Toonoryu

Sumo documentary videos

As for the GIFs...

oKLE8qAWYD.gif

OMGDDSS! This gif ROX!!!

But have you noticed that it's always the same card? As soon as it lands it turns into the one on top that is already there. So it's a closed-circuit repeat -- though I've certainly seen the real-life action that really does churn out a hundred at a time.

Orion

As for the GIFs...

oKLE8qAWYD.gif

OMGDDSS! This gif ROX!!!

But have you noticed that it's always the same card? As soon as it lands it turns into the one on top that is already there. So it's a closed-circuit repeat -- though I've certainly seen the real-life action that really does churn out a hundred at a time.

Orion

You're joking right?

• Like 1

Orion

You're joking right?

I'm afraid not. But hey, not all people know that it's in the nature of animated gifs to get repeated over and over. Those people are proud when they detect this fact and are not afraid to tell it. I'm ok with this, especially if said people are over 80 years old.

Of all the wrestlers, I think the ones I'd like to meet the most in person would certainly be Kyokutenho, Takanoyama and Harumafuji.

Kyokutenho oozes charisma. His victory was the loudest I've ever cheered in sumo.

Kisenosato has the charisma of a bookshelf, every time he appears on screen it's a downer.

Edited by Igordemorais

Of all the wrestlers, I think the ones I'd like to meet the most in person would certainly be Kyokutenho, Takanoyama and Harumafuji.

Kyokutenho oozes charisma. His victory was the loudest I've ever cheered in sumo.

Kisenosato has the charisma of a bookshelf, every time he appears on screen it's a downer.

that last line is of course based on never having met him.

Of course. Maybe he is the absolute best human being in the history of sumo, maybe he steals from the rich and singlehandedly supports elderly homes and donates blood to the Red Cross, and maybe you two are best buddies who go out to drink sake and adopt orphan children, I don't know.

What I do know is that as a fan of the sport who follows his media persona, I take great pleasure in seeing him get his ass whooped.

Take from that what you will.

Thanks Moti! Immense!

I haven't seen many Taiho bouts before. What a unique fighter. Rarely looking extremely dominating, he nevertheless counters everything with a mysterious extra 5%.

Lots of Ama-type rikishi back then, it seems.

Tamanoshima/Tamanoumi is quite impressive in bout 13. His untimely death really was also a big loss for sumo.

Of course. Maybe he is the absolute best human being in the history of sumo, maybe he steals from the rich and singlehandedly supports elderly homes and donates blood to the Red Cross, and maybe you two are best buddies who go out to drink sake and adopt orphan children, I don't know.

What I do know is that as a fan of the sport who follows his media persona, I take great pleasure in seeing him get his ass whooped.

Take from that what you will.

I take pleasure from seeing Takanoyama lose. Looks like I get more pleasure than you do. ;)

Kinta, did the tachi-ai really matta all that much back then?

There was seldom a four on the floor tachiai. The tachiai was a mutual consent movement, often from a standing position. Mattas were called if one of the rikishi jumped the gun. They were about as common as they are now, but it was a judgement call rather than a requirement for a specific physical position

Tachi-ai? What tachi-ai??

It was supposed to be a joke :-)

So was my answer..

So was my answer..

Sorry, I knew yours was. I really should have quoted the first reply!

Per request: Takanoyama Highlight video

Thank you very much Araibira, i mistakenly made a new thread to link your video as i had not yet seen it posted here, it's awesome, i very much hope Takanoyama himself gets to see it as i think he'd be well pleased, thanks again :)

Dude can you do Harumafuji?

Or even better, something topical like "best kimarite of 2012", with great technical moves

Part of my journey to educate people on sumo in the forums I go to is showing them that sumo is a sport of giant athletes, not fat slobs.

i know those highlights take a ton of work but it would be nice to see one with real technical sumo finishes (Goeido, Harumafuji, Myogiryu, you know the guys) so we can show the world that there's a lot of technique to this

waddaya say?