Akinomaki

Nagoya 2023 discussion (results)

7 hours ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

Mitakeumi looks ready to retire.

I'm guessing that the death of his father earlier this month is a factor (quite possibly a significant one), in addition to other things already mentioned here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sumojoann said:

I was surprised to see the flying zabuton. 

This was the first time I have detected a hint of snark in a Japanese audience.

3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Am I the only one with a bit of sympathy for Inosuke? Dude's had a stroke.

He should retire if he can no longer perform his duties.

32 minutes ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

No longer? Could he ever properly perform his duties?

• Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 10:10, Yamanashi said:

The slippiotoshi cavalcade continues, being disguised as "wily hitakikomi" or "forceful tsukiotoshi".  I will remember Nagoya 2023 as Sumo On Ice.

Seems like something along these lines is said almost every basho. Time to put some soccer cleats on these big boys.

The slipping is especially bad this basho. It always is in Nagoya but this is maybe the worst I've seen it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, #1HENKAFAN said:

The slipping is especially bad this basho. It always is in Nagoya but this is maybe the worst I've seen it.

It's Always Slippy in Nagoya

You would think that as everybody knows this the guys might try to adapt. A tennis player moving from grass to clay will adjust his style accordingly. Jockeys riding on dirt will place their horses closer to the leaders as it's harder to make up late ground than it is on turf. Maybe sekitori should try to stay more upright and flat-footed on the Nagoya skating rink.

• Like 2

To be fair to Inosuke, he usually does submit an offer to retire at least once per basho. Not is fault that the Kyokai never accepts it. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Yeah, but you know exactly how unpredictable the conditions in Nagoya can be. One step you have quite sure footing, next step the dohyo simulates an ice channel and off you go *WHEEEEEEE*

At least the dohyo is still in one piece this year.

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

You would think that as everybody knows this the guys might try to adapt. A tennis player moving from grass to clay will adjust his style accordingly. Jockeys riding on dirt will place their horses closer to the leaders as it's harder to make up late ground than it is on turf. Maybe sekitori should try to stay more upright and flat-footed on the Nagoya skating rink.

I've been thinking that the slippery dohyo might explain the drought of henka this time. Last basho was the single most henka by sekitori ever recorded iirc and now this basho I have only seen one or two at all. Add in all the injured names and this has been one bizarre basho. I'm suffering over here without my favorite move. I need a mighty Chiyoshoma henka to cleanse my palette!

Edited by #1HENKAFAN
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, #1HENKAFAN said:

I've been thinking that the slippery dohyo might explain the drought of henka this time. Last basho was the single most henka by sekitori ever recorded iirc and now this basho I have only seen one or two at all. Add in all the injured names and this has been one bizarre basho. I'm suffering over here without my favorite move. I need a mighty Chiyoshoma henka to cleanse my palette!

Kiho had a pretty solid one today in Juryo.

40 minutes ago, just_some_guy said:

He's had a couple of excellent ones this basho

6 hours ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

There was a gyoji years ago who couldn't perform his duties due to ill health and they gave him a "temporary leave of absence" which ended up being permanent. His name stayed on the banzuke but he never came back. 

Edited by ryafuji

1 hour ago, just_some_guy said:

21 minutes ago, Reonito said:

He's had a couple of excellent ones this basho

A lot of those Miyagino boys are liable to henka. Enho, Ishiura, Hokaho, Hokuseiho, etc. I doubt Hakuho is the kind of coach that would discourage his students from using it, to say the least. And Kiho's henka on Tsushimanada was a fine one indeed. The way his hands touch Tsushimanada for a mere split second before pulling to the side was very matador-esque!

It was very weird interruption to the bout. Was the mavashi loose to be begin with and why Midorifuji was given more deeper grip? In Mongolian wrestling there was a short lived rule according to which, if wrestlers were taking too long, one of them would be given a grip around the waist. It was cancelled because it gave too much advantage. After that grip given to Midorifuji ozeki had no chance. 

Edited by BuBa

At the bottom of Makushita, Tochiseiryu now sits at 5-0.

He's previously had FIVE yusho deciders at 6-0, but lost every time - I think queries showed this to be a record. Is this finally his basho to go all the way?

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BuBa said:

It was very weird interruption to the bout. Was the mavashi loose to be begin with and why Midorifuji was given more deeper grip? In Mongolian wrestling there was a short lived rule according to which, if wrestlers were taking too long, one of them would be given a grip around the waist. It was cancelled because it gave too much advantage. After that grip given to Midorifuji ozeki had no chance. 

Sadogatake ordered Inosuke to give Midorifuji that grip, they check the stance before the stop and try to recreate it. Midorifuji apparently had that deep grip on a loose mawashi and then was awarded one at a tight mawashi.

Lesson learned today for Hakuoho: how to lose after pulling a henka.

Inosuke was surprisingly properly doing his kaobure duties from day 2 to 13 on most days so far - days 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8, but after yesterdays strain of course took a break today.

Edited by Akinomaki

23 hours ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

Mitakeumi looks ready to retire.

I found it bizarre that his only win has come from the highest ranked rikishi this basho. But I guess that says more about Kirishima's condition than Mitakeumi's. 

On 07/07/2023 at 13:01, Akinomaki said:

Today is Tanabata day and as usual in Nagoya, a tanabata wish tree with rikishi wishes for the basho (or otherwise) is put up in the basho entrance hall

Shishi wrote his wish in Ukrainian (no translation given by Nikkan)

202307170000175-w200_2.jpgo

He depends on his tsukebito Saidaiji for interpretation and talk to the press, because his Japanese is still shaky. Saidaiji doesn't understand Ukrainian though, only knows a few words by now - he translates by feeling what Shishi wants to tell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Shishi wrote his wish in Ukrainian (no translation given by Nikkan)

"Хочу секитори стать сильнее". A bit strange grammatically, but should be translated as "I want to become a stronger sekitori".

Also, it is Russian, not Ukrainian.

• Thanks 2