Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

4 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Can someone tell me what the taping on the back of Kizakiumi's neck is for?  I just can't think of it's actually function, unless it is a psychological one...

It's to remind him "Don't be stupid. Even injured you can beat Yago this basho"

It worked.

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Can someone tell me what the taping on the back of Kizakiumi's neck is for?  I just can't think of it's actually function, unless it is a psychological one...

It's a warning sign: "please don't touch, my neck may break!". Yago still went for a hatakikomi try, but Kizakiumi survived - and got his amazing first win.

Edited by Akinomaki

10 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

On a related note, I'm not sure whether to be impressed by the fact that Takakgenji is virtually taping-free?  But I wonder if that means that his body is resilient or if he just doesn't try as hard as the other sekitori?

He went flying out of the dohyo and landed on the top of his head two days ago, so my guess is that the tape attaches his head to his neck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why the heck did that gyoji call matta when Chiyoshoma henkaed? That was no matta.

1 minute ago, Rocks said:

Why the heck did that gyoji call matta when Chiyoshoma henkaed? That was no matta.

I replayed it and I thought Chiyoshoma had neither hand down on second viewing.  Not sure whether he henka'd deliberately or just realized he was really late on tachiai and jumped out of the way hoping for the matta call.  Wakatakakage was having none of it in the rematch though.

36 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I'm not sure whether to be impressed by the fact that Takakgenji is virtually taping-free?  But I wonder if that means that his body is resilient or if he just doesn't try as hard as the other sekitori?

I guess he is still sticking to old sumo aesthetics taught by Taka and revered by the YDC: tape looks ugly on a rikishi, a real Japanese doesn't do that - Endo is and Kise was in that category: only tape if you can't step onto the dohyo at all without. And the modern backup reasoning is: don't point out your weak point to  your opponent - the opposite of what Kizakiumi is doing.

Edited by Akinomaki

9 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

Then wouldn't Hakuho be the Yokozunaozeki? and they would just have no full yokozuna?

Probably.

what happened in the toyohibiki - asabenkei match?

injury?

"Kotoshougiku was Ozeki for a short time," said today's guest commentator, emphatically.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

"Kotoshougiku was Ozeki for a short time," said today's guest commentator, emphatically.

32 short.......off the head comments can be troublesome.

6 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Come on, Tsurugishio.  Go kyujo for heaven's sake.  

He's doing the Ikioi - there was no and there mustn't be kyujo in the career. He'll go kyujo only if he has to be brought back to the dohyo in that wheelchair he was carried out with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugly but a good win for Yutakayama against the salt thrower.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

32 short.......off the head comments can be troublesome.

The length of Kotoshougiku's Ozeki stint is not an "off the head" answer. Without being exact, everyone knows it was long.. His mawashi color back then would probably receive an off the head answer, though. But length of stay? And length is important, they say.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

The length of Kotoshougiku's Ozeki stint is not an "off the head" answer. Without being exact, everyone knows it was long.. His mawashi color back then would probably receive an off the head answer, though. But length of stay? And Length is important, they say.

He is a newbie but comment had my jaw dropping.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

The length of Kotoshougiku's Ozeki stint is not an "off the head" answer. Without being exact, everyone knows it was long.. His mawashi color back then would probably receive an off the head answer, though. But length of stay? And Length is important, they say.

I believe the girth of one's Ozeki reign is more important. Giku's was moderately girthy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

I believe the girth of one's Ozeki reign is more important. Giku's was moderately girthy.

Technique is also important, I am told as well.

Just now, Kintamayama said:

Technique is also important, I am told as well.

Indeed, though nothing wrong with being a master of just one technique. It's all fun and games trying out new things, but at the end of the day sometimes you just need to rub bellies. Giku has that one down.

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Indeed, though nothing wrong with being a master of just one technique. It's all fun and games trying out new things, but at the end of the day sometimes you just need to rub bellies. Giku has that one down.

Okuridashi is thought to be an excellent alternative by some commentators..

• Haha 2

But Enho is just a fluke, right? lol

Edited by Dwale
sarcasm clarified

Abema showed the first 9 10 kensho for the E-E bout - a disappointment for me, I had hoped for more, especially on nakabi - and then switched to replay, but the announcement had the Morinaga-sho on the bout as well - that always parades later. Hopefully NHK caught that - only from afar of course.

Edit: NHK from above, easier to count, showed 1 more that paraded with the Morinaga-sho

Edited by Akinomaki

5 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

You got love the little one

Yeah, the little dude rocks.     OTOH, Endo didn't have a clue or plan to handle Enho.   

• Like 1

Takayasu sits on a knife edge now. He must stay perfect for the next seven days, which I can't see happening in any timeline.

Meanwhile, the highest-ranked rikishi left in the basho and the lowest-ranked Maegashira on the banzuke are tied for the lead along with Shodai. Will it be a Takayusho, a Tokuryusho or a Yushodai? (Yeah, that was lame, but I'm hitting "save" anyway. Deal with it.)

Edited by Eikokurai

Takayasu is really fighting to keep the ozeki return chance - but now the chance dropped below 1%