Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Washuyama said:
14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

And length is important, they say.

Have you been talking to my wife again??(Laughing...)

No, he was talking about duration.

Oh, wait...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Morty said:

no real clue at this point who is going to win,

Wakanohana III went on record today predicting that Takakeisho would win the yusho.  Certainly, that is just his opinion.  But the big Takakeisho-v-Shodai (front-runner pairing) bout tomorrow will be a decisive one.  And while the "men" battle it out, ... Tokushoryu remains a dark horse. It boggles the mind!

Edited by Amamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Endo vs. Enho was even more fabulous than anticipated. #2 bout of the basho. Goeido better watch out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dingo said:

I agree about the basho, Takakeisho looks like he's more or less back to his old self and very comfortable in racking up wins. 

I'm not quite so sure he's Yokozuna material yet since his belt sumo is very limited. But if he wins this one and next basho turns out to be similar in terms of opposition then this might be a great chance for him to grab the promotion, whether he's ready or not. 

Takakeisho recently stated that he has no intention of adding a belt game to his repertoire, and that he has every intention of becoming the first exclusively oshi yokozuna. 

He went so far as to say he was grateful for his recent injury, as it showed him the folly of going away from what has gotten him here to begin with. 

Barring injury, my money is on him to make it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Takakeisho recently stated that he has no intention of adding a belt game to his repertoire, and that he has every intention of becoming the first exclusively oshi yokozuna. 

He went so far as to say he was grateful for his recent injury, as it showed him the folly of going away from what has gotten him here to begin with. 

Barring injury, my money is on him to make it. 

Quite right too. Takakeisho isn’t built for yotsu sumo. His arms are short and his body too big. While conventional wisdom says that a Yokozuna needs a belt game, Takakeisho is right to recognize his limitations and instead try to perfect the skills he does have and see if it’s enough to get him over the line. Trying to learn new tricks he isn’t cut out for is a waste of his time. Whether his oshi is sufficient to make the step up remains to be seen, but he won’t make it trying to be the next Chiyonofuji. An athlete must find his own way to the top.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are very astute comments. You've actually changed my mind about his lack of yotsu weaponry. He could very well do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, very good comments about why Takakeisho is better off without belt sumo. I don't actually doubt his ability to make it to Yokozuna, especially with the current competition. But I'm more concerned about how long would his Yokozuna tenure be as an oshi-zumo specialist. Oshi puts much more strain on the body and once his wrists or elbows go, he wouldn't be able to keep up Yokozuna-like performances and would have to retire early as opposed to hanging around in Makuuchi. A yotsu sumo Yokozuna would be able to compensate much longer. Of course any rikishi would probably take Yokozuna rank over ozeki, but as we saw with Kisenosato it can really turn out to be a monkey paw type of thing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ichinojo has gone back to weighting waiting out his opponents...  At least that looked to be the case today against Hidenoumi.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Takakeisho recently stated that he has no intention of adding a belt game to his repertoire, and that he has every intention of becoming the first exclusively oshi yokozuna.  

He went so far as to say he was grateful for his recent injury, as it showed him the folly of going away from what has gotten him here to begin with. 

Barring injury, my money is on him to make it. 

Yesterday against Okinoumi he went close to belt game and was lucky to come out of it unharmed. My money is on injury.

202001190000298-w200_16.jpgo 202001190000684-w200_0.jpgo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terunofuji marching on, now 9-0. That would be something if he went 15-0 in Juryo. I would also find it hard for the NSK to deny him promotion to makuuchi with that. Went back and checked the record books, no rikishi has ever returned to makuuchi after falling all the way to jonidan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Terunofuji marching on, now 9-0. That would be something if he went 15-0 in Juryo. I would also find it hard for the NSK to deny him promotion to makuuchi with that. Went back and checked the record books, no rikishi has ever returned to makuuchi after falling all the way to jonidan.

Ryuuden?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

Ryuuden?

Ryuden was in juryo when he was injured and had not gotten to makuuchi yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WAKATAKE said:

Ryuden was in juryo when he was injured and had not gotten to makuuchi yet. 

Good point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dingo said:

Yes, very good comments about why Takakeisho is better off without belt sumo. I don't actually doubt his ability to make it to Yokozuna, especially with the current competition. But I'm more concerned about how long would his Yokozuna tenure be as an oshi-zumo specialist. Oshi puts much more strain on the body and once his wrists or elbows go, he wouldn't be able to keep up Yokozuna-like performances and would have to retire early as opposed to hanging around in Makuuchi. A yotsu sumo Yokozuna would be able to compensate much longer. Of course any rikishi would probably take Yokozuna rank over ozeki, but as we saw with Kisenosato it can really turn out to be a monkey paw type of thing. 

The only thing that can make the one-trick-pony Takekisho a yokozuna is the current competition.   There is no quality competition once Kak and Hak hang up their mawashi.   I am glad I was part of enjoying the era of Hak, Kak, Kise, and Harumafuji all competing at the same time.   The new era once the last of the foursome goes, is a pitiful bunch in comparison.  The one exception would be this new fellow coming up from juryo ... I think his name is Terunofuji.   Oh, right.  He was a mere Ozeki during the era of the four Yokozuna.   :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kaio-2 Ryuden has the same crushing kotenage - Chiyotairyu of traditionally injury attracting Kokonoe-beya can say good-bye to kachi-koshi now - could be kyujo tomorrow, but we've seen headless walk again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Kaio-2 Ryuden has the same crushing kotenage - Chiyotairyu of traditionally injury attracting Kokonoe-beya can say good-bye to kachi-koshi now - could be kyujo tomorrow, but we've seen headless walk again.

I predicted Tsurugisho's kyujo and see what he is doing.   I hope Chiyotairyu is smarter than Tsurugishio, or Ikioi.   Will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great comeback from Asanoyama, what a throw !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well looks like we're going to have another Ozeki demotion for Haru. That would mean only 1 ozeki and probably an extended sanyaku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

The only thing that can make the one-trick-pony Takekisho a yokozuna is the current competition.   There is no quality competition once Kak and Hak hang up their mawashi.   I am glad I was part of enjoying the era of Hak, Kak, Kise, and Harumafuji all competing at the same time.   The new era once the last of the foursome goes, is a pitiful bunch in comparison.  The one exception would be this new fellow coming up from juryo ... I think his name is Terunofuji.   Oh, right.  He was a mere Ozeki during the era of the four Yokozuna.   :-P

There’s actually an intriguing storyline in there. Few think Terunofuji will make it back to the levels he was at before, but now I wonder if he may just have timed things perfectly, dropping down to the lower divisions and waiting out his rivals before climbing back up. If he can rediscover even 75% of his old talent, that might be enough to rise above the current crop once the Yokozuna have gone. Now I’m curious to see if he can exploit the lower standards to make it back to at least sanyaku, if not in fact even higher. That decision to fall down the ranks and recover may prove to be the ultimate long-game success story.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shodai looks so happy aha, I don't know if he is going to take the yusho but man it was so nice to see him like that

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amateurish mistake by Takakeisho at the edge, and he paid the price. Well, he is still quite young.

Lots of fun matches today, and the tournament is still as madcap as it was before. Cheers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

Well looks like we're going to have another Ozeki demotion for Haru. That would mean only 1 ozeki and probably an extended sanyaku

It looks bleak, doesn’t it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

It looks bleak, doesn’t it? 

It already did so when they were still ranked Ozeki.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eikokurai said:

It looks bleak, doesn’t it? 

Isn't there a rule thay says there should be at least two ozeki ? I don't remember what is the procedure when the situation happens and they can promote anyone ? I think one of the yokozuna is considered a special ozeki or something can anyone elaborate on that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now