Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Videos Hatsu 2012

I'm not "incredibly disappointed" as you put it at all to find the median for a Yokozuna has been 12-3, i just didn't want Hakuho to face having to retire, (i seem to remember reading somewhere a yokozuna cannot be demoted, only retire) but now that you told me that 3 losses is more or less the limit and acceptable for a Yokozuna, i'm confident he won't get more than 3 losses in any basho, at least not often i hope :)

Your recollection is correct, but no one would expect a yokozuna with a record like Hakuho's to retire after only one bad basho, even if he did happen to do worse than 12-3.

Edited by Kuroyama

I'm not "incredibly disappointed" as you put it at all to find the median for a Yokozuna has been 12-3, i just didn't want Hakuho to face having to retire, (i seem to remember reading somewhere a yokozuna cannot be demoted, only retire) but now that you told me that 3 losses is more or less the limit and acceptable for a Yokozuna, i'm confident he won't get more than 3 losses in any basho, at least not often i hope :)

Your recollection is correct, but no one would expect a yokozuna with a record like Hakuho's to retire after only one bad basho, even if he did happen to do worse than 12-3.

That's true. Also, a yokozuna often suffers from yokozunaitis and withdraws if the basho is going badly. There is no consequence for having (even several successive) make-koshi. Thanks to Hakuho and Asashoryu only the older sumo fans (granted, there seems to be a lot of them) know about this tradition.

Chiyonokuni dislocates his shoulder.

Wasn't his stable master prone to the same thing? I remember watching a basho (on UK's Channel 4) where Chiyonofuji dislocated his shoulder on day 14, was kyujo for day 15 and then came out to lift the Emerors Cup with one hand.

They don't make them like that any more!

Chiyonokuni dislocates his shoulder.

Ohhh...great eyes, Kintamayama!! (Sign of approval...) (Showing respect...) (I am not worthy...)

"I think I'll be alright (about appearing tomorrow) but I'll think about it," he said. He dislocates his shoulder here and there. "It only hurts when I move it so it's OK. I heard a cracking sound during the bout," he added somewhat later.

Edited by Kintamayama

I'm a fan of kotooshu so i wanted him to win but Baruto definitely looks keen and mean, as for the KO that happened to kisenosato, thats the first time i've ever seen that happen in Sumo i hope he is ok, thank you once again kintamayama, i'm really looking forward to tomorrow, should be an exciting day :)

I'm a fan of kotooshu so i wanted him to win but Baruto definitely looks keen and mean,

Osh took a couple of orbits around the larger-massed body before achieving escape velocity. Excellent astrophysics lesson there.

as for the KO that happened to kisenosato, thats the first time i've ever seen that happen in Sumo i hope he is ok

I didn't see anything even happen that would make him collapse like that. Near as I can tell they butted heads at the tachi-ai, and Kise went on pure reflex until it caught up with him.

as for the KO that happened to kisenosato, thats the first time i've ever seen that happen in Sumo i hope he is ok

I didn't see anything even happen that would make him collapse like that. Near as I can tell they butted heads at the tachi-ai, and Kise went on pure reflex until it caught up with him.

Harumafuji definitely gives him a right slap on the side of the head there. As for the past, in one of the previous videos I posted a halftime special where Asashouryuu knocked Kotooushuu out with his shoulder.

Edited by Kintamayama

I'm a fan of kotooshu so i wanted him to win but Baruto definitely looks keen and mean,

Osh took a couple of orbits around the larger-massed body before achieving escape velocity. Excellent astrophysics lesson there.

Well described :D

According to my brother who i roped in to have a look, Kise was hit by Harumafuji in a well known "weak spot" below the ear, well-known to him at least as i knew nothing about it myself being the pacifist that i am, i'l keep that in mind next time my elderly neighbour knocks on my door to tell me to stop playing my bagpipes at 3 am. (i know text doesn't always lend itself well to attempted humour, so just in case, i'm joking! (Applauding...) )

Harumafuji definitely gives him a right slap on the side of the head there. as for the past, in one of the previous videos I posted a halftime special where Asashouryuu knocked Kotooushuu out with his shoulder.

There was one knock out of Kotooshu against Asashoryu. It's even cooler.

I must have missed it, it's a horrible feeling being knocked out, the main danger is the possiblity of concussion afterwards, i hope Kisenosato is fine.

Edited by Bugman

Have any studies ever been done about concussion in ozumo? The NFL has become far more alert to the problem in recent years because of the effects that repeated concussions can have on the brain in later years. I'm sure I recall reading an article about the NHL in the same vein, as well. It would be interesting to find out what the situation is in ozumo.

Have any studies ever been done about concussion in ozumo? The NFL has become far more alert to the problem in recent years because of the effects that repeated concussions can have on the brain in later years. I'm sure I recall reading an article about the NHL in the same vein, as well. It would be interesting to find out what the situation is in ozumo.

They are way too busy implementing the doping rules and seeing to it that foreign gangsters don't sit in the expensive seats before Juryo. When they're done with that, maybe they can find time for concussion talk.

Edited by Kintamayama

According to my brother who i roped in to have a look, Kise was hit by Harumafuji in a well known "weak spot" below the ear, well-known to him at least as i knew nothing about it myself being the pacifist that i am, i'l keep that in mind next time my elderly neighbour knocks on my door to tell me to stop playing my bagpipes at 3 am. (i know text doesn't always lend itself well to attempted humour, so just in case, i'm joking! (Neener, neener...) )

Considering I know someone who used to wake up our entire area of the Ren Faire by blasting out "Hava Nagilah" and (paradoxically) "Jesus Christ Superstar" on the bagpipes, you might not have been joking at all. Text has nothing to do with it.

And it's a wrap. Thank you for watching and the kind words.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Considering I know someone who used to wake up our entire area of the Ren Faire by blasting out "Hava Nagilah" and (paradoxically) "Jesus Christ Superstar" on the bagpipes, you might not have been joking at all. Text has nothing to do with it.

Well at least he/she was original i suppose, all i get is base through the walls, i dream of being woken up by to the sound of bagpipes, sheer luxury that :)

A million thankyou's Kintamayama for your coverage of the Basho, if the tournament is the cake then your compilations with their inimitable humour are the icing on it, posting here and chatting with you guys has been a great pleasure for me, very much looking forward to the next tournament :)

Edited by Bugman

Sakumayama - two kotenage in three play-off bouts? Uff.

Gagamaru was this basho bulldozing opponents like baby dolls, is there so much difference between top boys he's been losing in Kyushu and his current environment? Or did he manage to keep his body moving substantially better? No collapses of ankles, no losses of steam.

Kyokutenho disposed of Takanoyama perfectly, let's admit. Nevertheless I think Takanoyama should be able to get KK in some makuuchi basho, he just need a little more experience there. You know, defense and above all ability not to get into favourite positions of heavier opponents, or not?

My sincere thanks to Kintamayama for all videos, I enjoyed them.

Well at least he/she was original i suppose, all i get is base through the walls, i dream of being woken up by to the sound of bagpipes, sheer luxury that :)

You're from Yorkshire, aren't you? ;)

(Holiday feeling...) (Sign of approval...) (Sign of approval...) Thanks for your great work all the days.

Thanks again to Kintamayama!

It was a great basho, and I'm really happy for Baruto. It's too bad he still can't beat Hakuho often, but it does happen so who knows what will happen in Osaka!