Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Nagoya Basho 2013 discussion thread

Looks like both Sekiwake are having a serious shot at KK after all.

Goeido is having Aoiyama tomorrow, and maybe one of Gagamaru / Kyokutenho for Day 15?

No way he's getting a makekoshi rikishi. My guess would be Myogiryu-Aoiyama and Goeido-Okinoumi.
So much for that. It's Goeido-Toyonoshima tomorrow, who could conceivably be 6-8 at that time. Guess they must be very sure that Toyo's 4-0 head-to-head against Takayasu will hold today...

Dispite the fact that he won today, can we regard Jokoryu as a disappointment and kick him of the list of "possible future yokozunas"? I was very disappointed by his performance this basho...:(

Anyone else thinks they made the wrong call at the Tamawashi - Fujiazuma bout?

• Like 2

I was about to ask the same question.

Day 13: 6700 spectators, lowest full house number this basho.

Now all papers report that Hakuho got his injury in the Kakuryu bout and aggravated it the day after.

Dispite the fact that he won today, can we regard Jokoryu as a disappointment and kick him of the list of "possible future yokozunas"? I was very disappointed by his performance this basho...:(

Has he ever been on that list?

• Like 2

I just thought it would come to a 7-7 sansho/shin-sanyaku decider with Chiyotairyu-Takayasu tomorrow, but now there is a chance that both succeed. I was very disappointed that Chiyotairyu again failed today. Maybe tomorrow will be for the ginou-sho ?

No shukun-sho again, Hakuho hasn't lost to those who can get it.

Edited by Akinomaki

Tamawashi thinks so too - just wrote a mail. Have to look at it again, but it won't help unfortunately :'-(

• Like 1

Yeah! we have a mono-ii! Finally - and quite a long one.

Can't wait for Kinta's subtitle plot

Kotooshu seems to get screwed at least once every tournament.

If he wouldn't show such a lackluster performance once he has kachi-koshi secured, he wouldn't end up in such close call situations in the first place - I broke a simple sumo gaming rule today: never pick Osh when he already got his 8

• Like 1

Have we ever seen Hakuho get an aite that off-balance before and be unable to finish him off?

I think i've just watched a little bit of Sumo history and i'm really happy i was able to, that was really exciting, i hope to remember that bout as i do the Hakuho-Kakuryu bout that also sticks in my mind.

• Like 1

Yeah! we have a mono-ii! Finally - and quite a long one.

Can't wait for Kinta's subtitle plot

I was so pissed off at the wrong decision I decided they should be speechless..

• Like 3

Day 14: full house and according to the Twitter and Pia, all tickets have been sold – the Kise factor working again ?

Kisenosato of course is the first who stopped two times a 40+ winning streak – Akinoumi who stopped Futabayama in the longest streak became yokozuna, now Kisenosato really is predestined to become one.

I just wait for the announcement today that it is already assured he will have a run next time – and then he loses again tomorrow to Kotoshogiku.

• Like 5

Yeah, I'm already bracing myself for watching Giku ruin the collective mood again.

Edit: Though, obviously, if it turns out that Kise is a credible threat to Hakuho and Giku is a credible threat to Kise, both need to become yokozuna eventually for the proper rock-paper-scissors yokozuna setup. (Harumafuji who?)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 5

Daido is on pace to join some rare company.

I know he will win tomorrow against Fujiazuma. I will be playing him in every game possible to prove my point.. The evil people put 7-7 Yoshikaze against Wakanosato so everything there will be legit.

Another one I will play in all games- Harumafuji over Hakuhou.

We shall see.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

I can almost not bear to watch Daido losing day after day. Please please please let him win tomorrow!

• Like 1

I was just doing something else in the shikiri-time and when I looked I thought “Oh, Gagamaru looks strong again”, but then “or is he against Daido today ?”

• Like 1

I have some questions about the Hak-Kise bout that I'm hoping some more experienced hands might be able to shed light on...

- I know that Kise is famous for messing about at the pre-taichi-ai and causing mattas etc, although I don't quite understand what it is he does in order to do that. Was he doing it this time?

- Following on from that, I noticed that Hak slapped him in the face quite a few times during the bout - I know this is a legit move, but does it carry any extra implication of irritation or disrespect? (perhaps occasioned by taichi-ai antics? IIRC Hak once henka'd Kise because he was so fed up) Or was this more likely due to Hak's injury, i.e. he had to try scrappier, more surprising tactics.

- Why the purple rain, isn't that usually for when a non-ozeki beats a yokozuna? (I've asked this on Moti's youtube video, apologies for cross-posting). Was it the Japanese crowd rubbing it in Hak's face on nationalistic grounds?

Anyway I've enjoyed this basho even if it hasn't been a classic, especially some of Hak's narrow escapes.

I’m so sad Hakuhō lost… does anybody know whether the injury played a factor? It’s gonna be really hard to get another opportunity in beating Futabayama’s record…

if i was Hakuho i would slap the pout out of Kise's face after his shit on the shikiri line. Just put your fricking hands on the ground when you look like you are about to .... i am a fricking yokozuna after all. But i would lose at the end just like him, because this would be the first time in many bouts that i would lose my temper.

and if i was Kise i would be afraid the next time i would face Hakuho ;-)