elaborate the fine details of shiko but in a nutshell at least the

following factors play a role in my opinion:

1. How high to lift the leg?

This isn't considered very important really. Contrary to what some people

think, the essence of shiko is not in the height of the leg at peak point

or the stylish look of the movement's tangent line. When lifting leg very

high it requires flexibility of groin/hip area and generally a good

balance and body control. The most airbone shiko at sekitori level is

probably Katayama's. It is very high and stands out from the rest.

Asanowaka is at the other end of the spectum with his very low shiko.

2. How to make the best of out shiko in training wise?

This is the key factor. One can do hundreds of shiko in futile if the

technique is bad. It doesn't help much anything if one starts the movement

with a relatively erect support leg. The important part is to start the

shiko from bent leg position. If you do shiko so that the beginning of the

move starts from as low as possible (ie. one legged squat almost), it

exerts tremendous pressure on the leg that is doing the work. Then as

ascending from the squat the airbone leg starts to rise to side and

optimally when the working leg is almost erect, the airborne leg reaches

the peak (which doesn't have to be as high as possible). Then while

maintaining the posture in control, the airborne leg is brought down while

exhaling. Then same to other side.

This way the thighs get a lot of work when they have to do half-squat with

one leg at a time. Another physiological benefit comes from the squat

after bringing the airborne leg down. The squat develops the hip area,

especially in flexibility. Anyone who has done squatting with weights at

the gym knows how important it is to get the "hip open and lower one's

upper body in the cup that the opened hip forms". With shiko this is done

countless of times. If that doesn't develop the overall functionality of

the pelvic area and the small support muscles, I don't know what does.

Also, in sumo the hip should be kept low (as a rule of thumb) and shiko

brings a young rikishi massive amount of experience in getting low and

hammering that principle into the spinal cord.

What about impact then? "Shiko strengthens bones" is a statement often

heard. The impact is not that massive though. Usually rikishi don't really

stomp the ground with full force in order to get the same impact affect as

when landing from a jump. Still there must be some bone remodelling

stimulus in those impacts. No doubt rikishi have high bone density

especially in arms, thigh and tibia.

3. Combination of strech and flex

In doing a series of shiko the alternating of the leg gives a good means

of rather unique static contraction - dynamic contraction - streching

combination. If you think about shiko with a for example right leg. At the

start the right leg takes the whole weight of the body when the left leg

is lifted off the ground, at this point it is for a little while a sudden

static contraction before it changes to dynamic countraction when the leg

is working to lift the body up. When the leg straightens, the body is in a

tilt position! The other leg is high up and causes the back of thigh of

the working leg strech.

If I could be an oyakata for 6 months for some peculiar reason I would

introduce a follow-up on this extra strech factor. I know that the thigh

flexors are much less used in sumo compared to frontal thigh muscles like

they are in most sports too. However, it would be a worthwhile attempt to

combine some thigh flexor work to be done in between shiko sets or after

shiko sets. This way the streched and statically contracted muscles could

get a decent work out after first getting the antagonistic strech during

the shikos. For example doing a set of perfect shiko and immediately

following with good morning-exercise with some small weight of 50-60kg.

This could pay some divident and definitely shiko would enable this

experiment very well by promoting thigh flexor strech beforehand in not

solely streching motion (ok, if you figured that sentence out, you are

good hehe). And good morning would give some extra work on rikishi's back

which is important in sumo too.

Shiko also has some definite solemnity in it. Ancient move which has not

evolved much (or has it?). Proven good throughout the years and the corner

stone of any rikishi's life in sumo! Shiko has unique reverence in my mind

and it serves its users' needs in developing SUMO strength and

functionality. Shiko is simple but yet so complicated, it can be spiced up

with variations easily. Terao's tip to Azuma was once to do shiko with

hands in front, one can use ankle weights to add resistance and difficulty

and the depth of the squat at the starting position is easily adjusted.

The streching part of the moves can be adjusted to meet the needs too.

Shiko is the core and anything that is core, is solemn in one way or the

other.

We have many forum members who do shiko in their training. Would be nice

to hear your thoughts of shiko and whether you have different views than

mine above etc.!

For people who never do shiko, try it in the mornings before work, do some

shiko when you are pissed off, do some shiko when watching sumo and if you

go to gym, cause confusion with a determined series of shiko!!!

I like Asashoryu's, KaioU's, Chiyotaikai's, Tochiazuma's shiko. Many other

shiko are good too. I never understood why some rikishi do utterly

pathetic shiko at shikiri. Asanowaka is a joke and MIyabiyama's shiko

looks rather awful too.

Shiko to school curriculum!

;-) ;-) ;-)

For people who never do shiko, try it in the mornings before work, do some shiko when you are pissed off, do some shiko when watching sumo and if you go to gym, cause confusion with a determined series of shiko!!!

I do shikko three/ four times a day, only when I'm pissed.

At the recent Sumo WM in Riesa, on both evenings right before the finals started, the announcer (ex-Judo champion Alexander von der Groeben) explained various sumo techniques and rituals to the audience, illustrated by two rikishi.

Saturday's audience got lucky with the presentation done by two members of the Japanese team, both very proficient with what they did. The shiko in particular was beautifully executed, with one rikishi doing almost a full spread high in the air.

Sunday, on the other hand, was awful. The Japanese obviously had enough of their share, and two of the lower ranked Germans stepped in. It was a pain to watch...

I do  shikko three/ four times a day, only when I'm pissed.

Ah...I almost missed this. Is it intentional or a typo.

Because in Japanese, "Shikko" or "Oshikko" means to "urinate".

It's understandable while you can be doing it while pissed.

OTOH if you are doing shiko while urinating, that could be ...well you get the picture :-/

Edited by Jonosuke

I echo the comments about the poor shiko of the Germans in the demonstration (thank you for also telling me who the guy was). The Japanese lightweight girl(possibly the middleweight?) had a brilliantly high shiko, probably about 160 degrees. I guess it might be easier for girls in terms of muscle mass in different muscle groups etc. I am sure that KKM can tell us all about that.

I do  shikko three/ four times a day, only when I'm pissed.

Ah...I almost missed this. Is it intentional or a typo.

Because in Japanese, "Shikko" or "Oshikko" means to "urinate".

It's understandable while you can be doing it while pissed.

OTOH if you are doing shiko while urinating, that could be ...well you get the picture :-)

The legendary wit strikes again! (Laughing...)

..."while pissing" would be correct grammatically, but I think Kinta-san may have been pointing out the pun in the original post... :-/

I admit to all counts. Sometimes, grammar loses to attempt at humor.

Back to shiko with single "k". :-)

I found it much harder -> better for leg muscles if I don't put my hands on tighs while doing shiko... I guess that way my whole upper body weight is carried directly by leg muscles. Oh, and I'm dead after 15 squats per each leg... :-/

Well, great shiko story!

I have added shiko in my training 2 years ago. I train every second day, yesterday I did about 690 shiko. (no joke) A few years ago I trained my legs in fitness studios with machines or I made squats. But when I saw the sumo wrestlers legs I just thought "How the hell can one develope such legs like Wakanohana!?". The answer is through shiko. It really is the perfect workout for the legs and for the lower body. So if you want to strengthen your legs don't waste time with some machines in the fitness studio, make shiko. Since I do it, I can run faster, I can jump wider. Especially in judo training it's very useful to add shiko in training because as Kaikitsune added it's good for balance and the whole lower body.

But Kaikitsune is right, you have to do it correct. You don't have to stretch the leg in the air like Katayama does, but as high as possible is good I think. Because you stretch your legs at the same time and you can add more pressure on the other leg. And it really is better to keep the standing leg bent, because that adds pressure to the calve muscles. I think everyone can do good shiko for himself. You just have to do it so, that it costs a lot of power. When it becomes easy to you, like 100 shiko and no exhaustion you have make deeper squats with the other leg. I also think the speed is important. Slow shiko are harder to make than fast ones. I think Kyokushuzans shiko is very fast and lousy, quite like Asanowakas. I don't think that is good. After Katayama the best one is Asashoryu I'd say. He makes shiko in a very low stand and bends his legs very good.

I really would like to know, if Kyokushuzan and Asanowaka make the same lousy shiko in training. Because when you look at their legs, especially Asanowakas, you can see they are good trained.

So, go on with shiko! :-/

Edited by Araiwa

Yokozuna Takanohana had a great one. He had a great balance and his dohyo-iri was a sight to see. Asashoryu really studied his shiko and they both have very higk kick (though I am not a fan of his dohyo-iri. Try finding Chiyonofuji's dohyo-iri, his was pretty impressive).

Didn't Takanohana have his Yokozuna portrait (the one that hangs in the Kokugikan) doing his shiko. As far as most I know are the Yusho winner with their kesho mawashi.

Yokozuna Takanohana is the one Yusho winner in my memory that did not have the kesho mawashi picture for the Yokozuna portrait.

It was the height of Waka/Taka boom and everyone who gave him a kesho mawashi wanted theirs to be the kesho mawashi for Takanohana portrait so the Kyokai became worried that there may be some kind of bidding wars to start and asked Takanaohana to be pictured without any kesho mawashi on.

Getting back to thigh (especially quads) and calf muscle developement on Wakanohana, I believe that probaly came from something else. He used to do lots of sprints and running and heel raises with weight on the shoulders. I know Asashoryu does sprints occasionally so he has good leg muscle developement as well.

As Kakitsune san put it in his detailed post, doing shiko is probably the most important exercise they can do as a rikishi and everything starts from there. Even if you can start from doing several, it's really well worth doing it well, not just for strengthening your lower body but also for developing a proper balance.

Both shikos and suri-ashi look rather easy to do but doing it well with intensity and strictly requires a concentration, endurance as well as good body control and breathing technique.

Perhaps I could start doing more now as some people here who can do over 100 a day.

Yokozuna Takanohana is the one Yusho winner in my memory that did not have the kesho mawashi picture for the Yokozuna portrait.

There's another one of Musashimaru with a plain mawashi - no kesho, no tsuna. But no shiko either, just some kind of fighting stance.

There's another one of Musashimaru with a plain mawashi - no kesho, no tsuna. But no shiko either, just some kind of fighting stance.

Indeed - east (SE) side of the Kokugikan IIRC so at least 18 basho / 3 years from having it taken down.

Also - sporting a burgundy mawashi if memory serves and in the karate 'come on dood, give me your best shot' kind of pose. :-(

I have to ask this but-----------

Does anyone ever fall over during Shiko?

I almost did, couple of times... But a wall or piece of furniture saved me from further embarrasement. :-(

Actually Manekineko I was referring to whether any of the Rikishi have been known to fall over.

Didn't Takanohana have his Yokozuna portrait (the one that hangs in the Kokugikan) doing his shiko. As far as most I know are the Yusho winner with their kesho mawashi.

Hum, I guess you forgot Maru's one for his last yusho, after the last bout between 2 yokozuna. When will we see that again ?

h1409.jpg

Greetings from Paris,

Chienoshima

found it much harder -> better for leg muscles if I don't put my hands on tighs while doing shiko... I guess that way my whole upper body weight is carried directly by leg muscles. Oh, and I'm dead after 15 squats per each leg...

Terao's tip to Azuma :-)

Sure the placing of hands on thighs gives extra support even if you lean only a little bit on the thighs with your arms.

I have added shiko in my training 2 years ago. I train every second day, yesterday I did about 690 shiko. (no joke) A few years ago I trained my legs in fitness studios with machines or I made squats. But when I saw the sumo wrestlers legs I just thought "How the hell can one develope such legs like Wakanohana!?". The answer is through shiko. It really is the perfect workout for the legs and for the lower body. So if you want to strengthen your legs don't waste time with some machines in the fitness studio, make shiko. Since I do it, I can run faster, I can jump wider

690 is insane amount and takes way over 30 minutes, no? I use ankle weights (2kg a piece) and that brings some extra spice to shiko too. Not so sure if shiko is that significant in pure hypertrophy of thighs as it is too light for that although it surely develops strength and size of thigh muscles too. I have always considered rikishi's massive legs as a result of their actual dohyo keiko more than shiko or suriashi or even squatting with other rikishi on the back etc.

There is a LOT of full power leg work in sumo as pushing is so essential. Imagine having the opportunity to do 40 butsugari-drives against a big strong higher ranked rikishi who is good at adjusting his resistance so that the attacker needs to exert enough power! Very efficient for legs, dynamic pumping combined with full propulsion. If you do 10 reps in squat so that the 10th rep depletes the last drop of your thigh power, you have done excellent set which promotes muscle growth and innervation refinement in the muscle but if you do a 20 second oshi-sumo bout on the dohyo, you are pushing with all your power all the time and this is different from that squatting set where the first 7-8 reps are "easy" (even when you are doing the first 7-8 reps with full power it is an "easy" foe). This is why my personal belief is that well-done butsugari and especially training bouts are superior way to work the legs than even the king of all leg exercises, the squat.

Hence it is no wonder rikishi have tremendous leg power and size of quads.

One additional factor is naturally the size of training partners. Take Dejima for example; he was very strong when he joined ozumo but was still able to do keiko against rikishi who could stop his charge so that Deji needed to exert all his already enourmous leg power.

Shiko then complements the equation nicely by giving more deeper squatting for rikishi than training bouts or suriashi

Does anyone ever fall over during Shiko?

When done slowly, shiko also promotes balance and proprioceptics very well and you can always test your balance by maintaining the high posture for few seconds and just feel your body and especially balancing on one foot like that is efficient!

Tilt too much and you may have to make a balance correction hop which is not bad skill in sumo either (Waving white flag...)

690 is insane amount and takes way over 30 minutes, no?

Well, I mix it up with serveral other stuff like squats and push ups. I don't make 690 shiko at once (would be also a strange number). I begin training with 300, then some push ups, then 100, then squats ankles and other stuff, and so on. So it mostly takes 1 hour.

For all who are to lazy:

Here is how I motivate myself to do that:

I "translate" the number of all (shiko, push ups and all) to a 7 or 15 bout score (like 4-3, or 9-6). Then I start from the bottom of a banzuke like training my way up to makuuchi. :-) So you can say, every training session (every second day) is a basho. Its quite funny because if you're to lazy to train its 0-15 and you get demoted. So to become yokozuna or ozeki you have to train very much.

The bad thing is when I forget training I often also "forget" to demote myself afterwards...

Edited by Araiwa

Here is how I motivate myself to do that:

I "translate" the number of all (shiko, push ups and all) to a 7 or 15 bout score (like 4-3, or 9-6). Then I start from the bottom of a banzuke like training my way up to makuuchi. :-) So you can say, every training session (every second day) is a basho. Its quite funny because if you're to lazy to train its 0-15 and you get demoted. So to become yokozuna or ozeki you have to train very much.

A great system I thought I was going to emulate then I started thinking about my past month and realized I am now in Banzuke-gai... (Depressed...)

the squat when done with feet pointing at 180 degrees and slooowly and deeply makes the sweat absolutely pour out of you. for me at about 40 reps my thigh muscles start shaking.

now that i have typed the above i am starting to feel the pain of tomorrow morning already. :'-(

Dittos 1000% on this - the squat is the killer.

See you tomorrow Nishi

in the limited number of training sessions i've had in our sumo club, i'd have to say i don't think i would go along with this.

the squat when done with feet pointing at 180 degrees and slooowly and deeply makes the sweat absolutely pour out of you. for me at about 40 reps my thigh muscles start shaking.

Well squatting like that is hard yes and makes the thighs scream for help in lactic acid agony. However, it doesn't act as a power move for advanced rikishi I dare to say. Developing sheer strength requires heavy loads. In sumo rikishi can't get heavy loads in squats without extra weights. They can get exhausted and last rep can be 100% but it is not against heavy load. On the other hand in training bouts the amount of maximum power exertions from thighs, calves and glutes is often significant and comes from different postures too.

Would like you hear makuuchi rikishi's comments about this. Rikishi do have without exceptions very strong legs but I don't believe that is because they do shiko, suriashi and squats. All are important parts no doubt and necessary but real "secret" of rikishi's leg strength must be in the way sumo is done. There is that nice positive feedback system too since rikishi have so strong legs, they also give a lot more resistance to other rikishi and everyone benefits.

BTW, why 180 degrees angle between feet? Is that the usual way rikishi do squats and why so? What is the reason for that? Perhaps to force the back to remain straight better? Groin flexibility? Is that 180 degrees exaggeration? :-)

Many rikishi do this with weights / sandbags so must work for them.

A rock at Musashigawa if you look at that thread

180 degrees - no exaaggeration I feel - although I sometimes pull it in a few degrees when I'm knackered.

Groin flex BTW - I feel that - definitely / straight back - something I had drilled into me last time so - perhaps yes.

ah, shiko. gees, we used to do shiko soooo much. but it does indeed work. but its not just shiko that strengthens the legs and lower body, but the entire keiko session. it does play a big part, but sparring and those things work very well too. yes, rikishi DO fall over. i have seen many guys fall over, especially when first starting.