Sign in to follow this  
Igordemorais

Natsu Basho 2012 - Discussion

Just curious, when viewing this match, do you also immediately expect the mono-ii that indeed came? (And are you as surprised as I was that it didn't lead to the expected outcome?)

Just curious, when viewing this match, do you also immediately expect the mono-ii that indeed came? (And are you as surprised as I was that it didn't lead to the expected outcome?)

I didn't immediately expect the mono-ii - I realised why it was called when Dewahayate made a point of adjusting his chonmage as he walked off the dohyo. ;-) To be honest, after half a dozen replays I couldn't tell whether the hair was actually pulled or whether Kaonishiki just had his hand on the top of the head. Maybe the shinpan couldn't tell either so they just went with the gyoji's original call?

Edit: On the theme of hair, in today's opening bout Asayudai's head was shaved. He had hair in his first bout of the basho, which he lost and then went kyujo unti today.

Edited by Yubinhaad

Again a tsuki-hiza knee touchdown loss for the opponent of Yoshikaze. Shohouzan yesterday, Fujiazuma today. There must be some technique involved on the side of Yoshikaze - the best moving around in the league ?

Edited by Akinomaki

There's that, yeah. But various uncool things have managed to overcome that problem, including sumo at various times in its history, so that's essentially down to finding that one "hook" that will make sumo cool again. A strong Japanese yokozuna is probably the best bet, but it's hard to say that it's guaranteed to work. IMO, a strong and steady rivalry is more important. Asashoryu and Hakuho could have been as Japanese as they come during their stints as sole yokozuna, but when you're finishing every basho three wins ahead of the nearest competitor, it just doesn't make for much of an audience draw. (Heck, even Taiho had that problem in his time.)

Maybe a manga. Hikaru no Go did wonders for Go, as I understand it.

Kyokutenho against Kotooshu (4-18) tomorrow, not impossible I'd say. The Kanto-sho should be his.

There's that, yeah. But various uncool things have managed to overcome that problem, including sumo at various times in its history, so that's essentially down to finding that one "hook" that will make sumo cool again. A strong Japanese yokozuna is probably the best bet, but it's hard to say that it's guaranteed to work. IMO, a strong and steady rivalry is more important. Asashoryu and Hakuho could have been as Japanese as they come during their stints as sole yokozuna, but when you're finishing every basho three wins ahead of the nearest competitor, it just doesn't make for much of an audience draw. (Heck, even Taiho had that problem in his time.)

Maybe a manga. Hikaru no Go did wonders for Go, as I understand it.

I was thinking the same thing. If a manga as successful as Hikaru no Go could be written, and especially if it got made into a popular anime series, it would help increase the younger part of the fan base.

As a Go player, I know that many players became interested in the game because of the manga or the anime. Some of us who already liked Go become motivated to increase our efforts in learning to play the game well after watching that show.

There are several anime based on competitive tournaments from the more obvious athletic sports such as soccer, basketball, baseball (several examples exist) to more Japan specific ones such as Go, Shogi (Shion no Ou), and Karuta (Chihayafuru). Actually, I find it a bit surprising that there hasn't been an attempt at a sumo anime/manga.

P.S. If any of you like to play Go, please contact me so we can have a match. I mostly play on the Dragon Go Server but I'd be open to other arrangements.

There are several anime based on competitive tournaments from the more obvious athletic sports such as soccer, basketball, baseball (several examples exist) to more Japan specific ones such as Go, Shogi (Shion no Ou), and Karuta (Chihayafuru). Actually, I find it a bit surprising that there hasn't been an attempt at a sumo anime/manga.

But of course there is a sumo manga - I have four very nice books as proof... anime I don't know, probably not.

But of course there is a sumo manga - I have four very nice books as proof... anime I don't know, probably not.

How about sumo hentai? :) I don't think I want to see this :)

The trick is to get one that's popular. Hikaru no Go ran to 23 volumes and spawned a successful anime besides. If it had only been able to sustain a story over 4 volumes, it probably wouldn't have had anywhere near the impact it did.

The trick is to get one that's popular. Hikaru no Go ran to 23 volumes and spawned a successful anime besides. If it had only been able to sustain a story over 4 volumes, it probably wouldn't have had anywhere near the impact it did.

There are more than 4 volumes, I only have the first four. Indeed, there were 28 volumes and 6 more in a try to reanimate the series.

And actually, there was an anime made, but it lasted only one season with 23 episodes.

The Shohozan versus Toyohibiki bout was very exciting today. My heart was racing with all the twists and turns.

• Like 1

If Hakuho wins this I'm quitting sumo.

Well, if no one else is able to profit from a weakened Hakuho, no one else deserves it. Hakuho at 80% can still compete for the yusho. While it's there to take with about five or six serious contenders, he can be the yusho winner.

As usual I'm rooting for a playoff with maegashira participation, if only for another opportunity for somebody to make history by becoming the first maegashira ever to win a playoff bout...

Edit: And this is one of those basho where I really wish they'd wait with the senshuraku schedule until all Day 14 results are in, not just the first half.

Edited by Asashosakari

NHK news7 reported that Tochiozan is thinking about the yusho. I think he'll get the gino-sho after losing in a playoff.

Curious basho. I find myself rooting against the Japanese rikishi for some reason - partially I guess because of allegations on the other forum, but also because they just seem so boring compared to Kak, Haramufuji and Hakuho.

I haven't been paying attention to Kise's pre-taichi-ai antics - what is he doing exactly, pulling out at the last minute or something?

And further to the previous discussion about sumo's popularity among the young, is the pricing an issue? Hard for me to judge as everything in Japan seems expensive as a tourist, but even the cheap seats at the sumo were around US$50. Presumably that's a lot of money for a 24-year-old graduate working in 7-11.

NHK news7 reported that Tochiozan is thinking about the yusho.

I can't decide whether to respond with "that seals it, he's losing his next two bouts" or "wait, a rikishi actually isn't saying 'I am not thinking about the yusho at all'?"

Curious basho. I find myself rooting against the Japanese rikishi for some reason - partially I guess because of allegations on the other forum ...

If "they" (whoever "they" are) were actually bothering to engineer Japanese-rikishi yushos, there'd be at least five huge pictures sporting the images of Kisenosato, Kotoshogiku, Kotomitsuki and perhaps Toyonoshima and Chiyotaikai flying under the Kokugikan roof right now. Actual number: zero.

• Like 3

If Kyokutenho wins the yusho, is he gonna take along Hakuho in the yusho car?

• Like 3

If Kyokutenho wins the yusho, is he gonna take along Hakuho in the yusho car?

Priceless! You're a genius man! I think that whoever wins should take _you_ along in the yusho car! ;-)

• Like 1

Edit: On the theme of hair, in today's opening bout Asayudai's head was shaved. He had hair in his first bout of the basho, which he lost and then went kyujo unti today.

Classic "I left the heya but was persuaded to return", no?

Classic "I left the heya but was persuaded to return", no?

The last time we discovered that, the guy left anyway. So maybe it's a new classic - the farewell bout. But we will see after the basho.

What a crazy tournament this is. Far from being the appointed the winner by the Kyokai, it seems Kisenosato is doing all he can to throw away his advantage. If Hakuho gets to 11-4 and no-one has a better score I'd back him in any playoff. I can still remember Musashimaru doing it in November 1996.

Im rooting for Kyokutenho to go Rocky Balboa here, pull the upset, stun the world, say "fuck you all!" and retire in glory

As a Go player, I know that many players became interested in the game because of the manga or the anime. Some of us who already liked Go become motivated to increase our efforts in learning to play the game well after watching that show.

So by chance, can you tell me whether Japanese professional Go has the same trouble as professional Sumo?

It also suffered an invasion of top foreign players as well, mainly from China and Korea. It guess it has the same financial problems as Sumo, I guess it doesn't generate even less revenue, it has even less potential to stir public excitement.

But I haven't been able to gather much information, like How many spectators watch the top tournaments? How is the media coverage of the events? Are private companies supporting Go? Does the Ministry of Education subsidize Go and does it happily do so?