Kintamayama

Harumafuji scandal thread- part 2

21 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Harumafuji will have an intai-zumo in the kokugikan on Sep. 30th for his danpatsu-shiki. Asashoryu had an intai-zumo as well. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201805140000906.html

I wonder what Harumafuji makes of having to hold onto his top-knot for a whole year after leaving sumo. Or will he grow it back specially for the ceremony having already had a haircut?

No, they will only cut off the topknot at the ceremony, no ifs and buts.

12 minutes ago, rhyen said:

No, they will only cut off the topknot at the ceremony, no ifs and buts.

True and considering the lump of cash he'll get out of his intai-zumo and ceremony putting up with a top knot for a year will be more than worth it.

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

I wonder what Harumafuji makes of having to hold onto his top-knot for a whole year after leaving sumo. Or will he grow it back specially for the ceremony having already had a haircut?

In a way, I think it's a good thing that he's been in this purgatory.  It kind of softens the blow and allows him to ease into it psychologically and also stick around on the scene and get his contemporaries used to seeing him remain in sumo but in a non-rikishi capacity.  Imagine if he'd been straight up exiled as speedily as Osunaarashi - arguably it would have been harder for him to come back in a coaching capacity.  He's managed to maintain his ties in this way.  He has time to get his affairs in order and arrange for a seamless transition which, by then, won't really be an actual transition.  The outrage in the freshness of the scandal will have faded and I think will give way to people feeling sad to see him go. 

• Like 2

I think that being forced to intai was harsh but necessary given the zero tolerance policy.
Having done the right thing -- admitting his mistake, taking his lumps, embracing a nonviolent ethos -- there is no residual shame. Given that he truly controls his temper, I can see no wrong and much good in him continuing in some official function.  By no means this is an acceptance of his violence against Takanoiwa, but he can be an important voice in the campaign to stamp out violence. He can show that coaching does not need to be violent, for a start.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 17:19, Akinomaki said:

Harumafuji will have an intai-zumo in the kokugikan on Sep. 30th for his danpatsu-shiki.

the poster for the event

Dfyw31HUcAA9WvJ.jpg:large

tickets - only masu A are sold out so far

Dfyw31GVAAAx-yO.jpg:thumbo

remaining goods are still on sale at the kokugikan shops - but that picture tegata was sold out when I was at the kokugikan

Dfyw31GVAAMw04B.jpg:thumbo Dfyw31pVQAA7g0F.jpg:thumbo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/15/2018 at 08:58, orandashoho said:

I think that being forced to intai was harsh but necessary given the zero tolerance policy.
Having done the right thing -- admitting his mistake, taking his lumps, embracing a nonviolent ethos -- there is no residual shame. Given that he truly controls his temper, I can see no wrong and much good in him continuing in some official function.  By no means this is an acceptance of his violence against Takanoiwa, but he can be an important voice in the campaign to stamp out violence. He can show that coaching does not need to be violent, for a start.

Actually the YDC and the NSK had not said made any rulings before he retired to my recollection. They were waiting on the investigation to be completed. I think they would have given him a suspension.

• Like 1

Coach Harumafuji had returned from Mongolia for the Isegahama Nagoya senshuraku party, but went back there shortly after to prepare the opening in September of the "New Harumafuji Mongol school" primary and middle school - Japanese style education in cooperation with and as preparation for the existing private New Mongol Academy high school and so on. He had started this project Kyushu 2 years ago, with the scandal and his intai it seemed endangered, but apparently the opening will take place as planned. It's already very popular: they received 10 applications for each available place they offered. End of September he has the danpatsu-shiki, and around the time he also plans to publish a first biography. 

- the tabloid ends in speculations of him aiming for president some day

http://shukan.bunshun.jp/articles/-/10054

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see some good news about Harumafuji. I liked his sumo a lot and was so sad that his career ended the way it did. All the best for his future plans. :)

• Like 1

Former rikishi-kai head Harumafuji today appeared at the rikishi-kai to make the announcement of his intai-zumo on Sep. 30th and to thank the members for their favors over a long time.

20180828-OHT1I50102-N.jpgo567e9ad1799d78b0089fc6e93071503f-212x300.jpgo

201808280000459-w200_0.jpgo AS20180828003635_commL.jpgo

b_11585678.jpgosum18082816010002-m1.jpgo s.jpg 0180828at39_t.jpgo 201808280000459-w200_1.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Former rikishi-kai head Harumafuji today appeared at the rikishi-kai to make the announcement of his intai-zumo on Sep. 30th and to thank the members for their favors over a long time.

It is customary that a former rikishi appears at the rikishi-kai before his intai-zumo, where the active rikishi do torikumi like at a jungyo. Thus avoiding a meeting with Harumafuji, Takanoiwa that day was not present at the rikishi-kai - he was there the last time. http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/1109548/

20180829s00005000004000p_thum.jpgo b_11587608.jpgo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 15/08/2018 at 19:23, Akinomaki said:

End of September he has the danpatsu-shiki, and around the time he also plans to publish a first biography. 

The  illustrated (not by himself) autobiography of the sumo life of the 70th yokozuna Harumafuji will go on sale on Sept 25th, not just for Japan, but the whole world: English texts have been added https://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20180907-OHT1T50016.html

20180907-OHT1I50014-L.jpg

basically the same pictures as in this one, just a few more - and maybe there is not much text in this new book

On 09/04/2014 at 10:56, Akinomaki said:

A book showing the way of HF from entering sumo to now in paintings is complete. HF with the artist and the book.
She was painting about a 100 scenes a year of bouts from the main basho since 2007. The book was practically finished 2 years ago, but HF asked to have the work continue till he'd become yokozuna.
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2014/04/09/kiji/K20140409007938620.html
G20140409007938900_view.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Takanoiwa asked if he will take part (in the torikumi) at Harumafuji's intai-zumo on the 30th: "I don't know yet." http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201809240000163.html

Normally I would say he should as it's good to see things settled and put it the past. At the same time such a thing might become a spectacle and a distraction from an event which is a celebration of a great career.  In the end I lean towards Takanoiwa saying such and not attending. If Harumafuji decides he wants to settle it then do a public meeting, or at least a PR release of such,  before the event and get that out of the way so it doesn't distract from the day itself.

• Like 5

Takanoiwa is demanding compensation from Harumafuji in the amount of  30,000,000 yen (approx. $263,000 ) . He says it's damages for the two bashos he missed, consolation money, hospital fees, travel fees, etc.  He intends to sue Harumafuji if they don't settle out of court amicably.  Harumafuji seems to be heading for a civil suit, as their lawyers have not reached any agreement. Takanoiwa has demanded the money two months ago. "That's an exorbitant sum. From Harumafuji's point of view, he has come forward and told the police and the Kyokai all he knows, so it's a closed case. But if it's a lawsuit Takanoiwa wants, he won't back down, probably. Takanoiwa used to be very close to Harumafuji and even called him 'big brother'. I have the feeling that this is not Takanoiwa demanding, but someone else is behind it, " said a mutual friend, hinting at Takanohana, probably. So it looks like we have not heard the end of this yet.

• Thanks 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I was kind of hoping this thread was going to fade away....:-(

• Like 1

But Takanohana’s out now, isn’t he? So he holds no power over Takanoiwa anymore?

54 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

But Takanohana’s out now, isn’t he? So he holds no power over Takanoiwa anymore?

Not in an official capacity, but as a mentor, probably forever.

I keep thinking of him saying that he was afraid of his Oyakata... he might be releived to be rid of him.

• Thanks 1

On 02/10/2018 at 23:52, Kintamayama said:

Takanoiwa is demanding compensation from Harumafuji in the amount of  30,000,000 yen (approx. $263,000 ) . He says it's damages for the two bashos he missed, consolation money, hospital fees, travel fees, etc.  He intends to sue Harumafuji if they don't settle out of court amicably.  Harumafuji seems to be heading for a civil suit, as their lawyers have not reached any agreement.

Harumafuji had offered 300 000 Yen.Takanoiwa's lawyers had a press conference today: they demand in court in total 24 135 256 Yen,

composed of:

hospital costs: 4 359 302 Yen

lost pay: 1 481 840 Yen

9 million yen expected kensho

lost jungyo pay 380 000 Yen

reduction of retirement money 1 720 000 Yen

consolation money 5 million yen

lawyer fee 2 194 114 Yen

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201810040000410.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

9 million yen expected kensho

How many envelopes would that be? Something like~150? Wouldn't that be more than he got during his whole career up until now?

Or do they mean something completely different here and I just don't get it?

31 minutes ago, RaeucherLax said:

How many envelopes would that be? Something like~150? Wouldn't that be more than he got during his whole career up until now?

Or do they mean something completely different here and I just don't get it?

They counted one kensho as 60 000 Yen (=150 kensho), though the rikishi gets 30 000, and later only  26 700, and not directly, most of it after intai.

On 13/05/2014 at 07:00, Akinomaki said:

With the VAT increase to 8% in Japan, the kensho costs for the sponsors have risen from 60 000 to 62 000 Yen per kensho. The part the NSK keeps for costs (yobidashi, announcing etc.) rises from 5000 to 5300 Yen, the part they keep for the taxes and social insurance (pension fund) of the rikishi rises from 25 000 to 26 700. The money the rikishi receives in the envelope remains at 30 000 Yen.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 09/05/2018 at 11:05, Otokonoyama said:

Sumo panel to expand violence inquiry

An independent panel discussing measures to prevent violence among sumo wrestlers says it plans to widen its probe to include retired wrestlers who have appeared during the past 10 years.

The Japan Sumo Association in February asked the panel to look into the underlying violence among wrestlers and propose preventive measures. This came in response to a violent assault on a lower-ranked wrestler by then yokozuna grand champion Harumafuji in October of last year. The Mongolian wrestler retired to take responsibility for his actions.

The panel has met 7 times and inspected training procedures at stables as well as the association's promotional tours. It says its members interviewed more than 900 members of the association, including wrestlers.

On Tuesday, the panel's head and former prosecutor general Keiichi Tadaki indicated to reporters that its interim results show that he could not rule out the existence of more violent incidents. He said the findings will be made public in September after a further analysis of the results.

Tadaki also said the panel plans to conduct an investigation into past violence. About 1,000 former wrestlers and other members of the association who have left the organization over the past 10 years will be surveyed through a questionnaire.

The plan came in response to the death of a wrestler in a violent assault in 2007.

Tadaki said the panel will examine why violent incidents have recurred despite efforts that began more than 10 years ago to rid the sumo world of violence.

The panel is expected to come up with its final report by October.

The public affairs chief and stable master Shibatayama said the sumo association has been trying to raise members' awareness through lectures. He added that it is important that the proposals from the panel are used to combat violence.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20180508_32/

Final report: 5.2% of the about 900 NSK members questioned told that they were subjected to violence last year  - in 1978 it were 37%. The violence comes mostly under the name of "guidance". Those who suffer violence are mainly rikishi in their 1st to 3rd year, from mainly those who are in the 4th to 6th year.

NHK news-page with video https://www3.nhk.or.jp/shutoken-news/20181019/0020232.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It would be interesting to know how many of the abusers have also been victims, as is often seen with domestic violence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1