Atenzan

Basho Talk - Aki Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Takayasu, Ozeki?

Okinoumi, Yokozuna?

Goeido, Yusho?

Kisenosato: ''Maybe this is my Basho?''

Edited by Jyuunomori
  • Like 1

Despite being (been? my english is bad, sorry for this) slowly turning into a mummy (6 bandages and counting, when his knees bandages get big as aminishiki's is time to worry), Terunofuji got his win today and i really hope he improves in the next days, like the guy and i expect to see him in the same fire he was when he won the yusho. 

Edited by taresu

Wow, if Tochinoshin knee was good he would have had his kinboshi. The knee just gave out in the end. 

• Like 2

It is in bouts like this against Tochinoshin that i remember why Kakuryuu is a yokozuna. He seemed very patient and calm during all the bout. Great effort from Tochinoshin as well, few days ago he said he was injured, imagine lifting Kakuryuu in that conditions. 

3 minutes ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

Wow, Shodai almost had Harumafuji there!

Harrumafuji overdid the henka there and it almost cost him. Shodai was one good push away from throwing him over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

Wow, Shodai almost had Harumafuji there!

Not undermining shodai efforts, it looked to me that Harumafuji almost lost his balance for a moment there onnly because he was pushing and Shodai moved away. 

1 hour ago, taresu said:

Despite being (been? my english is bad, sorry for this) slowly turning into a mummy (6 bandages and counting, when his knees bandages get big as aminishiki's is time to worry), Terunofuji got his win today and i really hope he improves in the next days, like the guy and i expect to see him in the same fire he was when he won the yusho. 

"Despite slowly turning into a mummy..." 

He injured his knees in a way that won't heal without surgery.  Fire or not, he's never going to be right again until he sucks it up and get his knees fixed.  It frustrates me that he/his oyakata haven't okayed it.  

• Like 1

This basho is getting more and more interesting to watch. The youngsters are getting their experience and the oldest... Well, sumo is about injuries and their influence on the banzuke is strong. Every two months a new scenario.. Rooting for Kisenosato is getting frustrating, Yoshikaze should be at his place!

By the way, many thanks to those who provide videos and analysis... Keep going!

5 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

The most competitive spot on the banzuke is the top of Makushita. An absolute dog fight. Oyangi will be fine.

Only if you disregard the fact that his opponent was 30 years old and had never been ranked in the top half of Makushita before his yusho last basho.  Ok, maybe he just got a whole ton better suddenly the last few months, but I wouldn't chalk this loss of Oyanagi's to having a particularly difficult opponent.  He used to be chewing up guys of Ryusei's quality.

5 hours ago, Jyuunomori said:

Also I refuse to believe that Seiro is this bad. What is going on with him? Injury?

Seiro is actually pretty bad relative to his ranking.  He actually had a losing record in Juryo even prior to this basho despite having been promoted to Makuuchi twice and never dropping out of Juryo.  Ok, he did start at J9, and banzuke luck is pretty common, but still, he's shown himself only to be relatively average in Juryo.  I rate only 11 Juryo rikishi lower than him instead of the 20-some on the banzuke.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Really? To me he looks like the regular Okinoumi who just has a freakish streak of luck. I won't be surprised if he misses the shukunsho due to MK.

Really, yes.

On another note, poor Osu's body doesn't seem able to keep itself together. I hope he wasn't too badly injured.

Edited by Katooshu

I got to watch Aminishiki versus Kitataiki. Funny how Kita tried to henka the master of henkas, it sure didn't work. Aminishiki looked pissed at the end there too.

3 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Really, yes.

On another note, poor Osu's body doesn't seem able to keep itself together. I hope he wasn't too badly injured.

Looks like Osu hurt his groin or hamstring which means he may be out for good for Aki basho.   Sad, if I am right.

Edited by robnplunder

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

I got to watch Aminishiki versus Kitataiki. Funny how Kita tried to henka the master of henkas, it sure didn't work. Aminishiki looked pissed at the end there too.

Amishiki looks definitely like he's not 100% healthy.   He may be in this basho to keep his ranking from slipping further down.

Wow, both of the yokozuna matches today were nail-biters. Great stuff.

Most basho, things are starting to heat up around now, but this one strangely seems to have settled into a groove. Still on the edge of the my seat. 

Osunaarashi, please don't be injured. >.<

Amakaze is holding his own surprisingly well so far. I thought he would drop right back to Juryo but that might not be the case. 

Aoiyama got a taste of his own medicine, this kind of hikiotoshi is usually in his arsenal. 

Goeido did very well today again. You can see he's more focused and determined than usual. I guess he senses an opportunity. 

Kisenosato on the other hand is kinda unhinged. He's winning his bouts now but it's not as effortless and calm sumo as the previous few basho. 

And Tochinoshin, wow! He almost did a tsuridashi on Kakuryu. But one does not simply tsuridashi a Yokozuna ;) 

Here's how amazing Okinoumi's current run is.   Okinoumi's combined career record against his 1st five opponents is now 21-51.  Before this basho, he was 16-51 against them.   Even with the 5 wins, he has losing record against all 5 rikishi - 3-16, 5-11, 6-11, 3-6, 4-7.   Using stuff I've learned at college way back, Oki's odd of beating the 5 opponents in a row was about 320 to 1.   Wow!   That just blows my mind.  

He is 5-11 against his next opponent, Kotoshogiku.    If Oki beats him too, he would have made 700 to 1 odd come true by beating the 6 opponents in a row..   

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

And Aminishiki takes down Sadanofuji! He now stands 3-3!

Vaughn came on just in time.

Can't believe did that turn to close to be off the dohyo, was really nice to see him recover. Luckily for Shohouzan it wasn't enough, but he almost turned the table there! I guess not even him was expecting that, he was all confused at the end.  

27 minutes ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

Osunaarashi is injured :(

His shisho apparently made a comment about him possibly coming back though.

2 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

His shisho apparently made a comment about him possibly coming back though.

I hope he takes the time to recover fully, so much talent could be wasted by not allowing injuries to heal...

The injury got the best of ikioi today. Chiyoshouma did well against him today.

Edited by taresu