Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Bench World Cup 2014

Trivia time...like in the last tournament, a few pairings have worked out so that players will see both their R's and C's meet simultaneously for added suspense. These are:

Round 1:

(Group F) R's Nigeria (Leonishiki) vs Iran (Kaiomitsuki), with (Group G) C's Germany vs Portugal, and vice versa

(Group G) R's Germany (Pitinosato) vs Portugal (kuroimori), with (Group F) C's Nigeria vs Iran

Round 2:

(Group A) R's Croatia (Jakusotsu) vs Cameroon (Fujiyama), with (Group E) C's France vs Switzerland, and vice versa

(Group E) R's France (Furanohana) vs Switzerland (Chijanofuji), with (Group A) C's Croatia vs Cameroon

In addition, in Group C we have Japan (Maguroyama) and Côte d'Ivoire (Pandaazuma) which are each other's complements when they meet in Round 1.

A few more were once again prevented by the schedule:

Brazil-Cameroon (A, 3) <-> France-Honduras (E, 1)

Brazil-Croatia (A, 1) <-> Switzerland-Honduras (E, 3)

Spain-Australia (B, 3) <-> Belgium-Algeria (H, 1)

Edited by Asashosakari

Round 1 Group C

I will edit the matchups whenever new scores are available, giving a minute-by-minute (or rather day-by-day) comment.

shimodahito 0 0 Jejima
Belgium Tue Sun France
Argentina Mon Sat Colombia
Switzerland Sun Mon Germany
Colombia ® Sat Sun Switzerland
Portugal Mon Sun England ©
Ghana © Tue Sun Ivory Coast
Greece Sat Wed South Korea
South Korea Wed Mon Bosnia
Croatia Thu Tue Algeria
Costa Rica Sat Sat Greece ®

COMMENTS
shimodahito: My lower M pick Costa Rica roster plays league in Spain, USA, Belgium, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Greece, Netherlands, Russia. This round faith pick: Switzerland. This round no faith pick: Croatia. With Jejima's Hong Kong time zone, I hope to catch him sleeping.
Jejima: I don't seem to have much faith in either of my special teams..... Hopefully that will change for round 2!
Refioji: Jejima's squad may strike first as it sees a lot of action on the weekend while shimodahito has quite a few teams playing next week (somewhat contradicting his comment ;-) )

Pandaazuma 0 0 Maguroyama
Belgium Tue Tue Belgium
Argentina Mon Mon Argentina
Nigeria Mon Sat Chile
Japan © Sun Tue USA
Ivory Coast ® Sun Sun Ivory Coast ©
England Sun Mon Iran
Ecuador Sun Sun Japan ®
Netherlands Fri Mon Portugal
South Korea Wed Sat Australia
Algeria Tue Mon Bosnia

COMMENTS
Pandaazuma: Hmmm...my opponent has a slight advantage here in that his komusubi (Chile) has a freebie while mine (Netherlands) will struggle against Spain so I need Nigeria to win or draw, most likely. Also weird that my opponents R and C picks are the exact opposites of mine (in the very first game), and that they're likely to be around the 4 and 5 spots...so I'm gambling on a draw or win for Japan and my opponent having IC at 4 so I can break his chain. Now watch me get this spectacularly wrong! Good luck, Maguroyama!
Maguroyama: No comment.
Refioji: Maguroyama and Pandaazuma have identical teams in the first two positions, so Chile's placment on third might indeed become a winner.
  • Like 2

Sorry, forgot to comment, OK if I do it here?

(Not waiting for a reply)

Trickiness right from the start with the IC-Japan game! A draw seems most likely, but Japan could very well win. As could IC... Iran is my dark horse!

Good luck, Pandaazuma!

• Like 1

Wow...can't compete with Doitsuyama's fabulous tables, but I will be doing daily updates for my lads, too.

I have received all line-ups for Group G but one of them contains errors so please wait a little until that is sorted out.

Group B Round 1 line-ups

Well, hardly more than 24 hours to the kick-off. I hope the game will go smoothly. Even if I haven't got the slightest idea of result counting. :D But hopefully I can manage it, learning how colleagues do.

chishafuwaku

1. France

It´s not time to put my ® country in best position ? I guess not... Spain is dangerous...

Between me and KikoCookie there are only two entries equal: Portugal and Greece.

So it will be very difficult to predict the outcome of our meeting.

Nevertherless...

The entry in her lower positions must be 10. Bosnia, 9. Croatia, 8. Algeria, 7.Grécia (I believe that Colombia is 1.) and maybe 6. Cameroon.

After that, if Kiko does not believe in Cristiano Ronaldo, 5. Portugal (but you will see Ronaldo will score)

Spain, Italy (against England) and Switzerland, in this order 2, 3, respectively?

If that is the case, the most important meeting will be Ecuador-Switzerland, which is my fourth and my ©.

Go Go Ecuador, you cannot fail... because there are France...

2. Brazil

3. Mexico

4. Ecuador ©

5. Japan

6. South Korea

7. Portugal

8. Greece

9. Netherlands ®

10. Iran

Fujiko

1. Brazil

Go! Go! Brazil!

2. England

3. Greece

4. Australia

5. Honduras

6. Russia

7. Mexico

8. Chile ®

9. France

10. Bosnia ©

KikoCookie

1. Spain ®

2. Switzerland

3. Colombia

4. Italy

5. Portugal

6. Greece

7. Croatia

8. Cameroon

9. Bosnia

10. Algeria ©

ScreechingOwl

1. Chile

My daughter certainly did better in pulling Spain than I did in getting stuck with Australia (who will be fortunate to get a goal, never mind a point), but I seem to have easier first day match ups. I'm sure that will change when we face each other!

(I hope ScreechingOwl doesn't mind I put this as a pre-basho, ...er..., pre-world cup comment - Nekonishiki)

2. Switzerland

3. Brazil

4. Belgium ©

5. Ivory Coast

6. Portugal

7. Greece

8. Honduras

9. Bosnia

10. Australia ®

It is (of course),

chishafuwaku vs KikoCookie

and

Fujiko vs ScreechingOwl

in the first round of matches.

I now have line-ups for 31 players (although I think Saruyama made a mistake, and so might need to resend - and Daineko only sent me 8 PK takers, so might want to send me 3 more....), and there is less than 24 hours before the deadline.

The player that I am waiting to hear from is:-

Kotononami

I will try and contact him (and also Daineko and Saruyama), otherwise he will be given the default line-up of the 10 teams in his squad (no 11th slot) in the order ®, ©, then highest ranked to the lowest.

Edited by Jejima

The player that I am waiting to hear from is:-

Kotononami

I think it's OK now ,

sorry for being late

OK, the Group G picks are in.

First up we have Pitinosato versus Kuroimori:

Pitinosato:

1. Uruquay

2. Switzerland

3. Germany ®

4. Colombia

5. Iran ©

6. Italy

7. South Korea

8. Greece

9. Croatia

10. Bosnia

Kuroimori:

1 Mexico
2 Brazil
3 Colombia
4 Nigeria ©
5 Russia
6 Ecuador
7 Italy
8 Portugal ®
9 Cameroon
10 Costa Rica

Comment:
Bom dia a todos! Boa sorte a este jogo espetucular!
Hello everyone! Good luck for this spectactular game!
Can't wait to kick some ball - and butts in the first round!

REFIOJI COMMENT:

Interesting bit of risk-taking from Kuroimori here as he fancies Mexico ahead of Brazil...that could backfire spectacularly if Cameroon perform. There's also an interesting (almost) head-to-head in the four and five slots with the Iran-Nigeria match that could prove decisive if it's not a draw.

And our other match-up is Kamogawa versus Domichi:

Kamogawa:

1. Brazil

2. Italy

3. Ghana ®

4. Ivory Coast

5. Cameroon

6. Colombia ©

7. England

8. USA

9. Japan

10. Costa Rica

Domichi:

1. Uruguay ©
2. Brazil
3. Belgium
4. Mexico
5. Colombia
6. USA ®
7. Russia
8. Iran
9. Bosnia
10. South Korea

REFIOJI COMMENT:

With Domichi's top three all looking likely winners, Kamogawa will be desperately hoping that Italy don't slip up against England and that Ghana beat the USA...both of those matches are potential banana skins.

Good luck to all the players!

I need a little help.

How can I paste a picture in the thread?

Do I have to send it (download) it somewhere, from where to paste it?

I'd greatly appreciate your help.

2014-BWC-GrA-R1-start_zps1536bdb4.png

Edited by Achiyama

I need a little help.

How can I paste a picture in the thread?

Do I have to send it (download) it somewhere, from where to paste it?

I'd greatly appreciate your help.

I fugured out :)

Good day all,

ROUND 1 GROUP E... and this rookie gyoji/refyoji is going to follow some of the other gyojis and use this game as a training ground for using features of this forum. The Refyoji is researching fine craft beer from each team to see what will be sipped during celebration.

Refyoji says: In this round we have CHABONOWAKA vs CHIJANOFUJI. Both have Netherlands and Uruguay on their squads but placed in different positions. However, they've both placed their ® team (ECU & SUI) in the #4 slot which also happens to be the real round 1 match on the pitch. Other key World Cup matches that affect both players' teams are. BRA vs CRO, MEX vs CMR, and IRI vs NGR.

Chabonowaka says: i'm back, and i'm serious about defending my championship, so watch out chijanofuji, i'm coming at you! go me!

Chijanofuji says: I have been watching quite a few friendly (preparation) matches over the last few weeks and most of the favored teams appeared to be hopelessly out of form! Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, Belgium, France, Italy, England, Portugal and the Netherlands all played some extremely poor football and have been struggling (though most of the time nevertheless winning) against potentially much weaker opponents, but hopefully many of them will be able to hit their stride just in time when the going gets tough and the first round of the World Cup gets underway. If not, we could see many more upsets than you and I would think possible! Good luck to my honorable opponent chabonowaka, who appears to have 6 potential winning teams in round one, compared to my 5. But that's only if all my predictions pan out, which they rarely do....

Refyoji says: Here are the official line ups honoring official country names.

..........CHABONOWAKA.........................CHIJANOFUJI..........

BRA.....República Federativa do Brasil...1...República Argentina.......................ARG

Day 1: BRA gives Chabonowaka a win in his top slot and praise for the officiating.

Day 4: ARG = 3 for 3 winning picks for Chijanofuji and he celebrates with an Argentinean craft -- Antares Imperial Stout.

RESULTS: Both picks win, neither chain broken: Chabonowaka 0 - 0 Chijanofuji. (Day 4)

URU.....República Oriental del Uruguay...2...République française......................FRA

Day 3: Chabonowaka's confidence slips.

Day 4: FRA gives Chijanofuji his 2nd win of the day and he reaches for a French craft -- Etienne Dupont Organic Cidre Bouché Brut de Normandie.

RESULTS: Chabonowaka pick loses, chain broken. Chijanofuji pick wins, continues: Chabonowaka 0 - 1 Chijanofuji. (Day 4)

MEX...........Estados Unidos Mexicanos...3...República Oriental del Uruguay............URU

Day 2: MEX's win has Chabonowaka feeling confident.

Day 3: The URU loss has Chijanofuji smiling because he put them at #3, while his opponent put them at #2. But if the match reaches the #3 picks, Chabonowaka would win so he pours a fine Mexican craft -- Minerva Imperial Tequila Ale.

RESULTS: Chabonowaka pick wins. Chijanofuji pick loses, chain broken: Chabonowaka 0 - 1 Chijanofuji. GAME OVER. (Day 4)

ECU............República del Ecuador ®...4...® Confoederatio Helvetica.................SUI

Day 4: The ECU-SUI match on the pitch replicates the line-up head-to-head. Chijanofuji pours a Swiss craft -- Bier Factory Rapperswil XXA Xtra Bitter.

ITA................Repubblica italiana...5...Federal Republic of Nigeria...............NGR

Day 3: Good news for Chabonowaka, but only if his chain isn't broken by his #2 pick.

Day 5: Chijanofuji is still celebrating and missed NGR's draw.

USA...........United States of America...6...Nederland.................................NED

Day 2: Chijanofuji gets a win on his line-up, but not high enough to celebrate.

Day 5: Chabonowaka's USA win gives him a #5 through #8 win streak -- wrong place in the line-up.

SUI............Confoederatio Helvetica...7...الجمهورية الجزائرية الديمقراطية الشعبية....ALG

Day 4: The SUI win is too low in the line-up for Chabonowaka to celebrate.

Day 6: The ALG loss was correctly placed in the line up.

NED........................Nederland ©...8...République du Cameroun....................CMR

Day 2: A NED win and CMR loss has Chabanowaka pouring a Dutch craft -- Rooie Dop Double Oatmeal Stout Bourbon Barrel.

IRI............جمهوری اسلامی ایران..-..x...9...© Republika Hrvatska......................CRO

Day 1: Chijanofuji curses the bad calls during the match but his CRO pick may have been placed too low in the line-up to make a difference.

Day 5: Chabonowaka is working on the next round line-ups and missed IRI's draw.

KOR............................대한민국...10...Босна и Херцеговина.......................BIH

Day 4: Chijanofuji celebrates the BIH loss because ARG was his #1 pick.

Day 6: KOR's tie would not have helped Chabonowaka.

Refyoji says: In this round we have ACHIYAMA vs FURANOHANA. Both have Brazil and Ecuador and France and Nigeria! on their squads but placed in different positions. Key World Cup matches that affect both players' teams are. BRA vs CRO, MEX vs CMR, CRC vs URU, and FRA vs HON.

Achiyama says: Good Luck!

Furanohana says: Thanks!

..........ACHIYAMA..............................FURANOHANA..........

FRA...............République française...1...República Federativa do Brasil.............BRA

Day 1: BRA gives Furanohana a win in the top slot and placed higher than opponent -- worth a Brazilian craft -- Colorado Vixnu Imperial IPA.

Day 4: FRA equalizes the #1 picks but Achiyama refrains from celebrating as his #5 pick, Nigeria, must lose.

RESULTS: Both picks win, neither chain broken: Achiyama 0 - 0 Furanohana. (Day 4)

BRA...República Federativa do Brasil ©...2...República de Chile.........................CHI

Day 1: Achiyama is OK with BRA win, but a loss and FRA win could have given him the match.

Day 2: CHI gives Furanohana even more confidence -- pours a Chilean craft -- Quimera Imperial Stout, and hopes for a FRA loss.

RESULTS: Achiyama © pick wins, continues. Furanohana pick wins, continues: Achiyama 0 - 0 Furanohana. (Day 4)

URU.....República Oriental del Uruguay...3...Federal Republic of Nigeria................NGR

Day 3: The first red in a top 3 pick is not good news for Achiyama.

Day 5: The first draw -- and both players have NGR in their line-ups! It's time to check Jejima's charts to figure out broken chains.

RESULTS: Achiyama pick loses, chain broken. Furanohana pick draws, continues: Achiyama 0 - 0 Furanohana. (Day 5)

COL..............República de Colombia...4...® République française.....................FRA

Day 3: Achiyama wishing he would have switched his #3 and #4 pick.

Day 4: FRA equalizes the #4 picks but Furanohana refrains from celebrating as his #3 pick, Nigeria, must win.

RESULTS: Achiyama pick wins. Furanohana ® pick wins, continues: Achiyama 0 - 1 Furanohana. (Day 5)

NGR........Federal Republic of Nigeria...5...日本......................................JPN

Day 3: I'm sure everyone on the forum was cheering for JPN....not just Furanohana.

Day 5: The first draw -- and both players have NGR in their line-ups! It's time to check Jejima's charts to figure out broken chains.

RESULTS: Achiyama pick draws. Furanohana pick loses, chain broken: Achiyama 0 - 1 Furanohana. GAME OVER. (Day 5)

RUS...............Российская Федерация...6...© République du Cameroun...................CMR

Day 2: CMR is the 2nd loss for Furanohana, but both losses are in the bottom half of his line-up, so not worried.

Day 6: RUS adds to Achiyama's team of draws.

MEX...........Estados Unidos Mexicanos...7...República del Ecuador......................ECU

Day 2: Win #2 for Achiyama, but may not make a difference this low in his line-up.

Day 4: ECU loses for Furanohana, which causes Achiyama to pour a Mexican craft -- Calavera Mexican Imperial Stout -- in celebration of the first head-to-head win.

ECU..............República del Ecuador...8...República Portuguesa.......................POR

Day 4: Achiyama is not concerned with this ECU loss.

Day 5: Furanohana was wise to put POR low on his line-up.

KOR............................대한민국...9...República de Costa Rica....................CRC

Day 3: CRC gives Furanohana a glorious, yet unexpected win -- will this #9 pick make a difference?

Day 6: KOR adds to Achiyama's team of draws.

HON...........República de Honduras ®...10...Republika Hrvatska.........................CRO

Day 1: Furanohana is happy with the CRO loss as BRA was #1 in his line-up.

Day 4: Achiyama is not concerned with this HON loss.

I will try to post/edit in updates as the results stream in...

-shimodahito

Edited by shimodahito

I have now received PK takers from all 32 players. Saruyama redid his, and so has a complete roster of 11. Daineko still needs to send me three more - if he misses the deadline, I'll just add his first three yet unpicked from his real squad using the 'drone rules', so that we all have 11.

Group F matches!

Okay, so some of these postings are giving me a little bit of an inferiority complex here. I have no idea how to make these fancy table thingys. So the best I can do is update my photo to be more World Cup appropriate. I apologize to group F for the simplistic nature of these match postings.

Kotonami vs Kintamayama

Kotonami:
1.France, 2.Argentina ®, 3.Russia, 4.Mexico, 5.Ecuador, (X) 6.Greece, 7.Portugal, 8.Costa Rica ©, 9.Netherlands, 10.South Korea
vs
Kintamayama:
1.Uruguay, 2.Chile ©, 3.Mexico, 4.Brazil, 5.Russia, (X) 6.Greece, 7.Italy, 8.South Korea, 9.Bosnia ®, 10.Algeria

Referee comments: With Greece in the same spot, there are only 9 match-ups in this bout. We have an R vs C match in spot 2, which could have some interesting results. I, however, think the action could go all the way to spot 7. But I am notoriously wrong when it comes to World Cup predictions.

Kaiomitsuki vs Leonishiki

Kaiomitsuki: "Hola ! la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la... la la la ... la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la..." (Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, colombian philosopher)

1.France, 2.Uruguay, 3.Mexico, 4.Germany ©, 5.Netherlands, 6.Japan, 7.South Korea, 8.Greece, 9.Iran ®, 10.Bosnia
vs
Leonishiki: "Let's go for my first win in this championship!! Go Nigeria!!!"
1.Nigeria ®, 2.Chile, 3.Brazi,l 4.Switzerland, 5.Ivory Coast, 6.Ghana, 7.Italy, 8.Costa Rica, 9.Cameroon, 10.Portugal ©

Referee comments: Kaiomitsuki and Leonishiki are a bit more vocal in their entries. Leonishiki seems to be going for a bit of a gamble puting his R team right out front. Very aggressive playing style there. Hopefully for him Nigeria doesn't draw against Iran, as I do not expect France to lose or draw.

Good luck to all my group F people. (If I have made any mistakes, please let me know.)

Saruyama (THE monkey referee)

Saruyama: the only error I saw was the spelling of Kotononami's name! Unless there is another player called kotonami?? ;)

Shimodahito...you are not Group C refioji, I think...that is my group reffed by Doitsuyama! ;)

Shimodahito...you are not Group C refioji, I think...that is my group reffed by Doitsuyama! ;)

Shimodahito is my Refiogi. I am in Group E. :)

Achiyama

An ingenious way to make it as difficult as possible for me to import the player lineups for the sansho calculation, many thanks for that... Edited by Asashosakari

Saruyama: the only error I saw was the spelling of Kotononami's name! Unless there is another player called kotonami?? ;)

D'oh!!

My apologies to Kotononami, I didn't even notice I'd left out the 'no' in the middle. Will not happen again. I promise.

Saruyama (THE embarassed monkey)

• Like 1

Refioji chabonowka here with your Group D Matchups:

Daineko (Uruguay) vs Terarno (Costa Rica)

Daineko: 1. Brazil, 2. Uruguay®, 3. USA©, 4. Switzerland, 5. South Korea, 6. Spain, 7. Italy, 8. Costa Rica, 9. Netherlands, 10. South Korea

vs.

Terarno: 1. Argentina©, 2. Colombia, 3. Switzerland, 4. Ghana, 5. Belgium, 6. Ivory Coast, 7. England, 8. Costa Rica®, 9. South Korea, 10. USA

and

Saruyama (England) vs Harumataikai (Italy)

Saruyama: 1. Brazil, 2. Belgium, 3. Mexico, 4. Japan, 5. Nehterlands, 6. Ecuador, 7. Australia, 8. Iran, 9. Greece©, 10. England®

vs.

Harumataikai: 1. Colombia, 2. Germany, 3. South Korea©, 4. Ecuador, 5. England, 6. USA, 7. Ivory Coast, 8. Switzerland, 9. Italy®, 10. Iran

Harumataikai comment: First match against Saruyama and his 'english' team. FORZA ITALIA even if I'm not so confident for their win against the english. Good luck to everyone and many thanks to the refiojis and to the rijicho for this game!

refioji comment: i'm not really knowledgeable enough about World Cup to comment intelligently, so i'll just say that after my home country of the USA, the Uruguayan fellow at work has me pulling for them to win the whole thing. he has this whole spiel on the heritage of the World Cup and how other countries got good after stealing all the Uruguayans. it's really very heartfelt, so i go with it.

good luck group D!

and for heavens sake, group D people make sure i didn't get anything wrong!

Daineko: 1. Brazil, 2. Uruguay®, 3. USA©, 4. Switzerland, 5. South Korea, 6. Spain, 7. Italy, 8. Costa Rica, 9. Netherlands, 10. South Korea

Something is amiss here. That lineup has South Korea twice, and it has Spain which Daineko doesn't have available. Ecuador and Ivory Coast are missing.

it's a good thing you're paying attention, it seems neither Daineko nor i are! i had communications with him about some troubles with his lineup, but i corrected him incorrectly. i think at this point i have to use drone rules to complete his lineup, but i am going to attempt to get his lineup just in case.

deepest apologies to everyone, my gyoji'ing isn't off to a very hot start.

Jezz,

I wonder whether you mentioned in some of your threads (there were so many) about Arbi-Refiojis (Arbitration+Referees+Gyojis).

I assume Asashosakari will be one of them (if he is willing to do it), so if some of the Refiojis are not sure they can consult with them before posting the Standings. And also the Arbi-Refiojis will confirm whether the Standings are right.

Consider them as second pairs of eyes.

Would you, please, tell us who the Arbi-Refiojis will be for 2014-BWC.

Achiyama

Edited by Achiyama