 13-2J (or D), I'd say they have to promote him.

And more or less the same with Takayasu, 12-3J, 13-2 or 14-1Y, 12-3 or 13-2 J is what could (should?) be enough for tsuna

And thanx for reminder Amamaniac, not checkin what I write quite often and these are the results - very sory Asashosakari for (corrected) mistake

Edited by maorencze

2 hours ago, Gospodin said:

Before his yusho, a special rank of Ozekiwake for him has been suggested here. :-)

Then may I also throw Yokozeki into the ring for Kisenosato?  (Laughing...)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Then may I also throw Yokozeki into the ring for Kisenosato?  (Laughing...)

Kyujozeki, perchance.

OH SNAP!!

DID YOU SEE THAT!?

I know you did and know Tochinoshin is the FIRST georgian Champion!! Congrats To Tochinoshin! (Yushowinner...)

3 hours ago, ryafuji said:

I think Kakuryu would have taken 10-5 before the basho if it had been offered to him, and certainly 11-4 if he beats an 8-6 Goeido who hasn’t been pulling up any trees either. Ok so he hasn’t looked great the last few days but it should be enough to stave off any intai calls for now. 

A yokozuna should not "take" a 10-5, a yokozuna should be there to win no matter what, and knowing that he has a chance to clinch the cup.

With kakuryu, i understand that he is an athlete, he need the money, and his salary is far from poor, but he doesnt fit the dignity of a yokozuna with this poor performances...

I believe that, when a yokozuna is not able to win a single basho in years, even when every other yokozuna is kyujo, he should consider retirement.

And believe me, i was hoping that he would be able to at least get 13 wins or so...or the yusho...but there we go again...

11 minutes ago, Stein said:

A yokozuna should not "take" a 10-5, a yokozuna should be there to win no matter what, and knowing that he has a chance to clinch the cup.

With kakuryu, i understand that he is an athlete, he need the money, and his salary is far from poor, but he doesnt fit the dignity of a yokozuna with this poor performances...

I believe that, when a yokozuna is not able to win a single basho in years, even when every other yokozuna is kyujo, he should consider retirement.

And believe me, i was hoping that he would be able to at least get 13 wins or so...or the yusho...but there we go again...

Anyway he is still better than Kisenosato who is yet to prove that he still can finish a basho. 

Edited by Dapeng

Just took a look at the 19 rikishies who yusho-ed at hiramaku (since 1949 summer), 2 became yokozuna and 2 became ozeki. Most of the remaining 15 reached sekiwake. If Tochinoshin can keep fight like this basho, he will reach ozeki or even yokozuna.