Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

5 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

Yeah that's what I was wondering. Based on recent results/banzukes (I've only been regularly watching tournaments since July 2018) I thought I'd noticed actual losses being rated higher than absences. I could absolutely be wrong. 

It’s definitely happened in the past couple of years with Hakuho, Kakuryu and Kisenosato (possibly also Harumafuji) but I’d need to look into it. I remember this being discussed here for sure. Probably happened with Ozeki a whole bunch of times too for that matter.

Edited by Eikokurai

1 minute ago, Houmanumi said:

Yeah that's what I was wondering. Based on recent results/banzukes (I've only been regularly watching tournaments since July 2018) I thought I'd noticed actual losses being rated higher than absences. I could absolutely be wrong. 

There was the case in Kyushu 2018 where Kisenosato having zero wins before pulling out was ranked ahead of Hakuho and Kakuryu who sat out the entire basho. I am genuinely curious whether same number of wins but more appearances will be considered better this time.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Asanoyama's 10-5 (at M2) in Aki was a five-way tie for third in a honbasho with both Y's and an O out of action

If we wait for a basho with a fully fit roster of Y & O competing all 15 days we are going to be waiting for a very long time.

• Like 1