Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

How did 83yo British woman Doreen Simmons become a sumo commentator in Japan?

It is an unlikely mix — the ancient sport of sumo wrestling and a little old English lady from Nottingham.

Doreen Simmons studied theology and classics at Cambridge University, but became hooked by sumo more than 40 years ago after catching a glimpse of it on television.

The 83-year-old lives and works in Tokyo and writes about sumo for newspapers and magazines. She also provides English commentary on Japanese television.

Ms Simmons hesitates to call herself an expert in the sport, even though she has watched every development since 1974.

"I don't go in for all this claptrap about 'ancient' and this, that and the other," she said.

"You either like it or you don't," she said...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-10/doreen-simmons-unlikely-sumo-wrestling-expert-japan/7155198

Photos and video accompany the article.

Sassy old British women are my favorite species.

Better watch it-she's a member of the Forum..

I think this is the first time I've ever read an MB article without wondering how he gets paid for his work/opinion...

• Like 2

yep

and the story line begins

from the article,

... This time, he will try and become the first Japan-born yokozuna since Wakanohana in 1998.

Haramafuji, Hakuho and Kakuryu are the three yokozuna who will likely be taking a backseat despite being at sumo’s highest rank, while Kotoshogiku steals the limelight. ... (emphasis added)

i hope everybody has a strong stomach

it could happen

• Like 2

New CNN article ( there was even a pic of Endo on the CNN homepage) about stables:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/15/travel/tokyo-sumo-stables/

The first picture looks like it was taken at least 6 years ago. If I am not mistaken, Dejima and Miyabiyama are in the background. Dejima retired in 2009 and Miyabiyama retired in 2013. It looks like a keiko session at Musashigawa?

Edited by Kishinoyama

Wonderfully written article, including Hakuho's relationship with the Japanese Freestyle olympic wrestling team, Taiho predicting that Hakuho would surpass him, and more:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/japanese-sumo-in-respect-of-domination-and-diversity-0

Very few mistakes, and minor ones at that: a little editing would have made it one of the best.

Orion

Wonderfully written article, including Hakuho's relationship with the Japanese Freestyle olympic wrestling team, Taiho predicting that Hakuho would surpass him, and more:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/japanese-sumo-in-respect-of-domination-and-diversity-0

Very few mistakes, and minor ones at that: a little editing would have made it one of the best.

Orion

Well, glaring enough mistakes for the more experinced, but doesn't detract from the reding experience. Best part is about the 8-year old fan who cried on Hakuho's belly. Edited by d_golem

Mark

Hakuhou's days are numbered?

No one should begrudge Hakuho the right to stay on as long as he produces yokozuna-like sumo. And if he wins one or two basho a year to hit the 40 mark, what a record that would be! (His record even now is incredible, of course.) Sumo takes a toll, yes, but at 31-years old he still has some pop left in his tachi-ai, I would imagine. He could be a mentor to some, a wall to others, or even a villain, and certainly one of the greatest rikishi to ever grace the dohyo for the fans who pay money to see the sport. I say give it some time. Perhaps a young lion will come and knock him out of the dohyo, leaving images like a young Asashoryu taking on a weary Takanohana. That's fine, too.

• Like 4

Otokonoyama, on 20 Apr 2016 - 00:26, said:

Lisa's Eye on Tokyo: Ryogoku: Home of sumo a place to see and feel the energy

Link

which heya is that pictured in the article?