Kaninoyama

Kakuryu to Retire

It's always bizarre seeing our favorite top rikishi, who were superstars of the dohyo just one basho ago, suddenly relegated to sitting in a chair in a blue jacket with bored expressions on their faces doing security duty. 

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

It's always bizarre seeing our favorite top rikishi, who were superstars of the dohyo just one basho ago, suddenly relegated to sitting in a chair in a blue jacket with bored expressions on their faces doing security duty. 

Are you thinking of someone in particular?  Most guys who retire and stay on as oyakata aren't "superstars of the dohyo just one basho ago" - they almost certainly were no longer superstars except maybe in prestige, and that's why they retired.  I think only Akebono has managed to retire into being an oyakata very soon after their last yusho.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I was referring to prestige. Kakuryu and Kisenosato retiring as Yokozuna, Goeido and Kotooshu retiring as Ozeki.

Even if their last few basho performances (or lack thereof from kyujo) weren't representative of their peak years, if they weren't the superstars of the sport in their time, who were? 

In any case, the point was that I can't think of another sport where you are a star athlete one basho, and the next you are are sitting in a chair guarding the way to the dressing room. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 6