robnplunder

Natsu basho 2019 discussions [SPOILERS]

7 minutes ago, sekihiryu said:

Asanoyama* yusho.

Shame to have a tainted maiden yusho.

Take nothing away from him. He’s two wins clear of his nearest challengers, so he’s won this legitimately. Okay, granted, it could still be a one win margin tomorrow, but I still think he’s done more than enough to say he’s won this championship on his own. Remember too that Kakuryu hasn’t had any bouts stolen from him, so even with Asanoyama’s dodgy day 13 win, Kakuryu wouldn’t have done enough to do anything but force a playoff tomorrow.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Oh, this is sooo much win.

- Tochinoshin back to Ozeki, looking much better than the other competing Ozeki.

- Asanoyama yusho, another promising, young japanese first time winner. This is good for sumo and i expect at least a small Asa-hype.

- No yusho-deciding bout for the special guests tomorrow. (will there be tweets about it being "unfair" that not the winner of the last bout gets the yusho?)

EDIT:

Now, that the torikumi is out...the cup will not only not go to the winner of the last bout, but to a guy they aren't even scheduled to see fighting. It's getting better and better.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1

I have new respect for Takasago oyakata (he may deserve some of the credit for Asashoryu's significant success, but with Asanoyama, he has proven again that he is a pretty damn good oyakata/coach).

My only question is whether Asanoyama will break his "no alcohol" vow during this tournament with a celebratory drink back at the stable tonight!?

2 minutes ago, Midoriyama said:

That was priceless! Like all of Tochi´s anger transformed to that henka. I just love it! Well deserved :)  

True, that is a well-canalized angry. Very, very focus.

I will add he was respectful, in his bodylanguage and attitude.

... But i wish never meet a man with this such angry eyes in a dark street. :-D

I know it’s a bit mean, but every time someone new has won a yusho in the past couple of years, I’ve thought ‘Poor Takayasu’. Despite beating Mitakeumi, Tochinoshin, Takakeisho, Tamawashi and now Asanoyama to Ozeki, he’s seen them all win a yusho before he’s managed it. (Injonokuchi...)

On a more immediate note, has there been talk of prizes yet? Could Asanoyama take all three? 

Edited by Eikokurai

Congratulation to Asanoyama , third young Japanese hope to get a yusho after Mitakeumi and Takakeisho ! I think it's good that a young Japanese rikishi wins the first basho of the reiwa era. I think we'll see more Japanese rikishi at the highest ranks this era.

On 24/05/2019 at 19:01, Eikokurai said:

Bloody hell. Asanoyama might actually win* the yusho.

*But with a permanent asterisk beside it explaining the Tochinoshin robbery.

25 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Take nothing away from him. He’s two wins clear of his nearest challengers, so he’s won this legitimately. Okay, granted, it could still be a one win margin tomorrow, but I still think he’s done more than enough to say he’s won this championship on his own. Remember too that Kakuryu hasn’t had any bouts stolen from him, so even with Asanoyama’s dodgy day 13 win, Kakuryu wouldn’t have done enough to do anything but force a playoff tomorrow. 

He earned the victory with a yorikiri against Goeido, so the change in opinion is understandable.

There's always the possibility of a surprise tournament victor in this 15 bout tournament format. I agree that Asanoyama did enough to win the whole thing, but honestly, there was a bit of good fortune involved too, I'd admit.

I've watched this a few times, and I am not at all going to say this was a fix, but I think Kakuryu knew the henka was coming, and he accepted it. He came in VERY low into a roll as if "this is how to make it look good without getting hurt".

No hesitation, no shock, no disappointment, just immediately a resigned "yep, I figured that was going to happen, ok fine".

I guess the only reason why there's still no published torikumi is they're debating whether to do the usual routine (Kakuryu-Goeido) or to cater for the special guest to actually see the yusho winner fight.

Edit: on the other hand, wouldn't they all look the same to Trump anyway?

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I guess the only reason why there's still no published torikumi is they're debating whether to do the usual routine (Kakuryu-Goeido) or to cater for the special guest to actually see the yusho winner fight.

Edit: on the other hand, wouldn't they all look the same to Trump anyway?

It would be nice for the fans to have Asanoyama fight Kakuryu. It would be an extreme break with tradition, but it would help give us some closure on whether he really "deserved" the yusho. (we'd all obviously be assuming the day 14 tochinoshin-kakuryu match would have been henka-free if the sumo association hadn't ruined everything)

Day 15 matchups are still not out. Will there be any desire to have yusho winner Asanoyama go up against lone Yokozuna Kakuryu?  In my mind, they will resort to a tradition-based Kakuryu v. Goeido and call it a day.  So who will Asanoyama face, and will he be showcased in the koreyori sanyaka final three bouts?  I would think that they would want to show him off to their honoured guest from the US of A, who as a uuuge fan of sumo has chosen to be in attendance for the last three bouts..

I see Rigel & Jakusotsu beat me to the punch on this one.  Sorry about that.  Put it down to great minds think alike, and mine is a little slower than most. ;-)

Edited by Amamaniac

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Day 15 matchups are still not out. Will there be any desire to have yusho winner Asanoyama go up against lone Yokozuna Kakuryu?  In my mind, they will resort to a traditional-based Kakuryu v. Goeido and call it a day.  So who will Asanoyama face, and will he be showcased in the koreyori sanyaka final three bouts?  I would think that they would want to show him off to their honoured guest from the US of A, who as a uuuge fan of sumo has chosen to be in attendance for the last three bouts..

Looks like I made it on your ignore list. B-)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Looks like I made it on your ignore list. B-)

I feel honoured that I am not on your ignore list. ;-)

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Fukuyamada said:

He earned the victory with a yorikiri against Goeido, so the change in opinion is understandable.

There's always the possibility of a surprise tournament victor in this 15 bout tournament format. I agree that Asanoyama did enough to win the whole thing, but honestly, there was a bit of good fortune involved too, I'd admit.

That wasn’t really a change in opinion. I knew other people would always put an asterisk beside his win if he won by a single bout. Also bear in mind what I said about Kakuryu. He hasn’t done enough to win, which is another reason to think Asanoyama did enough by himself without that dodgy call.

You may also like to check the post I wrote just four minutes after that first one you quoted.

Edited by Eikokurai

It's out now. Tradition trumps travesty.

• Like 1

Just now, Jakusotsu said:

It's out now. Tradition trumps travesty.

Makes a good headline with the 'T' in 'trumps' capitalised.

• Haha 1

As I've mentioned previously, I appreciate a good henka, and Tochinoshin's today was superlative on so many levels.

Congratulations to Asanoyama. Goeido's a proper ozeki these days, so that was a hatsu yusho well earned. I hope he can maintain this sort of form and become a sanyaku mainstay.

Just now, RabidJohn said:

As I've mentioned previously, I appreciate a good henka, and Tochinoshin's today was superlative on so many levels.

Congratulations to Asanoyama. Goeido's a proper ozeki these days, so that was a hatsu yusho well earned. I hope he can maintain this sort of form and become a sanyaku mainstay.

Asanoyama or Goeido? 

• Haha 2

Exactly the same happens today with Abi as it happened yesterday with Tochinoshin,  Abi is  winner. Abi deserved that win. As deserved yesterday Tochinoshin. Tochi  henkaed Kakuryu and he was right. If there is  unfairness  towards you, no one can expect, that you will be fair. What concerns to Asanoyama, well, he got yusho, but as of to me, he is a rabbit pulled by his ears to the top. That my opinion

• Like 1

Tomorrow Enho faces Shohozan. Can someone please ring the Port of Tyne Authority and warn them there may be a flood...:'-(

The taping today around his thigh will do nothing if it really is a hamstring injury. Taking Shimanoumi head on earlier may not have been the best tactic (can't fault his fighting spirit) , I fear he's only making things worse however...

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Akumazeki said:

Exactly the same happens today with Abi as it happened yesterday with Tochinoshin,  Abi is  winner. Abi deserved that win. As deserved yesterday Tochinoshin. Tochi  henkaed Kakuryu and he was right. If there is  unfairness  towards you, no one can expect, that you will be fair. What concerns to Asanoyama, well, he got yusho, but as of to me, he is a rabbit pulled by his ears to the top. That my opinion

I might be inclined to agree with you, but Asanoyama showed some solid sumo out there this tournament.  On top of that, he showed great composure by not letting at the pressure get to him and remaining confident even against the likes of Goeido.  Colour me impressed ... again.

Would the result have been different if Hakuho was competing?  Probably.  But most of us can sense that we can't always rely on him especially as his age is catching up with him.

That's my opinion.

Anyone who thinks Asanoyama's yusho will have an asterisk next to it... Asanoyama will get his portrait up in the KK and his name in the record books. In 12 months time only a small percentage of (mostly) foreign fans will remember what happened on day 13 of this basho in that bout. In five years time almost no-one will remember and in 10 years time it will just be that Asanoyama won as a Hiramaku rikishi. Beyond that he will just be a name in the record books recorded as a guy who won this particular yusho. Build a bridge and get over it.

• Like 6

So happy for Tochinoshin.

I also feel like he was so mad with the controversial lose, he was like 'you go all out to prevent me to make it back to ozeki even when I compete honorably, watch me now'.

Congratz Asanoyama. Now let's see what you can do against the best over 15 days.