Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Takakeisho is endangering his yusho chance - yorikiri - for him that leads to injury

11 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Takayasu sits on a knife edge now. He must stay perfect for the next seven days, which I can't see happening in any timeline.

Meanwhile, the highest-ranked rikishi left in the basho and the lowest-ranked Maegashira on the banzuke are tied for the lead along with Shodai. Will it be a Takayusho, a Tokuryusho or a Yushodai? (Yeah, that was lame, but I'm hitting "save" anyway. Deal with it.)

Taka, taka, taka, end of the story.   Lame, lame, lame, I know.

Inosuke is up to ask for retirement again - sashi-chigae for the tate-gyoji. Where was he looking to give that to Goeido?

That was a brutal sashi-chigae by the gyoji in the Goeido-Abi match, the result of which Goeido is that much closer to following Takayasu down the road to kanraku. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

2 hours ago, Rocks said:

It's to remind him "Don't be stupid. Even injured you can beat Yago this basho"

It worked.

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

It's a warning sign: "please don't touch, my neck may break!".

I knew those answers were coming, but I asked anyway...  (Laughing...)

• Haha 1

On 19/01/2020 at 10:01, Akinomaki said:

Inosuke is up to ask for retirement again - sashi-chigae for the tate-gyoji. Where was he looking to give that to Goeido?

Now do you see what I was talking about in my Kensho Hatsu 2020 post?  Sorry, the man is not up to the tasks he must perform...

Edited by Amamaniac

This gentleman sitting at the west-side hanamichi is looking a lot like Sokokurai. Relative? His father perhaps?

image.png.99497f62a788036aa3549155aa2d5f39.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Takayasu is really fighting to keep the ozeki return chance - but now the chance dropped below 1%

Of course he is only competing to complete his programme of Tagonoura Therapy, the controversial medical technique in which serious injuries are treated with daily participation in high impact combat sports.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Yeah, the little dude rocks.     OTOH, Endo didn't have a clue or plan to handle Enho.   

Endo had a plan - he tried to get his hand on Enho's belt about 30 times and Enho stuffed it each time. Fantastic, fantastic defense

• Like 5

This is an awesome basho. Some epic matches, no real clue at this point who is going to win, Shodai and Endo doing awesome sumo, and the old guard sailing off into the sunset (but not in a good way). 

• Like 2

What are Goeido's prospects of getting 5 more wins from here and retaining ozeki status? He has Enho tomorrow, which should be a hoot. In the last 6 days he should face Takakeisho, Asanoyama, Takayasu and three others- I'm guessing Takarafuji, Tochinoshin & Shohozan.  I'd give him a 35% chance: what do you think?

After yesterday’s dour matches, today was a breath of fresh air. Some great stuff on show. Kotoshogiku-Tokoshoryu, Kiribayama-Kotoeko, Terutsuyoshi-Yutakayama, Ishiura-Onosho, Enho-Endo, Mitakeumi-Myogiryu, Asanoyama-Shodai, Hokutofuji-Takayasu, Takakeisho-Okinoumi, Abi-Goeido ... all entertaining in their own ways. Okay, that’s like half the bouts.

On a sour note, Tsurugisho needs to get himself to hospital. He could barely get down for the tachiai and gave up the moment Tochiozan applied any pressure. What’s the point of being there?

I've been a big fan of Hokutofuji (pic from earlier) since he first came to the makuuchi. Love his powerful, 真っ向勝負 type sumo. Today's match against Takayasu is a great example of how satisfying it is when he wins with that kind of sumo.

Today's random screenshots are these nice but slightly jpg-ey close-ups from just before they show the match results overview.

VFnHzTk.jpg

Ooio06L.jpg

1OWxRyU.jpg

And I liked this shot, someone in the audience holding up an Enho banner (in the back, on the right) right after his brilliant win over Endo.

EZZlNYR.jpg

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 4

Good news from lower makushita: Ryuko, who was apparently injured and also clearly psychologically affected from directly causing Aminishiki's retirement, nailed a KK within 4 bouts from ms35.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

What are Goeido's prospects of getting 5 more wins from here and retaining ozeki status? He has Enho tomorrow, which should be a hoot. In the last 6 days he should face Takakeisho, Asanoyama, Takayasu and three others- I'm guessing Takarafuji, Tochinoshin & Shohozan.  I'd give him a 35% chance: what do you think?

He'll pull out every trick in the book to try and make it. Definitely an uphill battle and an unlikely proposition, but crazier things have happened.

7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Inosuke after the end of the day made the customary offer to retire to Hakkaku, which according to custom was not accepted. Hakkaku: "As the top (gyoji), be careful!." Inosuke: "From tomorrow on I'll do my best" (Mainichi)  - so far he obviously didn't

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

Good news from lower makushita: Ryuko, who was apparently injured and also clearly psychologically affected from directly causing Aminishiki's retirement, nailed a KK within 4 bouts from ms35.

He's got what is in effect a quarter-final match against Ichiki, a 26 year old from Tamanoi-beya tomorrow. If he gets through that one he would face a lower ranked opponent in his sixth bout, giving him a good chance to go up against Wakamotoharu for the makushita yusho. Good luck to the lad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I'd give him a 35% chance: what do you think?

(Typingatcomputer...)(Scratchingchin...),(Anidea...)  

4,28%

• Haha 1

Shodai with that head nod today - that boy was really feeling himself! Looking forward to his match with Takakeisho. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 10:48, Oortael said:

So here are your answer, I guess J8 is the lowest for the modern era, but overall it went as far as J11.

Thanks!!!  this is one of the MANY benefits of this forum!  Smart fans, curious fans, a great neighborhood to be a part of....

• Like 1

I feel this is Takakeisho's basho, and that is how it should be. If his injury is healed 100 %, I fully expect him to become the next yokozuna.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kaioshoryu said:

I feel this is Takakeisho's basho, and that is how it should be. If his injury is healed 100 %, I fully expect him to become the next yokozuna.

I agree about the basho, Takakeisho looks like he's more or less back to his old self and very comfortable in racking up wins. 

I'm not quite so sure he's Yokozuna material yet since his belt sumo is very limited. But if he wins this one and next basho turns out to be similar in terms of opposition then this might be a great chance for him to grab the promotion, whether he's ready or not. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

And length is important, they say.

Have you been talking to my wife again??(Laughing...)

• Haha 1