Sign in to follow this  
Otokonoyama

Araiso activities

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2013 at 17:20, Akinomaki said:

HF and fish-cap Sakana-kun with kids letting carp banners fly on the 22nd, especially done on childrens day (5.5.)

Photo report http://www.mhlw.go.jp/photo/2013/04/ph0422-01.html

On 23/04/2018 at 15:44, Akinomaki said:
On 21/04/2014 at 17:29, Akinomaki said:

At the Welfare ministry today: the Koi-nobori banner hoisting ceremony for the child welfare week starting on kids day (5.5.) with Kakuryu and Sakana-kun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwUarlmJwvU

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/photo/2014/04/ph0421-01.html

The traditional event with always Sakana-kun, again with Kakuryu and also Kumamon this year - Kyodo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sxjPc0IRXI

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/photo/2018/04/ph0423-01.html

Araiso is taking over the event for the child welfare week from the active yokozuna, who now are too busy at the jungyo - with Sakana-kun as always  http://this.kiji.is/492892860300510305

sty1904220007-p3.jpg

sty1904220007-g1.jpgo sty1904220007-g2.jpgo

TBS news Yahoo video https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/jnn?a=20190422-00000032-jnn-soci

-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy9qbDyc5WY

2017 instead of injured new yokozuna Kisenosato, sekiwake Takayasu did the koinobori ceremony https://www.mhlw.go.jp/photo/2017/04/ph0425-01.html

ph0425-01d.jpg

2009 Hakuho

ph0427-01b.jpgo

2010 Baruto

ph0426-01d.jpgo

2011 Hakuho https://www.mhlw.go.jp/photo/2011/04/ph0417-01.html

2012 Kakuryu - no sakana-kun till then

ph0423-01c.jpgo

2015 & 2016 Hakuho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0PVpnUo_xE

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/photo/2015/04/ph0427-01.html

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/photo/2016/04/ph0425-01.html

The event takes place since 1958, each year with a rikishi - I have found no list yet - 2001 it was Kaio

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In the afternoon, Araiso was at the preview for the new special Kisenosato exhibition in the sumo museum, till June 14th, starting tomorrow - 80 items, especially the Hokuto-no ken manga yokozuna kesho mawashi set, with Rao for him

D4wWeJvUYAAobuy.jpg:thumbo MNvJeBNSHXTxlHn_.jpg:thumbD4wWkVwUwAA15de.jpg:thumbo

D4wWuQXU8AAQJI-.jpg:thumbo D4wSGKYU4AAXX_b.jpg:thumbo 201904220000717-w200_0.jpgo   spo1904220033-n1.jpgo  20190422-OYT1I50082-1.jpg?type=mediumo

his first set from his local koenkai

s.jpg 20190422at76S_t.jpgo sty1904220017-g2.jpgo 

20190422s00005000352000p_thum.jpgo  20190422-OHT1I50141-N.jpgoD4wWwdoUYAAFScl.jpg:thumbo201904220000717-w200_1.jpgo  20190422-191811-1-0000_m.jpgvid

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully this is the right place for this?

Split personality oyakata Kise/Araiso gets a snazzy new suit for the coming basho created for him specially by Desanto sportswear and Aoyama (洋服の青山 not 碧山) a tailor of businesswear.

Kise/Araiso commented the suit was "very light weight.. not at all like a normal suit" and he's been researching via the internet on how best to wear it. Since his retirement he's been slowly getting used to the fact that after keiko he no longer dresses in kimono.
After years of life as a rikishi, he must now wear the uniform of an oyakata and look to the future. Kise/Araiso says through 'trial and error' he promises to succeed.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/05/11/kiji/20190511s00005000125000c.html

Very cute, no?...

20190511s00005000124000p_view.jpg

 

20190511s00005000122000p_view.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Exhibit at the Kokugikan museum until June 14, Araiso oyakata there for some in person commentary.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOigVZ4AKV8

Exhibit at the Kokugikan museum until June 14, Araiso oyakata there for some in person commentary.

I was waiting for this 2nd part of Kise explaining himself his exhibition - the first is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWIo5VrcI1M

The best exhibition ever at the sumo museum (at least for me): 5 yokozuna kesho mawashi sets, 2 shimekomi, 2 tachi, 2 kimono, a tsuna, akeni and a few minor items - the videos were apparently recorded at this preview event

On 22/04/2019 at 19:08, Akinomaki said:

In the afternoon, Araiso was at the preview for the new special Kisenosato exhibition in the sumo museum, till June 14th, starting tomorrow - 80 items, especially the Hokuto-no ken manga yokozuna kesho mawashi set, with Rao for him

D4wWeJvUYAAobuy.jpg:thumbo MNvJeBNSHXTxlHn_.jpg:thumbD4wWkVwUwAA15de.jpg:thumbo

 201904220000717-w200_0.jpgo  

his first set from his local koenkai

 20190422at76S_t.jpgo

 20190422-OHT1I50141-N.jpgo

 

Edited by Akinomaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And now, a driver's license. Araiso is taking driving lessons together with kids from high school. This is the first time he's studying for anything since he went to the sumo institute when he was 17.  He took a lecture, and when he turned the steering wheel later using one hand, he was told to "get both yer hands on the wheel!!", not by Kounosuke.  He climbed to the highest rank in sumo, but as a driver, he's a shindeshi.  When he was a kid he had a dream-to drive a sports car, and is very serious about getting the license, just like he is about everything sumo..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

And now, a driver's license. Araiso is taking driving lessons together with kids form high school. This is the first time he's studying fro anything since he went to the sumo institute when he was 17.  He took a lecture, and when he turned the steering wheel later using one hand, he was told to "get both yer hands on the wheel!!", not by Kounosuke.  He climbed to the highest rank in sumo, but as a driver, he's a shindeshi.  When he was a kid he had a dream-to drive a sports car, and is very serious about getting the license, just like he was about everything sumo..

Sorry for this being a bit off topic, but sometimes i imagine how i'd feel, if i were to become a rikishi. 200+ km/h on the Autobahn to Frankfurt airport and 12 hours later in Tokio i wouldn't even be allowed to drive at all. Disturbing.

Araiso not ceasing to amaze and impress. Future chairman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

he was told to "get both yer hands on the wheel!!", not by Kounosuke

(Whateverabove,itisfunny...)

(not sure where the rofl emoticon went, so this one has to do)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

And now, a driver's license. Araiso is taking driving lessons together with kids from high school. This is the first time he's studying for anything since he went to the sumo institute when he was 17.  He took a lecture, and when he turned the steering wheel later using one hand, he was told to "get both yer hands on the wheel!!", not by Kounosuke.  He climbed to the highest rank in sumo, but as a driver, he's a shindeshi.  When he was a kid he had a dream-to drive a sports car, and is very serious about getting the license, just like he is about everything sumo..

So why are oyakata permitted to drive but rikishi are not? What’s the historical reasoning behind that decision? (I’m not actually expecting you to know; I’m just pondering aloud.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, 'they' know! It was discussed in the thread about Osunaarashi getting caught after crashing his car. From my admittedly shaky memory it's a relatively recent ban, and it's simply due to the bad publicity when high-profile rikishi have accidents while driving. Typical NSK knee-jerk reaction.

Cue one of the forum elders who knows far more about it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banning all rikishi from driving because Mitoizumi came off his motorcycle and had to go kyujo with cuts to his face (which is what it says in the Osunaarashi scandal thread) is what I call a typical knee-jerk reaction. And it happened in the mid-eighties, which I regard as recent relative to the history of ozumo. To-may-to, to-mah-to...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm, if you want to drive you don’t have to be a rikishi. I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to follow certain rules or complain about why said rules are put in place. This is the choice you make if you are wanting to be part of an organization. What’s so hard to understand about it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

Umm, if you want to drive you don’t have to be a rikishi. I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to follow certain rules or complain about why said rules are put in place. This is the choice you make if you are wanting to be part of an organization. What’s so hard to understand about it?

Because some rules just have no logical justification. Where is the logic behind a driving ban for rikishi?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Umm, if you want to drive you don’t have to be a rikishi. I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to follow certain rules or complain about why said rules are put in place. This is the choice you make if you are wanting to be part of an organization. What’s so hard to understand about it?

Ah, the eternal conflict between the rules-is-rules and rules-are-made-to-be-broken philosophies... has nothing to do with Eikokurai asking why the driving ban came about!

And while rikishi are bound by the rules of the NSK, I am not, so I can comment on the driving ban however I want to. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does he have the drivers license already?

sum19062919220006-p1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Ah, the eternal conflict between the rules-is-rules and rules-are-made-to-be-broken philosophies... has nothing to do with Eikokurai asking why the driving ban came about!

And while rikishi are bound by the rules of the NSK, I am not, so I can comment on the driving ban however I want to. 

I'm not reacting to Eikokurai's asking why the driving ban came around. I'm reacting to your seemingly high horse comment to it being a "typical knee-jerk reaction." As you mentioned, you are not be bound to the rules of the NSK, which is perfectly fine and you are perfectly free to comment about it. But all I seem to be reading from you is nothing more than complaints, is there anything that you plan on doing to convince them to change their minds? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can think of a couple of reasons why rikishis are not allowed to drive and I can see how they could affect rules concerning their behavior. Rikishis are unusually large people who are operating vehicles designed for much smaller individuals. They may not feel completely comfortable in such an environment and that could affect their judgment when operating a vehicle--which could result in an accident. This doesn't make much sense to me but it could to the people who are running sumo.

A second and more logical reason is that rikishis are known to consume large quantities of alcohol. I'm sure driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal in Japan and if a rikishi is found to be driving while intoxicated, that will negatively affect the way sumo is perceived by the public. It almost certainly will result in severe penalties to the riksihi both in legal terms and his standing in the sumo community. 

If they are unable to operate an automobile, there seems to be no limit as to how much alcohol rikishis can drink. I would think that excessive drinking by rikishis would never be penalized by those in charge as long as they report for training in sober condtion--unless of course it results in hitting someone else with a bottle or a remote control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

… all I seem to be reading from you is nothing more than complaints...

I'm very sorry if it comes across that way. Actually I love ozumo just as it is, with all it's imperfections and ludicrous idiosyncrasies. 

However, if indeed the Kyokai imposed a permanent driving ban on all rikishi as a result of Mitoizumi falling off a motorbike, then that seems to be a prime example of a knee-jerk reaction. If you want another one, there's the very recent ban on having kids on the dohyo with rikishi at jungyo events. Such reactionary behaviour from the elders is one of very few things I would wish to see moderated, not that I'm in any position to even try to elicit change in the organisation.

Mods: This thread appears to have been well and truly hijacked. Maybe this driving ban discussion should be split off into another thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, sekitori said:

I can think of a couple of reasons why rikishis are not allowed to drive and I can see how they could affect rules concerning their behavior. Rikishis are unusually large people who are operating vehicles designed for much smaller individuals. They may not feel completely comfortable in such an environment and that could affect their judgment when operating a vehicle--which could result in an accident. This doesn't make much sense to me but it could to the people who are running sumo.

A second and more logical reason is that rikishis are known to consume large quantities of alcohol. I'm sure driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal in Japan and if a rikishi is found to be driving while intoxicated, that will negatively affect the way sumo is perceived by the public. It almost certainly will result in severe penalties to the riksihi both in legal terms and his standing in the sumo community. 

If they are unable to operate an automobile, there seems to be no limit as to how much alcohol rikishis can drink. I would think that excessive drinking by rikishis would never be penalized by those in charge as long as they report for training in sober condtion--unless of course it results in hitting someone else with a bottle or a remote control. 

If being fat would make you unfit to drive, a large portion of the (just for example) mexican and american population is unfit to drive.

Since Saudi Arabia - as last country - lifted the driving ban for women, there are - apart from being underage or intoxicated at the moment - only 4  groups of people i can think of worlwide banned from driving:

- people who lost their license to speeding or DUI, etc. - by law

- mentally handicapped - by law

- (almost) blind people - by law

- active rikishi - NOT by law

There are other people who are banned from driving (not by law), for their own security, i.e. high profile execs or politicians like the POTUS. But those people have cars and drivers to ferry them around.

Any argument involving the body - apart from the seeing stuff - or it's size is not very credible. I personally know a guy who lost left leg and arm, absolutely no problem with driving. There are people without arms, doing all the driving stuff with their feet only. And for fat, see above.

Yes, from everything you can read on the forum, this ban exists mainly to avoid bad PR. But as Osunaarashi and others proved, that doesn't work that well and the backlash is even stronger then. Any way, the NSK has to face bad PR.

A simple method for solving - or at least minimizing - the problem would be better transportation for rikishi, like cars and drivers for heya and free cabs. And future cars will have the ability to recognize if the current driver is intoxicated, without the possibility to cheat. Systems with a lower level of intelligence (i.e. sleep warners) are getting mainstream at the moment, so it's only a matter of a few years for those anti-intox systems to be a standard, too.

But we - and the rikishi - will have to cope with the NSKs decision, until the NSK changes it's mind. C'est la vie.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/06/2019 at 14:32, RabidJohn said:

Oh, 'they' know! It was discussed in the thread about Osunaarashi getting caught after crashing his car. From my admittedly shaky memory it's a relatively recent ban, and it's simply due to the bad publicity when high-profile rikishi have accidents while driving. Typical NSK knee-jerk reaction.

Cue one of the forum elders who knows far more about it...

I know why rikishi are banned. My query was really why the oyakata aren’t covered by the same rules. They gave themselves a handy exception when they implemented that policy, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I know why rikishi are banned. My query was really why the oyakata aren’t covered by the same rules. They gave themselves a handy exception when they implemented that policy, eh?

Lol - now you tell us!

I shall have to read posts more carefully...

Edited by RabidJohn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this