Kintamayama

Harumafuji scandal thread- part 2

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

I'm surprised no reporter called this scandal the Bungle in the Jugyo.

Because it doesn't rhyme.

Just now, Benihana said:

Because it doesn't rhyme.

Yeah, but it looks good in print.

Just now, Rocks said:

Yeah, but it looks good in print.

But not using teh english language...and noone (except you (not judging)) would come up with bungle in the jungyo. What the heck is a bungle?

Just now, Benihana said:

But not using teh english language...and noone (except you (not judging)) would come up with bungle in the jungyo. What the heck is a bungle?

I meant in an English language paper or blog. To bungle something is to mess up.

Just now, Rocks said:

I meant in an English language paper or blog. To bungle something is to mess up.

Then i think you bungled the intended pun. (Laughing...)

"Walking through forests of palm tree apartments

Scoff at the monkeys who live in their dark tents
Down by the waterhole
Drunk every Friday
Eating their nuts
Saving their raisins for Sunday.
Lions and tigers
Who wait in the shadows
They're fast but they're lazy, and sleep in green meadows
Let's bungle in the jungle
Well, that's all right by me
I'm a tiger when I want love
But I'm a snake if we disagree"

Bungle in the Jungle, Jethro Tull, 1974

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benihana said:

Then i think you bungled the intended pun. (Laughing...)

He pungled the intended pun. 

• Haha 1

Maybe im too late for the party, but is Harumafuji having a traditional retirement party?

The riji-kai today decided that the kouroukin part of Harumafuji's retirement money will be cut by 30%, like they did with Asashoryu. The exact sum was not mentioned. http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlines/articles/CONN00383713.html

I had explained the parts of the retirement payments in the lost thread, with past data - and this post wasn't in the ruins I excavated from the google cache. The kouroukin is a special merit bonus the rijikai decides upon. The other parts are calculated from his career banzuke appearances and the part of the kensho money the NSK keeps for this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2017 at 16:04, Asashosakari said:

Anything been missing from this scandal so far? Why, yes, the creation of a new committee of course. As part of yesterday's post-board meeting press conference it was announced by crisis manager Kagamiyama that the "recurrence prevention measures investigation committee" will be revived, featuring oyakata from all six ichimon as well as outside experts, the latter to be selected by Hakkaku-rijicho. A committee by the same name had been formed after deshi Tokitaizan's death by violence in 2007.

The 4 externals chosen by the riji-cho: http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20180201/sum18020119240007-n1.html

The head of this "recurrence prevention measures investigation committee" will be former attorney general Keiichi Tadaki 但木敬一

- the former coach of the Japanese softball team Taeko Utsugi https://www.google.com/search?q=宇津木妙子

b_10949846.jpgo

- vice chairman of the Japan judo federation Chikaishi 近石康宏, in the police he also was responsible for measures against organized crime https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/関東管区警察局#歴代局長

prm1506010001-n1.jpgo

- kendo hanshi 8th dan Yuji Nakata 中田琇士

Plus 7 oyakata, with crisis manager Kagamiyama at the top. They are meant to give an intermediate report in April/May and the final one end of October.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Harumafuji was out on his last bean-throwing duty today - appearing with his heya-mates rather than the rest of the yokozuna (and not wearing a Kamishimo).  I'm kind of surprised that he is still permitted (expected?) to carry out such public appearances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is the traditional Isegahama setsubun event, the same shrine where they also distribute mochi during New Year celebration. It is more intimate and has a lower profile compared to the major Setsubun shrine festivities  

I doubt that Harumafuji has ever participated in the Narita setsubun ceremony alongside Hakuho. 

• Thanks 1

Has Takanohana reported any bean-related injuries from this latest incident?

Edited by Benevolance
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

Has Takanohana reported any bean-related injuries from this latest incident?

A gaggle of schoolchildren was reported to have pelted him with beans whilst shouting 'oni wa soto!'  ;-)

• Haha 2

Harumafuji returned to Mongolia for the first time after intai. To the interview try by Kyodo, in Mongolian: "I don't want to say anything". To TBS "A word to the Japanese fans?" - " ... "

Length of stay and objective are unknown.

His mother got interviewed by a Mongolian paper: "He has still many things to do in Japan, his repatriation may be next year or 2020."

origin_1.jpgo

news3286634_38.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 2/2/2018 at 18:28, Akinomaki said:

The 4 externals chosen by the riji-cho: http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20180201/sum18020119240007-n1.html

The head of this "recurrence prevention measures investigation committee" will be former attorney general Keiichi Tadaki 但木敬一

- the former coach of the Japanese softball team Taeko Utsugi https://www.google.com/search?q=宇津木妙子

- vice chairman of the Japan judo federation Chikaishi 近石康宏, in the police he also was responsible for measures against organized crime https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/関東管区警察局#歴代局長

- kendo hanshi 8th dan Yuji Nakata 中田琇士

Plus 7 oyakata, with crisis manager Kagamiyama at the top. They are meant to give an intermediate report in April/May and the final one end of October.

After the first committee meeting today, only these 4 externals had a press conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDCrhRvxNDQ

NHK news page with video

K10011321231_1802081825_1802081832_02_01.jpgo

the committee head

s.jpg 0180208at44_t.jpgo origin_1.jpgo

the other 3

s.jpg s.jpg s.jpg

201802090000095-w200_0.jpgo 20180208-OHT1I50163-N.jpgo

also from Kyodo: Harumafuji arriving in Mongolia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1_eg5SUlWE

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 2

On 18.1.2018 at 22:27, yorikiried by fate said:

I would be genuinly interested in this forum's members take on Mike Wesemann's comments concerning the whole Takanoiwa incident over at The Dark Side. Particularly the timeline and the alleged photographic evidence concerning Takanoiwa's physical state at certain dates makes me have deep thoughts.

I dare you to read it and re-enter here with your own knowledge. Any comment would be appreciated. I promise to you that yaocho is only mentioned once or twice...

Although the evidence is rather thin, it is a valid speculation that a major injury of Takanoiwa was inflicted after the incident with Harumafuji. In fact, it is quite possible.

I also found Mike's point of view on the Kasugano incident 2014, issued in "Day 14 comments", interesting: "I'm pretty sure that Takanohana was the one who leaked the news to the press because the only other oyakata who was briefed on the situation was Kitanoumi"

The similarity to the recent events is, in both cases Takanohana utilizes outside powers (media, police) for ... so for what? Either, to put forward his ideals to a Sumo with less violence off the Dohyo, or to gain power. The latter seems to be much more consistent with his actions afterwards.

On 2018-01-29 at 11:48, Stein said:

Maybe im too late for the party, but is Harumafuji having a traditional retirement party?

While I don't have any inside information, I would say that Harumafuji will indeed have a traditional danpatsu shiki retirement ceremony.  Even Asashoryu was given that honour.  His ceremony was held over nine months after his scandal hit the news, and resulted in a forced retirement.  

In the photo provided by Akinomaki above, Harumafuji is still sporting his mage which suggests that he is sticking to the expectations of the Kyokai and the sumo world: a wrestler's ties to the sport are cut with a snip (or multiple ones) of the hair.  And I will be surprised if Asashoryu does not attend that event when it occurs.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

While I don't have any inside information, I would say that Harumafuji will indeed have a traditional danpatsu shiki retirement ceremony.  Even Asashoryu was given that honour.  His ceremony was held over nine months after his scandal hit the news, and resulted in a forced retirement. 

While some ceremonies seem to happen very soon after the retirement is announced it is not unusual for some to happen months later. I would imagine it takes time to get these things organized (make sure the location is available and reserve it, guest lists/invitations, food/beverage...  reminds me of planning a wedding!)

I didn't know " vs " is common in Japan. You learn something new every day.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

I didn't know " vs " is common in Japan. You learn something new every day.

I've seen 対 (tai) much more often than vs, which serves the same purpose. 

Here is a new spin on the scandal that forced Harumafuji to retire.  Interestingly enough, this one comes from Harumafuji's mother.  I'm a little confused about the timing behind this article.  It is too late to appeal her son's retirement from the sport.  Is she a pawn in ongoing power struggles behind the scenes?

http://theubpost.mn/2018/02/25/harumafujis-mother-i-will-proudly-say-that-my-son-isnt-to-blame/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No, she is just giving public support for her son.

she has not brought any new evidence to light. 

• Like 1

Harumafuji seems to have been officially appointed to coach at Isegahama-beya, he's at the Osaka location of the heya now.

c53f27ffebd6a0eec8de1b49f7720a36-233x300.jpgo

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3