Sign in to follow this  
Ryukaze

Songs you like but are embarrassed to admit to lol

Admit it this has happened to you lol Your with a friend or someone somewhere and a song that you secretly like comes on the radio (but at the risk of being made fun of by your friends or those with you would never admit it) so as your friend says to you "Dude change the channel what the hell are we listening to!?" You give a response to the tune of "Er he he Oh yeah sorry, wasn't paying attention" then think to yourself that were you alone you know you'd keep the radio station right where it is lol.

Anyhow here are a couple of songs that are sorta this way for me lol (the videos are all gay as hell, but I dig the songs.) Anyone else have any secret "faves" they'd care to admit to?

song 3

Edited by Ryukaze

Oh wow Ryukaze, that first song is a great example!

Nishinoshima, the crucified video is absolutely bonkers!

But the song has a damn good hook, so I can see why you like it.

I'll throw this little number on the fire . . .

#2 - should need no explanation

should it be here?

You be the judge, but I'm surprised how many people hate Stevie Nicks and/or Fleetwood Mac. Sorry for poor video and sound but it's the only one I could find of the original.

#4 - classic

#5 - Why are most of these songs from the 80's?!?!?

Excellent idea of a thread!

All 80's stuff of course, and all embarrassing to admit for some reason - just rediscovered after digging in my memory as a result of this thread:

Clip 1

Clip 2

And now embarrassing slow songs:

Clip 3

Clip 4

Clips 5 and 6 are 2 French alternatives to clip 4, clip 7 (also French but in English) is in a league of its own:

Clip 5

(and it gets kitscher...)

Clip 6

(and the kitschest)

I think it's an 80s thing, like Azumaryu pointed out. I never seem to understand why people should be "embarrassed" to like stuff, especially music. We like Sumo. To the external world, that is plenty "embarrassing" enough.. So who cares if we hum the Human League and like to "do it" with all the lights on?

So we are going French from the 1980's? Then we have to include....

Video

You've got to be kidding-the ultimate Frenchie is

That''s a good one too.

Just to go off topic what would you say is the best music video ever made (speaking of the visuals here).

It's hard for me to say without a few days thought but off the top of my head I'd say this one is up there.

It's really hard to pick just one and say it's the best but you won't get any arguments from me on your choice!

I knew right where to go for this -- my ipod's "Don't play in public" playlist (Holiday feeling...) Definitely 283 songs to play with the windows closed. I can't narrow them down to one, but here are a few of the tops (...and we won't even get near Celine Dion, now, will we?) :-O

3. Don't touch anything!

4. Not Van Halen

5. Gotta get some disco...

6. I wan'na be like...

7. Lenny

8. Summing up my sumo games career...

Max, it was like you were reading my mind. Almost all of those were next on my list. :-O

Excellent idea of a thread!

All 80's stuff of course, and all embarrassing to admit for some reason - just rediscovered after digging in my memory as a result of this thread:

Clip 1

Clip 2

And now embarrassing slow songs:

Clip 3

Clip 4

Clips 5 and 6 are 2 French alternatives to clip 4, clip 7 (also French but in English) is in a league of its own:

Clip 5

(and it gets kitscher...)

Clip 6

(and the kitschest)

After checking out the snowy scenes opening the A-Ha video you selected (Clip 2), I remembered how much I enjoyed another snowy mountain video - Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode. The whole idea of bringing your own throne to these wonderful isolated places really appealed to me and the song stuck in my mind because of it.

I still think Nishinoshima's Cure selection is a brilliant video but I find that DM one very satisfying too.

While on the subject, I consider the uber-hit video for 'Take On Me' by A-Ha to be a song I've always liked but used to feel embarrassed about. I've outgrown the embarrassment part now though. The whole jumping in and out of a comic book thing was new at the time as far as I know and it left an impression.

Ahh - I see Zenjimoto has already linked us to that video under the label 'more 80s hell'.

Zenji's 'jungle song' brought me back about 20 years to my senior days in high school - I'd forgotten all about that one. Where's the 'Boys Don't Cry'? the 'Falco'?

I think the reason the 80s are dominating this topic is that music videos drew many of us in to songs and styles that we would have avoided if not for the compelling visuals - thus the embarrassment.

Edited by Itachi

Anyhow here are a couple of songs that are sorta this way for me lol (the videos are all gay as hell, but I dig the songs.) Anyone else have any secret "faves" they'd care to admit to?

You shouldn't be embarrassed to admit to like "Broken Wings" by Mr Mister or "Sara" by Starship... I remember I buy this two 45rpm singles in the eighties in France too (Holiday feeling...)

I really like this one :-D (Blushing...)

and this one too... ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxmBD904pVU

my two all-time favorite italian songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNxZBORloZQ :-O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1YKn_jRr8s B-)

Embarrassing songs N

Up to last year the only German band I knew was Guano Apes and in particular

That's a bit surprising to me. Not that there are lots of German bands, but still... never heard from Alphaville with the fitting song Big in Japan?

Edit: The more I think about it, the less I can't believe that... Rammstein is another well known German band...

Edited by Doitsuyama

Time to let you know my favourite german band, I love them and I'm not embarryssed to admit it :-D

"Die toten Hosen"- The dead trousers ;-)

this are some of my favourite songs

Bonnie und Clyde

somewhere in the crowd you can see me (Laughing...)

Steh auf

Edited by Fay

Rammstein is another well known German band...

You are right...

and we shouldn't forget that German music it's Kraftwerk, Nina Hagen and Scorpions too ...

Since a half year in France, the teenage german band Tokio Hotel is very popular in the charts : It's the first time since Nena in 1984 that a german language band (or artist) is so popular in our country

edit : I forget Modern Talking and Sandra... very popular german artists in France too (Laughing...) ... and many many dance productions from Germany (Boney M, Donna Summer, Snap...)

Edited by Kaiomitsuki

While on the subject, I consider the uber-hit video for 'Take On Me' by A-Ha to be a song I've always liked but used to feel embarrassed about. I've outgrown the embarrassment part now though. The whole jumping in and out of a comic book thing was new at the time as far as I know and it left an impression.

Part of this topic was an aside about music videos...I think Take on Me is the coolest music video. It has some really interesting special/artistic effects, and if you then consider that it was done over 20 years ago, it makes the video even more fantastic. When I see it now, only occasionally on retro video nights, it still looks like it holds its own against newer videos. the only thing that dates it is the fashion and hair!! I remember it blew me away when the video first came out because it was sooooo different.

Rammstein is another well known German band...

You are right...

and we shouldn't forget that German music it's Kraftwerk, Nina Hagen and Scorpions too ...

Since a half year in France, the teenage german band Tokio Hotel is very popular in the charts : It's the first time since Nena in 1984 that a german language band (or artist) is so popular in our country

edit : I forget Modern Talking and Sandra... very popular german artists in France too (Nodding yes...) ... and many many dance productions from Germany (Boney M, Donna Summer, Snap...)

We can add Falco with songs like : Der Kommissar (82), Jeanny (85) or Rock me amadeus which were well placed in french charts too. Falco died a few years ago.

We can add Falco with songs like : Der Kommissar (82), Jeanny (85) or Rock me amadeus which were well placed in french charts too. Falco died a few years ago.

Falco was from Austria ("Der Kommissar (alles is klar)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siF-kaxWR6E

From Germany in the 80s, you can add OFF "Electrica Salsa (baba baba)"

and TRIO "Da da da"

From Austria... Opus "Live is Life" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA5Nl7jcoPc...

Edited by Kaiomitsuki

Aw, quite a lot of these songs are on my top list. Must be growing up in 1980s...

As for embarrassing songs I love, if you neglect a heap of anime-related J-pop, there is:

(we have a 45rpm single at home still...)

(not that embarrassing really)

I can't think of much else I'd be embarrassed to enjoy in public... My music taste has been ridiculed to many times, anyway.

For a hardcore metal fan I like a lot of c*** aswell......

Guaranteed to get my foot tapping-

Jeff Beck-Hi yo silver lining (Wearing a paperbag...)

Mental as anything-Live it up (Wearing a paperbag...)

B52s-Love Shack (Wearing a paperbag...)

Elvis-Suspicious minds (Wearing a paperbag...)

Sorrry!!!!!!!

Edited by Fujisan

Guest Mirabiyama

Oh I love a lot of techno stuff, the best way to dance I think (Wearing a paperbag...)

Edited by Mirabiyama

"Die toten Hosen"- The dead trousers (Wearing a paperbag...)

This is strange. I have "10 kleine J

Edited by Manekineko
do I need a reason? :P

I was 7 or 8 years old...can it be? And I liked David Hasselhoff....so I got a tape of "I've been looking for freedom" I was singing with - "with my 7-years old-german kid-non-existing English" "Happi lukki fo friidom" or so and my cousin, 4 years older, laughed at me... (Wearing a paperbag...) .

For always being an outsider, never liked the charts of my time, I became a big Queen fan when I was 10 (Oh hell, can it be? When was "Made in Heaven" out? 1995?) my classmates made fun of me and it became worse when I started listening to Joe Cocker, James Brown, Aretha Franklyn, Van Halen, Kiss, (Ok, Manson or Nirvana are "ok" to like under my aged-people) etcetc. Fuck the Charts, I live in past in music.

The only song I am still embarrassed (since I understand it's real meaning) is "Relax"- Franky goes to Hollywood...uah...erm...(Wearing a paperbag...) and "Zu pfingsten"- that's the only real folk festival in my little village and the ones around, we all go to the wood and have a 3 days-lasting party with dance. Mostly 80s songs- most of the people don't understand what, but they keep on singing drunk...when it comes to "Relax"...erm (Wearing a paperbag...) could somebody tell them please? (Wearing a paperbag...)

EDIT : AND I LOVE ELVIS'S too!

Edited by ilovesumo

However Verena told me about a song called "Allein Gemacht" and although I couldn't find a clip of it I found another one from the same band.

Here

Hehehe... "Die Prinzen"

The song John is talking about......ahem...Lyrics are like "Cause you were not here I did it alone and thought of you while doing it..." -"it" never comes clear.

Edit: OOOOOOOOOH........Tokyo Hotel........in my 8 month in the town of Tokyo, I happily forgot about them....... (Wearing a paperbag...) but not embarrassed at all cause I could never like that...

Edited by ilovesumo

The only song I am still embarrassed (since I understand it's real meaning) is "Relax"- Franky goes to Hollywood...uah...erm...(Wearing a paperbag...) and "Zu pfingsten"- that's the only real folk festival in my little village and the ones around, we all go to the wood and have a 3 days-lasting party with dance. Mostly 80s songs- most of the people don't understand what, but they keep on singing drunk...when it comes to "Relax"...erm (Wearing a paperbag...) could somebody tell them please? (Wearing a paperbag...)

EDIT : AND I LOVE ELVIS'S too!

What's so wrong with "Relax" ???????????? Fortunately it isn't banned any longer as it was in BBC.