Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Videos Aki 2013- Promo and Day 1-14

I for one am all for the massive salt throw - haven't seen a guy bringing that action to the dohyo for a while. With all the sand and gravel on the surface anyway I kind of doubt it has much of an impact on traction.

As for the slippery salt throw. According to my wife "Sore wa mo waza" (that's a technique/strategy too) just like a henka and Hakuho's forearm strikes and slapping his opponent's belly hard when they are locked up. I don't think she's watched much sumo since the early 90s but she's cool with those techniques even it's only her opinion.

Edited by Mukonoso

Haha the lap-dancing joke cracked me up. (Laughing...) Ok i'm going to say something (possibly) controversial here, Asahisho should be politely asked to stop his giant salt throw, i'm convinced other rikishi are slipping on it.

It doesn't seem to bother Hakuho.

Haha the lap-dancing joke cracked me up. (Laughing...) Ok i'm going to say something (possibly) controversial here, Asahisho should be politely asked to stop his giant salt throw, i'm convinced other rikishi are slipping on it.

It doesn’t because the yobidashi sweep and wash the dohyō before the last few matches. Not sure at which point precisely.
  • Like 1

It doesn’t because the yobidashi sweep and wash the dohyō before the last few matches. Not sure at which point precisely.

Good point, by the time the Yokozuna come on the floor has been swept, what i'd really like to know is whether the copious salt affects grip or if it is the case that it is negligible in it's effect, if it does make a difference then i feel it shows lack of respect for his aite and for the other rikishi that have to come on afterward, if it doesn't have any effect then it's not an issue for me anymore as i too like the way it looks and appreciate the show, but if people are slipping then frankly it's out of order.

Takamisakari's antics were also interesting and they affected no-one physically, it was just a mind game or not even that, just entertainment for the crowd, but actually making the floor slippery (if that is what is happening) is not in the category of mind-games.

Edited by Bugman
  • Like 1

Good point, by the time the Yokozuna come on the floor has been swept, what i'd really like to know is whether the copious salt affects grip or if it is the case that it is negligible in it's effect, if it does make a difference then i feel it shows lack of respect for his aite and for the other rikishi that have to come on afterward, if it doesn't have any effect then it's not an issue for me anymore as i too like the way it looks and appreciate the show, but if people are slipping then frankly it's out of order.

Takamisakari's antics were also interesting and they affected no-one physically, it was just a mind game or not even that, just entertainment for the crowd, but actually making the floor slippery (if that is what is happening) is not in the category of mind-games.

Salt throwing should just be banned altogether.

Flamboyant salt-throwers were always around. It's not serious. Everyone throws salt. The dohyo is swept pretty regularly. If it were an issue it would have been addressed long ago. Kotoshougiku also throws more salt than the norm.

My favorite phrase that seems to annoy some - it's a non-issue.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

If there's one guy whose fighting style is singular unsuited for a slippery dohyo it's Asahisho, leading me to conclude that he either really likes a big salt throw, or the whole salt => slippery dohyo notion is a bit overblown.

Flamboyant salt-throwers were always around. It's not serious. Everyone throws salt. The dohyo is swept pretty regularly. If it were an issue it would have been addressed long ago. Kotoshougiku also throws more salt than the norm.

That doesn't annoy me Kinta, i'm not the brightest but i know when to learn from others, if it's a non-issue for you and the other regulars here then it''s a non-issue for me too, and i am happily corrected.

• Like 1

That doesn't annoy me Kinta, i'm not the brightest but i know when to learn from others, if it's a non-issue for you and the other regulars here then it''s a non-issue for me too, and i am happily corrected.

Bugman, you're an enlightened fellow.

• Like 1

Having a designated salt chucker seems to a sumo tradition. Always had one in the 70's, and have always had one since I started watching again in the 2000's. When one leaves, someone else immediately takes his place.

Thanks very much kitamayama! Finally got to catch up. Happy belated holiday greetings.

Watching all 5 days in a row is an emotional roller coaster, heart pain for Harumafuji. But he looks determined. Fingers crossed.

IIRC it's thoroughly done before the musubi-no-sanban.

lol at the mono-ii subtitles :)

thanks for the videos, as always!

• Like 2

Nice day's Sumo! You know i'm thinking a bout with Hakuho for any rikishi must be as welcome as a visit to the dentist, as for Harumafuji i don't think he had much choice but to henka Toyohibiki, he has a very powerful tachi-ai and Haru doesn't seem to be in any shape mentally to counter that at the moment, if he'd met it head on there'd have been a good chance he just would have been shunted off the dohyo.

Edited by Bugman
  • Like 1

news7 day 7 Kisenosato, Tochiozan http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20130921/k10014719641000.html

I lost the visibility again, the Japanese proxy had disappeared from the list of available countries and I couldn't get the videos back. There was an update and also after the proxy is back now I can't produce the Internal Server Error again. But de-/re-activating Stealthy and opening the news pages several times till I could see the video icon brought the visibility of the videos back after switching Stealthy off.

Heh, with Kintamayama's comment about Kotoshogiku "ever learn how to keep his eyes on his opponent at the tachiai" made me think of Loki taunting Thor during one scene in the Avengers when the latter charged through an illusion of the former. "Will you ever NOT fall for that?"