Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

Quite an article on the present and future and a bit of the past.

Seems to be based on one visit to a stable and an interview with the oyakata, plus readily available background stuff. And the dead silence of the final sonkyo in the photo is misrepresented as the oyakata giving a lecture to his deshi.

And the dead silence of the final sonkyo in the photo is misrepresented as the oyakata giving a lecture to his deshi.

You're being very pedantic there.

What I like about that picture is even though ex-Akinoshima is only seen from behind he's instantly recognisable due to that trademark cauliflower ear!

http://cnngo.com/tokyo/play/just-pigs-coll...est-hour-004432

"For without the sumo spirit, Akinoshima says, sitting on the edge of his practice dohyo watching his athletes ram into each other, 'all this is nothing more than pigs colliding'."

A harsh statement but very sobering & true.

On a different note, Celeborn who was/is a writer for Le Monde du Sumo hasn't been on the forum in some time. Does anyone please know how to contact him?

Thank you.

Asahi editorial- I'd read it if I were you. OTOH, I'd probably do a lot of other stuff if I were you, so maybe not.

This should be interesting... Getting the NSK to pull that kind of reform might be only slightly easier than reforming the Gun Laws in the USA. I can see more than one Oyakata paraphrasing the Great Late Charlton Heston's line, something about "... over my dead body..." or "...from my cold, dead hands..." or something like that.

But it's true. The old axiom that "just because you are/were good at something doesn't mean you can teach it" holds firm here.

If baseball held to its purist's past, there would be no gloves (or "barn doors in the outfield", as one coach called them), all pitches would be underhand, the batter could actually call for a specific pitch, no Designated Hitter, and only one umpire.

Indeed, there would be no American-Style football as we know it, because there would be no forward pass. Indeed, indeed, there would be no football/rugby because you couldn't pick up the ball with your hands....

There would be no Player's Union, because all owners of every team (no matter what sport) would own the players outright and dictate their fates accordingly.

If push comes to shove, this is going to the Courts. Changes like this will not come easily. Or anytime soon.

But we already know that.

True. And in the same Vein, how is it possible to evaluate current Oyakatas on their coaching and leadership methods? I'm sure there are many who are successful at their jobs, but then you have the other guys....

It's one thing to have heyas organized into ichimons, but another to regulate the training and education of the guys in each stable. Of course, this is where the Ministry of Education should take a vital role.

It won't happen. Unless someone far above the NSK decrees it into action. And even then...

Whenever any government gets their hands into something, it ends up worse than it was in the beginning. In my opinion, there were serious issues, they've been addressed, it's time to move forward. :-P

Very interesting and ever growing discussion about role of oyakata and ways the system works now has it's own thread. Douzo.

SUMO SCRIBBLINGS

NSK gets a glimpse of a (potentially) bright future

By MARK BUCKTON

Special to The Japan Times Online

In May the English soccer team Manchester United won their 19th English league championship to date

I know Oikari oyakata is not "stablemaster".

We all have that problem with editors who think they know better. (Exclamation...)

Orion, getting back into harness

Why should they translate it at all? There really is no satisfactory English equivalent. (And "stable" for "heya" is odious anyway.)

Why should they translate it at all? There really is no satisfactory English equivalent. (And "stable" for "heya" is odious anyway.)

The proper English translation is "stable."

stable n.

3. A group, as of athletes or entertainers, under common management: a stable of prizefighters.

From Rooney's Boxing Gym homepage:

"John Rooney Jnr is one the UK's most highly respected and talented professional boxing coaches.. . . Besides being a British Boxing Board of Control licensed trainer, John is also a licensed agent and manager. His current stable of boxers includes; British Featherweight Champion Martin 'Mac Man' Lindsay, former British, Commonwealth and WBU International Cruiserweight Champion Bruce 'Lionheart' Scott, Darren 'Mr R&B' Hamilton, Ben 'The Entertainer' Day, Karol 'Dr' Ozimkowski, Vinny & Scott Woolford, Ian Timms and Paul Lowe."

Which now makes me wonder if Kuroyama would find "Dewanoumi gym" any more acceptable than "Dewanoumi stable"... (I am not worthy...)

Thank you all for the links, much appreciated :) can you believe i missed the first day? for some insane reason i was convinced the tournament was starting one day after it actually did start, so i missed the dohyo iri and everything, oh well, on the plus side i did manage to see a few matches on youtube, hopefully i won't miss any more :)

The proper English translation is "stable."

stable n.

3. A group, as of athletes or entertainers, under common management: a stable of prizefighters.

From Rooney's Boxing Gym homepage:

"John Rooney Jnr is one the UK's most highly respected and talented professional boxing coaches.. . . Besides being a British Boxing Board of Control licensed trainer, John is also a licensed agent and manager. His current stable of boxers includes; British Featherweight Champion Martin 'Mac Man' Lindsay, former British, Commonwealth and WBU International Cruiserweight Champion Bruce 'Lionheart' Scott, Darren 'Mr R&B' Hamilton, Ben 'The Entertainer' Day, Karol 'Dr' Ozimkowski, Vinny & Scott Woolford, Ian Timms and Paul Lowe."

I for one have never understood this "stable is such an inept translation for heya" thing that I've seen so many times. The definition you've quoted seems absolutely fine to me.

I must have missed this before. I certainly never saw it in the real Japan Times.

For a man who says he's never watched sumo. he seems to be remarkably well-informed (though a lot of the conclusions he draws are false or at least debatable). Google seach? doesn't look like it.

Just who is really behind this?

Orion (Welcome...)