Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Videos Aki 2013- Promo and Day 1-14

Thoughts:

Yes, Geeku is VERY henka-prone. Gets really nailed at least once every two bashos or so.

Interesting to note how Hakuho's style has changed over the years. At first there was the "Go with the Flow", totally passive-reactive approach, but then, this was back when there was little or no opposition. Lately, it's been a very pro-active approach. Kept moving today, allowing no chance for his opponent to get any sort of offence going. This I like.

Rashi should take some pages out of Homasho's book - lead with the head and let the momentum of the tachi-ai be your friend. Speaking of which, there aren't too many examples of "Explosive" tachi-ai's these days. I miss Kotomitsuki. That guy was so fast off the draw....

Question to the learned ones: We've had a couple of bouts where both guys are locked and immovable - and assuming they're the same size and build - how long can a bout go on - even IF the gyoji calls a "time-out"? I mean, say, after about 4-5, maybe 6 minutes, both guys are dead tired, neither wants to back down, and it gets to the point where a winner is nowhere in sight. Since, AFAIK, there's no real time limit on the bout, and after calling a rest period for both rikishi, still nothing is resolved, what is the next step? Do the Shinpan call a halt and order a re-match? And has this ever happened, where a bout runs into the 6-8 minute mark with nothing happening?

Thoughts:

Yes, Geeku is VERY henka-prone. Gets really nailed at least once every two bashos or so.

Interesting to note how Hakuho's style has changed over the years. At first there was the "Go with the Flow", totally passive-reactive approach, but then, this was back when there was little or no opposition. Lately, it's been a very pro-active approach. Kept moving today, allowing no chance for his opponent to get any sort of offence going. This I like.

Rashi should take some pages out of Homasho's book - lead with the head and let the momentum of the tachi-ai be your friend. Speaking of which, there aren't too many examples of "Explosive" tachi-ai's these days. I miss Kotomitsuki. That guy was so fast off the draw....

Question to the learned ones: We've had a couple of bouts where both guys are locked and immovable - and assuming they're the same size and build - how long can a bout go on - even IF the gyoji calls a "time-out"? I mean, say, after about 4-5, maybe 6 minutes, both guys are dead tired, neither wants to back down, and it gets to the point where a winner is nowhere in sight. Since, AFAIK, there's no real time limit on the bout, and after calling a rest period for both rikishi, still nothing is resolved, what is the next step? Do the Shinpan call a halt and order a re-match? And has this ever happened, where a bout runs into the 6-8 minute mark with nothing happening?

First a pause and if that doesn't help usually it goes back to tachi-ai (I wouldn't really call it a rematch). I've seen it happen in the national art of sumo videos on youtube. No idea how often that happens though.

"Empty spot where my real thoughts are hidden"

I have one of those Kinta, it helps keep the peace hehe, although what are forums for if not putting forward an opinion, and if i keep quiet so as not to annoy others what use is that, i'd be disingenuous and that's worse than an honest opinion no-one likes right? Which is why i'm going to say i was pretty annoyed with Harumafuji's attitude today, prolonged staring after the matta which frankly looked like his own fault anyway, and then another long stare after he'd won, ok so Chiyotairyu beat him before but he's a Yokozuna, and a sore-winner is even less attractive than a sore-loser, i was thinking to myself, "get out of the guys face you've won already!" Also... "good" Kaisei is looking solid. :D

Edited by Bugman
  • Like 1

I have one of those Kinta, it helps keep the peace hehe, although what are forums for if not putting forward an opinion, and if i keep quiet so as not to annoy others what use is that, i'd be disingenuous and that's worse than an honest opinion no-one likes right? Which is why i'm going to say i was pretty annoyed with Harumafuji's attitude today, prolonged staring after the matta which frankly looked like his own fault anyway, and then another long stare after he'd won, ok so Chiyotairyu beat him before but he's a Yokozuna, and a sore-winner is even less attractive than a sore-loser, i was thinking to myself, "get out of the guys face you've won already!" Also... "good" Kaisei is looking solid. :D

Harumafuji appears as though he feels cornered by the possibility of a forced intai. It should be interesting to see how he reacts to the pressure in the upcoming months.

He may be coming unglued.

Reply to Treblemaker - as a Kotomitsuki fan you may want to watch this

It's "part 1". (...part 1 of how many? well, that might spoil your enjoyment...)

However, part 2 and subsequent parts will appear as you need them.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Day 9- I noticed serious sync issues, I tried to fix them manually today but every day?? No way.. Somewhere during the conversion it goes wrong. The original ain't that hot either..

• Like 9

It looked even worse than that to me because in both cases Harumafuji looked like he was engaging in "verbals", something which might be appropriate on a football pitch, but not on the dohyo and certainly not by a Yokozuna.

• Like 1

Twas was a mightily powerful font day today, Space-invaders and a Hakuho victory are the best combination since cheese and onion crisps :) I really like Endo's graceful Sumo, if only he were a little larger.

NHK news7 day 9: Chiyotairyu, Endo, Hakuho http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20130923/k10014742731000.html

Again I lost the view, but this time just one try with Stealthy on (without de-/re-activating), interrupting it while it lead to a blank page loading forever and then switching it off made the video visible again.

Kintamayama is killing me with those mono-ii captions. (Laughing...)

• Like 3

Many thanks, Kintamayama! Looks to me like the suspense for this tournement will be zensho or no zensho!? (Hope I'm wrong)

Kintamayama is killing me with those mono-ii captions. (Laughing...)

same here! I always hope there will be a whole lotta mono-ii

Reply to Treblemaker - as a Kotomitsuki fan you may want to watch this

It's "part 1". (...part 1 of how many? well, that might spoil your enjoyment...)

However, part 2 and subsequent parts will appear as you need them.

Enjoy.

Wow... Thanks. Found this very interesting. Even had my above question answered.

Aminishiki is really keeping the shimpan busy, third mono-ii in four days :-)

Day 10-it took me forever to fix the sync today-I'm going to delve into this issue tonight...

• Like 10

Today so far JSTV shows for free the usually encrypted sumo broadcast. Makunouchi has just begun, now Endo.

Visible till the end - rare thing.

Edited by Akinomaki

Day 10-it took me forever to fix the sync today-I'm going to delve into this issue tonight...

Really enjoy your videos so thanks for the effort!

• Like 1

Kisenosato's win was really impressive, i don't often see anyone get out of Giku's bumpety once he's got a good grip, thank you Kinta.

• Like 2

Masunoyama looked like he actually fainted on Tochinowaka's arms :-O

I didn't have the time to watch day 10 yesterday, so late thanks for the keshō-mawashi close-up parade.

• Like 1