Kintamayama

Harumafuji scandal thread- part 2

Recommended Posts

Kintamayama    22,328

OK, so I guess part 1 is gone forever. To kick off part two, we should be hearing a lot of news tomorrow, Monday, as both the YDC and the rijikai are convening. Latest rumors: Takanohana  and Isegahama will lose their riji status and will receive a fine. Hakkaku will personally  convey to them their punishment, say guys in the know. . "It's a possibility, and it all depends on how the discussions go," said someone. And there's that YDC demand to punish Hakuhou and Kakuryuu as well for not doing enough to prevent the violence. Possible punishments, in order of severity:

Dismissal

Intai recommendation

Demotion

Suspension of duties

Suspension of appearance

Reduction in salary

Censure

Half of the Kyokai is for taking it easy, or at least waiting for the Kyokai's investigation to end, while the other half wishes to deal severe punishment. That being said, Isegahama is probably in for a demotion. OTOH, some are saying it's going to be very difficult to demote Takanohana and are suggesting a "suspension of duties". If this suspension will be for long,  it will have a strong bearing on the coming elections in January, so tomorrow will be an interesting day indeed.

 

 

 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dada78641    342

I'd be really saddened if they penalized Hakuhou and Kakuryuu for not intervening quickly enough, though. Even if they're both yokozuna, you can't expect them while half drunk to immediately realize that they need to jump over and restrain someone... the NSK has done their best to make this whole thing as miserable as possible in an attempt to look their best.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bumpkin    350

Demotion? I think not! Since when is that an option for a Yokozuna?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katooshu    545

Dismissal? Intai recommendation ? Demotion? 

GTFO >:-(

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Benevolance    1,199

Demotion? I think not! Since when is that an option for a Yokozuna?

Maybe they see this as a way to extend Kakuryu's career...?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flyric    36
41 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Demotion? I think not! Since when is that an option for a Yokozuna?

It's not. I know one Yokozuna back in the 1950s (Yokozuna Chiyonoyama) tried asking for a demotion back to Ozeki, but was denied. Much easier to ask them to retire than demote them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kawika    76

anyone know how to set up a poll on the forum?

Dismissal

Intai recommendation

Demotion

Suspension of duties

Suspension of appearance

Reduction in salary

Censure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
orandashoho    522

Oyakata are ranked and can be demoted. Takanohana has not lost his rank but he has been sidelined since he lost the election to Hakkaku -- he is still riji but he's had a more prestigious directorship before being made Jungyo Chief, and the Kyokai replaced him as Jungyo Chief, which is a suspension of duties punishment already. They can make the suspension period longer, take all his duties away, but that won't stop his voice or his vote. What further demotion can they be thinking of? Taking away Takanohana's riji status might be seen as a move of Hakkaku to get rid of a rival. Even if demoted to checking tickets or protecting the hanamichi, Takanohana won't stop rebelling.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sekitori    244
3 hours ago, dada78641 said:

I'd be really saddened if they penalized Hakuhou and Kakuryuu for not intervening quickly enough, though. Even if they're both yokozuna, you can't expect them while half drunk to immediately realize that they need to jump over and restrain someone... the NSK has done their best to make this whole thing as miserable as possible in an attempt to look their best.

If they did penalize Hakuho and Kakuryu, it would be the weakest form of punishment possible--maybe something stating they should have done more to prevent what occurred. This could be done to appease all those who are looking for as much blame as possible to go around for everyone involved. It will be a typically half-assed response to a situation where regarding the two yokozunas,  no censure of any sort, no matter how mild it may be, is indicated. 

Then again, these people may call for both yokozunas to retire, thereby ridding sumo of the most important remaining Mongolian barbarians. >:-(

 

Edited by sekitori

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kawika    76
1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

Oyakata are ranked and can be demoted. Takanohana has not lost his rank but he has been sidelined since he lost the election to Hakkaku -- he is still riji but he's had a more prestigious directorship before being made Jungyo Chief, and the Kyokai replaced him as Jungyo Chief, which is a suspension of duties punishment already. They can make the suspension period longer, take all his duties away, but that won't stop his voice or his vote. What further demotion can they be thinking of? Taking away Takanohana's riji status might be seen as a move of Hakkaku to get rid of a rival. Even if demoted to checking tickets or protecting the hanamichi, Takanohana won't stop rebelling.

does it make sense that Takanohana will make another drive to be elected Kyokai Chairman?  i lost track...when is the next election for Chairman?  i seem to recall he made a big push for it last time, and he had some strong supporters in the Kyokai, just not enough...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
orandashoho    522
9 minutes ago, kawika said:

does it make sense that Takanohana will make another drive to be elected Kyokai Chairman?  i lost track...when is the next election for Chairman?  i seem to recall he made a big push for it last time, and he had some strong supporters in the Kyokai, just not enough...

His influence has weakened and his refusals haven't helped his position. Something backfired when he played kyokai politics over the careers of Harumafuji and Takanoiwa. It's not a good position from which to make a bid for the grand chair. Nowhere near as good as last time when he was Poster Boy for reform. I think that quite a few of his supporters back then would now hesitate, wondering what he"d do if he were in power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    17,882

There have been speculations that Hahuho and Kakuryu might get some salary reduction as a slightly bigger punishment - Yaku the Takarian Mitsuru wants Hakuho to get a suspension. No results yet, the YDC earlier today recommended a stern warning https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2017122000701&g=spo

Oyakata rank reduction for Taka is an option - but the fun thing is, in spite of one he could be reelected riji end of next month in the upcoming election.

They couldn't agree on anything for Taka - that's on the agenda for the next meeting on the 28th. https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASKDN53Q2KDNUTQP00Y.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kintamayama    22,328

Hakuhou and Kakuryuu should be orally reprimanded, said the YDC today. "Harumafuji did the right thing to retire immediately. Hakuhou and Kakuryuu were present during the assault, but couldn't stop it from happening. They should be reprimanded for that. Takanohana should be criticized for his behavior. These were our unanimous decisions," said Chairman Kitamura. Hakuhou and Kakuryuu were present.

 

201712200000361-w300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kintamayama    22,328

The Kyokai will not decide on a punishment for Takanohana "until we meet and hear from him directly. Then we will weigh our options and decide." Takanohana was at the meeting and had his "devil face" on. No decision on Isegahama's punishment either.

"I hear you have no been paying lately.. My patience is running out, Francesco.."

貴乃花親方への処分は先送り「聴取後に評価すべき」

 

And his fashion sense again..

貴乃花親方「散るも咲くも」理事会前々夜の決起集会

 

201712200000396-w300_1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kintamayama    22,328
56 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

They met with Takanoiwa last night and have till the 28th to go through that evidence before making penalty decisions on all concerned.

TV show gossip- uncomfirmed anywhere, Nikkan has pulled its blurb on this.  Confirmed by the Kyokai.  Police investigation questions. No details yet.

Edited by Kintamayama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kaninoyama    49

NHK reporting that Hakuko and Kakuryu will be docked salary for failing to put a stop to Harumafuji's beating of Takanoiwa,  Isegahama will resign his position as riji, and Takanohana's fate to be decided at a later date.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kintamayama    22,328

Takanoiwa said that he thinks he didn't do anything particularly bad to receive such a beating, said Mr. Takano, head of the Crisis Committee at a press conference today.

Ouch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kintamayama    22,328

Hakkaku rijicho has announced these measures:

Hakuhou and Kakuryuu docked January's full salary, and Hakuhou will be docked for half of his February salary as well. Reason-as the leading Yokozuna, he should have done more to prevent this. Kakuryuu is to blame to a lesser extent, hence the difference in punishment.

Harumafuji: Already intai so that's that, but from now on, all Yokozuna involved in this kind of behavior- retirement will be the standard. As for his severance pay, they will decide how much to deduct if at all.

Isegahama will resign as riji. Responsibility as Harumafuji's Oyakata, Isegahama himself asked to resign. As for Terunofuji and Ishiura who were also present, they have been severely cautioned.

Takanohana? We shall see..

 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kintamayama    22,328
9 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

Well Kyokai changed their minds on the initial announcement coming out with some penalties.

They didn't say at any point that they will not punish Hakuhou or Kakuryuu- they just said they will delay their decision regarding Takanohana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kintamayama    22,328
1 minute ago, WAKATAKE said:

From Hakkaku's statement in this article it looks like they will be considering docking Harumafuji's retirement pay too.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201712200000558.html

A reduction, not a total docking, as I wrote above- "We will decide on the reduction later."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kawika    76
41 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakkaku rijicho has announced these measures:

Hakuhou and Kakuryuu docked January's full salary, and Hakuhou will be docked for half of his February salary as well. Reason-as the leading Yokozuna, he should have done more to prevent this. Kakuryuu is to blame to a lesser extent, hence the difference in punishment.

Harumafuji: Already intai so that's that, but from now on, all Yokozuna involved in this kind of behavior- retirement will be the standard. As for his severance pay, they will decide how much to deduct if at all.

Isegahama will resign as riji. Responsibility as Harumafuji's Oyakata, Isegahama himself asked to resign. As for Terunofuji and Ishiura who were also present, they have been severely cautioned.

Takanohana? We shall see..

 

Isegahama himself asked to resign?  That seems very harsh, is there precedence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now