Asojima

Video Stream - Availability

UBS OFF-Air at the moment (would be the end of makuuchi).

Edited by Akinomaki

I used thaws files for niji and njiji is working on my XP SP3 system.

My friend has Mac and Niji downloaded from iTunes doesn't work. Any suggestion how to make it work or some other stream app that work for mac and to see sumo ?

NIJI shows a notice for an upgrade. Pushing the upgrade button (the left one in the buttons list of the top bar) would do that, but would it make NIJI better or worse?

Just before the basho I hesitate to try it.

Any ideas?

Starting NIJI again now demands the upgrade - it worked, but sound and vision are not in sync and it stutters.

NHK Educational's "Kyou no Ryouri" special on chanko nabe is on right now.

Before that Isegahama-beya's makuuchi rikishi (without Terunofuji) and the oyakata in a quiz show on Fuji TV was perfect. Since NIJI usually stops after 2 hours at my place, I restarted it, thinking it would again only show the notice and not force the upgrade.

Like on the 31st the 2nd run is bad - then TV Tokyo's song festival just went down as Ikioi was on.

Edited by Akinomaki

The Niji upgrade is working on Win 7 and Win 8.1. A system reboot was needed to get it plugged in right. My last XP computer has been retired, so I don't know about XP workability.

NHK is running with a 6 minute delay on Niji.

The new UBS is working sometimes. It usually shuts down at about 3AM and comes back up at about 10 or 11 AM (Mongolian time). Don't panic if it is not up. Its availability has been close to a coin flip lately.

Edited by Asojima

The NIJI update worked fine for me too. Well, after closing the programme after the first run my system went black and unrespnsive, but after a force reboot everything seems fine now.

They seem to have improved the bitrate/ quality of the streaming. Besides sumo I record the daily 15 min asa-dora on NHK. The previous recordings have a bitrate of between 560 to 590 kb/s. For todays episode after the upgrade I got 788 kb/s. The file size is of course equally larger, somewhere around 30%.

I think this is good news for us besides the bare fact that they are still there and not yet shut down.

@Akinomaki I Can't reproduce your 2 hrs problem.

Yay, Niji finally working again after update 2.1.2 here as well!

after a reboot this morning i get a different start

Niji.JPG

not speaking/reading japanese i do not know whats the problem

i also cannot log in with some kind of error message that i do not understand as it is in japanese

Apparently the guys at NIJI are going on to improve the video quality.

Today NHK was streamed at 1023 kb/s. They've changed the audio codec from mp3 at 64 kb/s (44.1 kHz) to a much better acc with 115 kb/s (48 kHz). Previously the video had a resolution of 640x480, now it's proper 720x400. No need to adjust the aspect ratio anymore. The picture looks really good now.

The only downside I noticed was that the stream was 7 minutes (!) behind instead of the usual 3 to 4 minutes.

I'm looking forward to watching the upcoming basho in this quality.

Edited by torquato

NIJI has a new annoying feature. If it cannot get data (downloaded 0%), though the connection is there and download speed is not 0, it immediately stops trying, showing a "Coming Soon" message. The version before had a "channel temporary not available" message, but after a few tries it nearly always worked. If a connection was there, NIJI then tried for a few minutes and usually got something after a while. This new version does not try and makes us try in vain for maybe hours.

The good thing: NIJI maybe only shows channels in perfect quality - but otherwise nothing.

Edit: now with download speed 0 and 0% downloaded it works like before: trying 1 or 2 minutes and then going to STOP (teishi) if it gets nothing. In that case it eventually connects - with the usual bad quality in such cases.

Edited by Akinomaki

ugh... and worse as more people try to view... that's what I get for sharing the link... :-O (In jonokuchi...)

Nice to se that Niji has improve the the quality (Sign of approval...) . Hopeful that Niji is working for every one now (Bow...)
Oppsss...Niji just turned/shut of for me...Any more who have this problem?
Niji working again, but is very choppy now and again...

Edited by sumodrax

Niji is not working well-no videos today. It's looping around, choppy and freezes. Maybe next time..

• Like 1

Niji 2.1.2 worked well for me today, better resolutuin than last times - a nice surprise. Very large delay from UBS, though.

They've even more increased the resolution today up to 1920x1080 and the bitrate up to 1500+ kb/s. Great. However, picture quality would be better with 720 at this bitrate. I wonder If the guys behind it actually know what they are doing... Either they are forced to use differend setups or they are just playing around.

For the rest I had the same problems like sumodrax and Kintamayama. Operation back to normal as to say. Quite unreliable. Up to half of makuuchi often choppy, skipping frames, etc. The latter part was streaming smoothly.

I hoped they had fixed these network problems with the last update. But alas...

As a reminder, NHK broadcasts a compact 20 min. replay of the makuuchi bouts at 3:40 a.m. JST at night (= 19:40 CET).

I just checked my recording from today - watching it on Niji was quite lousy, but the VLC raw input recording after my usual copy conversion was just about 14 minutes short and e. g. the 2nd half of the makuuchi dohyo-iri and the Ichinojo-Aminishiki bout were really smooth, no jumps, loops or stops like I had on Niji itself. The quality is just not as good as a good stream watched on Niji.

Edit: the buffer changed or keeps changing: the recording contains about 50 seconds before what I see when I start the recording, but only about 80 seconds after the point when I stop it. Before it were several minutes after stop.

Edited by Akinomaki

I guess it's my problem then. I couldn't get Niji to work for more than 10 minutes without it looping into what was on 5 minutes before. I think the problem is somewhere with the VLC, as without using it niji works OK. But on day 1 everything was fine..

I was watching Niji straight up and getting the same loop during the early matches. The problem is Niji's not VLC. UBS was weird in the early going too. The problem may have been closer to NHK than Niji or UBS.

I also had Niji doing the weird time loop, jumpy pixalation thing. Last night was my first time trying niji (just came back to live sumo and found out the stream is gone!), so hopefully that isnt a normal thing.

Right now Niji is shacking/hacking/Looping...Not a good start of todays sumo day-3 :-| (Eh?) (In jonokuchi...) . We se if it will be better soon .... !?!? ....
Any more who have this problem with Niji as it looping much today ??
Niji is realy looping and acting strange today, and no improvement so fare ...NOT GOOD!!!

Edited by sumodrax

Complete f### up today!

If I'm lucky I hear の対戦です 立会 の勝ち which translates to: "... 's fight...start...won", but usually it's just "well... err... it" without any picture.

PS: UBS isn't working either... bumper

Edited by torquato

I am getting clean uninterrupted sumo coverage on Niji on the lowest channel choice in its listing (the one below J Sport). The NHK choice is crap.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 3

Häää...!!!! Really. They broadcast NHK G on 関西テレビ. WTF.

PS & BTW: Thanks a lot for pointing that out!

Edited by torquato
  • Like 1